P3Cars Digital Vent Gauge - Anyone Using?

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE

I installed the device after work in the parking garage. It took about 10 minutes. I think they did a nice job with it. Here is the video install how to that I believe is not currently published on the website.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That's great LokiWolf. I think the digital display blends in rather nicely with the rest of the instrument cluster and panels. I feel a little more informed and very grateful for the conversations, on this forum, that led me to this decision.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Thanks for the install pics on the Passat. It does look like its well integrated into the vent. I feel the same way about the display, its aesthetically similar to the MFI. Ultimately I really like the integrated look. collector_edi, How do you like its functionality?

Again many thanks!

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Thanks for the install pics on the Passat. It does look like its well integrated into the vent. I feel the same way about the display, its aesthetically similar to the MFI. Ultimately I really like the integrated look. collector_edi, How do you like its functionality?
Again many thanks!
You're more than welcome. It's a plug and play installation and there are configuration settings that I haven't poked around with as of yet. Fit and finish is awesome and I feel more connected with the vehicle. Knowing exactly what the operating temperature is and monitoring EGT's feels a bit engaging along with the driving factors of the vehicle in and of itself. Driving home EGT's remained in the range of 440 and 690. Mostly in the 4 hundreds and that commute was 37 miles.
I took a short trip, dropping the kids off to school, and noticed EGT's remained lower when manually shifting on an engine that was 90 degrees when pulling out of the garage. I didn't go over 40 and EGT'S didn't spike over 600. When I drove in automatic it appeared to spike higher on a cold engine. Please take this with a grain of salt as I am new to diesels and have only been in the car twice since installing.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
You're more than welcome. It's a plug and play installation and there are configuration settings that I haven't poked around with as of yet. Fit and finish is awesome and I feel more connected with the vehicle. Knowing exactly what the operating temperature is and monitoring EGT's feels a bit engaging along with the driving factors of the vehicle in and of itself. Driving home EGT's remained in the range of 440 and 690. Mostly in the 4 hundreds and that commute was 37 miles.
I took a short trip, dropping the kids off to school, and noticed EGT's remained lower when manually shifting on an engine that was 90 degrees when pulling out of the garage. I didn't go over 40 and EGT'S didn't spike over 600. When I drove in automatic it appeared to spike higher on a cold engine. Please take this with a grain of salt as I am new to diesels and have only been in the car twice since installing.

Cool. Please post (or PM me) additional info on functionality as you use it more. I am really leaning this way for an integrated look. Although I really liked my scan gauge, I want to keep the finish as clean as I can. My primary intent for daily use is monitoring regens.

Thanks Again!

Aaron

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It would appear that you're monitoring one of the downstream EGT probes and not the one pre-turbo.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It would appear that you're monitoring one of the downstream EGT probes and not the one pre-turbo.
That could be a problem...I won't have mine until next week, but I will get it installed as soon as I get it, and compare it to the numbers I know mine runs.

If it is the wrong one, I am sure I can get P3 to change the measuring block it is going after.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Aaron - Check out Advance Auto Parts for the ScanGauge. They have a coupon right now "WD10" that brings the total price to $109.99. I love my scangauge and have it mounted on top of my steering column below my gauges.
Thanks for the code...snagged a scan gauge for the 109 price shipped free.

I really like that new p3 gauge, just a little pricy for now. Will be watching this thread though great find. The clean look is excellent.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
In Arizona,Nevada where I live I don't need anything blocking my AC vent, it gets 120 degrees in summer, I cant wait for my SG2...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In Arizona,Nevada where I live I don't need anything blocking my AC vent, it gets 120 degrees in summer, I cant wait for my SG2...
I live in Las Vegas and I worried about the exact same thing. However, it has proven to be a non-issue. Partially blocking the side vent just increases the flow from the center ones which is actually more beneficial. The AC still pumps out the same amount of air, so it still cools the car just as well. What is truly useless in the desert heat is the indirect (top of dashboard) AC vent in Mk5 Jettas. Bouncing the cold air off of the hot windshield defeats the purpose of having air conditioning.

Secondly, there is no reason why the P3Cars display has to be installed in a vent. Granted, it looks more OEM that way, but the display could actually be mounted just about anywhere in view. The wire to the display is several feet long so you have your choice as to where to mount it. I actually seriously considered putting the display right into my instrument panel.

Have Fun!

Don

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
VeedubTDI and LokiWolf:

I left the config to what the default settings are. Car0 doesn't list the TDI engine. I'm not sure if selecting a different Car setting changes the default settings so I left a message with support.

CONFIGURING GAUGE INSTRUCTIONS:
http://www.p3cars.com/vag-install

The default config settings on the device shipped are as follows:
D.ON
EN.Y
PRO.1
U.BG.Y
SL.80
BST.F
A1.N
A2.N
CLR.C
CAL.B [never showed]
TSI [never showed]
CAR.0

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I live in Las Vegas and I worried about the exact same thing. However, it has proven to be a non-issue. Partially blocking the side vent just increases the flow from the center ones which is actually more beneficial. The AC still pumps out the same amount of air, so it still cools the car just as well. What is truly useless in the desert heat is the indirect (top of dashboard) AC vent in Mk5 Jettas. Bouncing the cold air off of the hot windshield defeats the purpose of having air conditioning.

Secondly, there is no reason why the P3Cars display has to be installed in a vent. Granted, it looks more OEM that way, but the display could actually be mounted just about anywhere in view. The wire to the display is several feet long so you have your choice as to where to mount it. I actually seriously considered putting the display right into my instrument panel.

Have Fun!

Don
Same reason I did not get a New south boost gauge with AC mount, I need me air cold and in me face...plus the SG2 is only 100 bucks and displays all 4 perameters at once, clears and reads codes, can change backlit color, and can be mounted anywhere...

