intermittent no starts Culprit: IP Plug

whoabeats

TDI
98 RIP, 00 chugging along
So in the past couple months I have had an infrequent, but irritating problem with my 00 alh. After driving the car and having no symptoms I will shut down the car. A few minutes later when I try to restart it the engines turns over very quickly as it should, but the engine never fires.

Because I could tell I had plenty of starter power and since it has been warmer weather I knew I wasn't getting fuel to the injectors. Also note there was no flashing gp or cels at this time of no start. Being that the IP is mechanically driven, but electronically controlled I assumed electronics were my issue. Also the first time this happened I was stranded at a burger joint on my lunch break from work and I did not want to have to call for a ride. Only thing I could do without having tools I unplugged the IP main harness connector. Everything looked fine with the connector including the weather seal. I plugged it back in and the car fired up as if nothing happened. This has probably happened 4 or 5 times total within 3 months.

This happened again today after stopping at a yard sale and it was quite embarrassing to have to get out of my car that wouldn't start and play with this plug until my car fired up. Even worse this time was the first time I had to unplug and re install the plug multiple times for success.

Has anyone had this type of issue or any ideas of remedies that I could try?

Thanks

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm guessing that fiddling with that cable connector is probably unrelated.

With your EGR delete is the ASV still in place? That could be sticking closed.
Did you notice whether the glow plug light was coming on at all (ie 3 sec lamp test)? If not that would be an indication of relay 109 issue.
Any signs of air in your fuel line?

whoabeats

TDI
No signs of air in the fuel. And I'm certain there was no flash of the glow plug lamp. I will look into the ASV, because it is still equipped. Im wondering if it happens again if anyone knows if there is anywhere on the pump I can check for a voltage with the ignition on or with the starter activated? That way to see if it is the plug not supplying power to the IP or something seperate.

yk2jetta

TDI
2000 Jetta
Good Afternoon,

Had the same problem with my 00 this time last year. I noticed when it would not start the check engine light never came on during the start sequence, most noticeably with the key in the on position. This is an indication there is no power to the ECU. Installed spare 109 relay - problem solved.

whoabeats

TDI
Good Afternoon,

Had the same problem with my 00 this time last year. I noticed when it would not start the check engine light never came on during the start sequence, most noticeably with the key in the on position. This is an indication there is no power to the ECU. Installed spare 109 relay - problem solved.
Ok thanks I'll give that a whirl.