2012-2013 Passat Turbocharger Warranty Extended to 10 years/120,000 Miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I read somewhere that the 2015 TDI engine will be using a Garrett turbocharger. I can't find that statement at the moment, so I could have been imagining it. :eek:
Haha - I've been PM'ed a bunch of times by people asking about the "power struggle" between Garrett and Borg-Warner. Someone on the 'club is spreading some wild stories. Nevertheless, I'd rather have a Garrett!! Plus, in the US at least, Garrett distributors are much easier to work with!

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I believe that this is the case. I believe, based on VW's response, that the problem is more than likely greater than what we see reported here. I base this on past responses from VW.

Regardless, I would guess that the documentation of this problem on this page motivated VW to make the correct, albeit expensive, decision.
I received my letter today but its too late for me. I honestly expected this problem to be treated the same as the HPFP issue. I am happy for those who kept the faith in VW and wish all of you the best of luck with your Passat TDI's.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
My letter arrived in the mail today. When it takes a dump, I'm having a Garrett installed!

detroit9k

TDI
2013 PASSAT SEL DSG
Got mine today! W00t! Stopped reading the turbo failure forum for a few months, so I was out of the loop. Happy surprise!

I guess this means I won't be tinkering with a Canadian DPF delete/retune to prolong turbo life. Oh well. Wasn't looking forward to upgrading my family sedan to roll (wisps of) smoke anyway.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
got my letter! So much for modding after warranty expires! lol
I was thinking the exact same thing, although the only reason I was going to mod was to pro long the turbo life with a tune/delete but now im good to go worry free up to 120k.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and profess that the turbo failure in these cars is a much bigger problem than just the ones posted on this site. Why else would VW send a "Warranty Extension Reimbursement Form" with their "Warranty Extension" paperwork?

VW has a turd on their hands with the turbo failures on the 2012-2014 TDI Passats,
I disagree completely with your logic. VW includes that reimbursement form with every recall letter.

By your logic, I guess those headlights are real turds too because the hood could potentially close too hard, breaking the bulbs...got a recall notice and reimbursement form for that too.

By this site's logic, my HPFP should have blown up miles ago leaving me with a $10k repair bill for my Jetta. I should sell the god damn thing while it still runs!

By this site's logic, all dealerships (*ahem* stealerships) are incompetent.

Here's the truth. All cars have problems. And all brand-new cars (such as the NMS) with no prior generation will have weak links that appear while they cut their teeth (e.g., the headlight and turbo recall). And, whether it be the Jetta/Golf's HPFP, the Passat's Turbo, the Xbox 360's Red-Ring-of-Death...the internet will most likely make the issue appear much greater than it really is...as only those with negative things to say complain.

I guarantee you if the issue was that "much bigger than [just this site]" our nation's sensationalist media would be ALL OVER IT. Until I see a post about TDI turbo failures on Autoblog ;)...

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
[...the internet will most likely make the issue appear much greater than it really is...as only those with negative things to say complain.

I guarantee you if the issue was that "much bigger than [just this site]" our nation's sensationalist media would be ALL OVER IT. Until I see a post about TDI turbo failures on Autoblog ;)...[/QUOTE]

I've thought from day one the argument you are advancing is faulty. Sure people that experience problems with cars, esp. new cars seek help/direction on the internet,
But, if you sample the ratio of failures on this board to the total of members that joined prior to having a turbo failure, I think you would
not be too far off in the percentage of failure rate. And, I might also advance the opinion that with the high percentage or really anal owners here, that monitor regens, etc. that the failure percentage might be influenced to the lower end.
Anyway, thas wot I think.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I've thought from day one the argument you are advancing is faulty. Sure people that experience problems with cars, esp. new cars seek help/direction on the internet,

But, if you sample the ratio of failures on this board to the total of members that joined prior to having a turbo failure, I think you would
not be too far off in the percentage of failure rate. And, I might also advance the opinion that with the high percentage or really anal owners here, that monitor regens, etc. that the failure percentage might be influenced to the lower end.
I disagree. Just from the simple fact that typing in "TDI", "TDI Failure", "TDI HPFP", "Passat Turbo", etc...one of the first results on Google is this message board and/or the corresponding failure thread. Taking the Passat Turbo Failure thread that Google links to as an example: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375789

You immediately get pushed through to a survey sheet to fill out. There are more complaints listed there regarding failed turbos than there are reported to the NHTSA for the entire Passat altogether!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Have you analyzed the data that you are mentioning in the post above? If so, I'd love to see that analysis.

If you search google for "Passat TDI turbo failure," you will be taken here - to TDIClub, where you will most likely join so that you can share your experience. This is *the place* to go for people who have had turbo failures and other problems.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Have you analyzed the data that you are mentioning in the post above? If so, I'd love to see that analysis.

If you search google for "Passat TDI turbo failure," you will be taken here - to TDIClub, where you will most likely join so that you can share your experience. This is *the place* to go for people who have had turbo failures and other problems.
I'll analyze that data further when I get home. I'm actually at work right now :p.

Your second sentence pretty much makes my point exactly. People are led here to complain and seek help. The result of that being exactly my point...looking at this message board...why would anyone buy a TDI?!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oops, looks like you snuck a post in before my reply to rustycat. I'm in agreement with you that a lot of people come here as a result of problems.

Prime Power

TDI
B7 Passat
I just got my letter in the mail today I did not know that it was a problem with these. What is going on with them? Is there a common problem? My last car was a Subaru and they did not tell anyone about a banjo bolt going to the oil line for the turbo.That is what caused their problem. I have about 30,000 miles on my car with no issues yet.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
You will find another thread in this section of the forum dealing with some turbo failures. No one knows how many....except VW, and, like the tar baby, they ain't sayin' nothin'.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
Just got my letter today

Since mine has a Malone tune I felt i would be automatically denied but looking at the flip side of the letter under "what is not covered under this warranty extension"

The first paragraph states

"Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA or non-CARB certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components ("chipped" or "tuned" ECMs) not approve by Volkswagen.

I wonder if the turbo failed in a manner consistent with non tuned vehicles would they still deny warranty or do they have to prove that the tune caused the problem to deny warranty?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^^^

There's a reason for the saying "No man is a judge in his own case." The problem with anything like this is that, absent impartial arbitration, VW is going to be the judge of what caused the failure. Given the fine print reproduced above, I'm betting they'll invoke that language to disallow any warranty repair.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Rico...

My experience is 180 degrees the opposite of your suspicion. My turbo failed and VoA went over and above to make me whole. Only one question was asked as the car had 15k on the clock and I had refused the dealer service. That being a request for proof of proper oil and filter at 10k miles which was absolutely reasonable.

If I were to be asked my opinion about the failed components my guess would be that within a number of batches received at the factory or inventoried at the maker were a number of substandard units. Whether the inventory of turbos was used as FIFO or just randomly pulled from inventory either by the OEM or at VW I can't say.

In any case I believe that VW has been unable to identify exactly where these units might have ended up or even which units might be more suspect than others. Absent of this knowledge and aware of the potential problem I believe VW did the right thing as indicated by the warranty extension.

Worries about denial in case of a problem in the future? The disclaimer is necessary as I see it. Boilerplate if you will. A modified vehicle will generally be denied for cause... Or at least can be denied. On the other hand an unmolested car will be covered without question as long as proper service has been performed. My impression of VoA is that they're aware of their image and are attempting to make a positive change.

One suggestion should any of you experience a problem. Be civil, be reasonable, and be firm. Your dealer and the regional rep will tend to decide your fate. Get them on your side and the rest will be easy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I know of two owners with tuned Passats that have had turbos replaced and covered under warranty (not the extended one, but bumper-to-bumper). I am skeptical about whether or not dealers would look for, or be able to identify if they do look, a tuned car.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
I guarantee you if the issue was that "much bigger than [just this site]" our nation's sensationalist media would be ALL OVER IT. Until I see a post about TDI turbo failures on Autoblog ;)...

I disagree. Turbo failures aren't exactly "safety" problems, so the general media probably doesn't give 2 squirts of piss. On the other hand, look at the outsized attention the GM ignition problems have gotten, and that's only a handful of cases. But since it's considered a "safety" hazard, they swarm.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I disagree. Turbo failures aren't exactly "safety" problems, so the general media probably doesn't give 2 squirts of piss. On the other hand, look at the outsized attention the GM ignition problems have gotten, and that's only a handful of cases. But since it's considered a "safety" hazard, they swarm.
Since when is your car losing all power and stalling, most frequently on the highway, not a "safety" concern?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since when is your car losing all power and stalling, most frequently on the highway, not a "safety" concern?
Not in my opinion. I think most of us have the skills to deal with a car stalling. Just like we are able to deal with running out of fuel, or a flat tire. I don't expect the government to protect me from those events, nor would I this one.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Not in my opinion. I think most of us have the skills to deal with a car stalling. Just like we are able to deal with running out of fuel, or a flat tire. I don't expect the government to protect me from those events, nor would I this one.
TDIClub is not representative of the general population, at all.

People can barely drive safely as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.