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Support(s) response is that the default settings are the correct settings provided the control box that was shipped had a TDI sticker on it. I popped the panel and verified that it does.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
VeedubTDI and LokiWolf:

I left the config to what the default settings are. Car0 doesn't list the TDI engine. I'm not sure if selecting a different Car setting changes the default settings so I left a message with support.

CONFIGURING GAUGE INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.p3cars.com/vag-install

The default config settings on the device shipped are as follows:

D.ON

EN.Y

PRO.1

U.BG.Y

SL.80

BST.F

A1.N

A2.N

CLR.C

CAL.B [never showed]

TSI [never showed]

CAR.0

I will verify they are reading the correct parameter when I get mine installed.

If they aren't, there will be a phone call, trust me!

What they think the EGT is, and what we actually need might be 2 different things.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I will verify they are reading the correct parameter when I get mine installed.

If they aren't, there will be a phone call, trust me!

What they think the EGT is, and what we actually need might be 2 different things.
Excellent. I received a follow-up email from support. The gentleman also indicated that the control box "has it's own special software." He also indicated the config guide on the website requires updating to reflect that information. He also indicated it's "plug and play out of the box, and only works for this specific car."

From what I can tell there is not a lot of settings on this. There are a couple of analog inputs (brown and blue wire) but I did not do anything with that or ask any questions regarding it.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
More great info folks!

LokiWolf, collector_edi, please post when you know more about which EGT sensor they are programming to monitor.

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Supports response when I asked if the setting was measuring pre-turbo temps or a downstream EGT probe:

"It is the pre-cat sensor., will show over 1000 degrees F when in regen cycle. We chose that location because it is easiest to see a regen based on our testing, as it never really goes above 600 otherwise."

collector_edi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I took a 30 mile trip yesterday. Peak EGT was 597. Ranging speed never exceeded 65 MPH. Turbo peak was 18. I have to say this device blends in extremely well and seeing the vacuum bars and fluctuations with PSI (boost) made me want to stay in the car and keep driving. Hard to believe such a tiny device could add to the modernization of the cabin.

For those who are on the fence, I did not like the price point but have quickly put it behind me. I too saw the alarm clock reference until I did the install. The color matches the rest of the reds and that concern quickly evaporated. Again, the fluctuating bars and instantaneous read outs makes the experience fairly engaging.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Supports response when I asked if the setting was measuring pre-turbo temps or a downstream EGT probe:
"It is the pre-cat sensor., will show over 1000 degrees F when in regen cycle. We chose that location because it is easiest to see a regen based on our testing, as it never really goes above 600 otherwise."
That makes sense, and they are correct that it is the best sensor to use for monitoring regenerations. I prefer to monitor the pre-cat sensor in addition to the pre-turbo sensor... pre-turbo will show you the warm-up routine as well as peak EGTs when climbing hills and whatnot.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Just hopped off the fence, P3 on its way. Time to try something new! Thanks again for all the input folks!

Aaron

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That makes sense, and they are correct that it is the best sensor to use for monitoring regenerations. I prefer to monitor the pre-cat sensor in addition to the pre-turbo sensor... pre-turbo will show you the warm-up routine as well as peak EGTs when climbing hills and whatnot.

I am with VeeDubTDI, I would prefer it to be pre turbo, because I want to see the fluctuations. You will see the regen temps much more quickly. Not to mention once I do a delete in the future the pre turbo becomes more important.

I will be contacting support and possibly returning it. I paid too much for it not to measure the sensor I expect it to.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I am with VeeDubTDI, I would prefer it to be pre turbo, because I want to see the fluctuations. You will see the regen temps much more quickly. Not to mention once I do a delete in the future the pre turbo becomes more important.

I will be contacting support and possibly returning it. I paid too much for it not to measure the sensor I expect it to.
This is interesting. I have had mine for several years (so it is older) and it definitely shows the pre turbo EGT. This must have been something they have changed. I have to be really babying the engine to have EGTs under 600 F. Normal in town driving usually ranges from about 600 to 900 degrees. Idle EGTs are usually under 400 degrees. During regens it is usually between 1200 and 1500 degrees (above the melting temperature of aluminum). Perhaps P3Cars could make these 2 sensors selectable. It is worth asking about. Post DPF EGTs might be better for watching regens, but pre turbo EGTs are more useful for protecting the turbocharger.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I took a 30 mile trip yesterday. Peak EGT was 597. Ranging speed never exceeded 65 MPH.
This seems odd to me. I have one in my '12 Golf and I will see over 1200 degrees in the first couple of miles as part of the warm-up cycle, and 1300+ in regen, 950 at idle during regen. I suppose it's possible that you didn't enter regen in 30 miles, but I would have thought you'd see the warm-up cycle. It's brief, so maybe you were looking at another measure. Also, at cruise (for me higher than 65) it's not uncommon to see 850-950 degrees.

We've got the Passat gauges showing up early next week: I'm going to ask P3Cars if they use the same sensor on that car as in the CBEA/CJAA. Don't see why they wouldn't.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
This seems odd to me. I have one in my '12 Golf and I will see over 1200 degrees in the first couple of miles as part of the warm-up cycle, and 1300+ in regen, 950 at idle during regen. I suppose it's possible that you didn't enter regen in 30 miles, but I would have thought you'd see the warm-up cycle. It's brief, so maybe you were looking at another measure. Also, at cruise (for me higher than 65) it's not uncommon to see 850-950 degrees.

We've got the Passat gauges showing up early next week: I'm going to ask P3Cars if they use the same sensor on that car as in the CBEA/CJAA. Don't see why they wouldn't.
They don't according to their response to EDI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD