High aluminum in oil analysis

Nativefx

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Okay I posted my results in the "fuels & lubricants" but I am at 5K on the current oil in the car and thinking I'm going to change it and sent out for another analysis (I'm currently at 68.5K miles). I read drivebywires post regarding the waste of changing oil in our TDI's early and so all my earlier OCI have been at the recommended 10K intervals. The results I posted have me concerned though. Anyone else do any oil analysis with similar results? Maybe I just need to change oils? Any input would be appreciated.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4450332&postcount=3086

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Okay I posted my results in the "fuels & lubricants" but I am at 5K on the current oil in the car and thinking I'm going to change it and sent out for another analysis (I'm currently at 68.5K miles). I read drivebywires post regarding the waste of changing oil in our TDI's early and so all my earlier OCI have been at the recommended 10K intervals. The results I posted have me concerned though. Anyone else do any oil analysis with similar results? Maybe I just need to change oils? Any input would be appreciated.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4450332&postcount=3086
I would ask them to recheck the sample or supply them with another in 2k. When I dealt with industrial oil and coolant sampling where i worked (GKN Sinter Metals) sometimes there were erroneous levels in the testing and a retest either confirmed the reading and many times it was just a mistake made by the lab tech.

Nativefx

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I would ask them to recheck the sample or supply them with another in 2k. When I dealt with industrial oil and coolant sampling where i worked (GKN Sinter Metals) sometimes there were erroneous levels in the testing and a retest either confirmed the reading and many times it was just a mistake made by the lab tech.
I could see the possibility of a mistake being done on one or the other, but both of these reports were on the same oil but taken at different intervals (5k & 7.5K) and roughly a month apart. Just to clarify, the samples were NOT submitted at the same time.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
You need to post this at BobistheOilGuy.com Those guys know their stuff!

Nativefx

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Thanks, I've already posted over there as well. Some of them suggested I make sure and post in a TDI forum to see if others experienced the same thing or what other oils people are running in case the Liquimoly just doesn't seem to be a good fit.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I've already posted over there as well. Some of them suggested I make sure and post in a TDI forum to see if others experienced the same thing or what other oils people are running in case the Liquimoly just doesn't seem to be a good fit.
Man those guys are into oil over there. I wish you luck, please keep the group updated as you are one of the higher mileage NMS Passat's around.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I could see the possibility of a mistake being done on one or the other, but both of these reports were on the same oil but taken at different intervals (5k & 7.5K) and roughly a month apart. Just to clarify, the samples were NOT submitted at the same time.
OK I didn't understand that there were two samples confirming each other. Then I would change brands of oil now and resubmit in 5k. If that sample returns the same results there is something wrong with your engine beyond the OCI and not oil related.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
You call that high aluminum? Look at this.

This was a bottom drain sample. I understand you can get a more accurate sample from the top with something like this...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

Im not concerned about the "elevated" Al in my oil analysis. Reason being, I dont know how Blackstone generates their "universal averages". Are these just for the CKRA engines in the Passats or is this average for all 2.0L TDI's that they have tested no matter what the mileage.

Also, there is this one....we have an Aluminum Oil Pan....when you think about it, 60 parts per million is pretty small.

Id be more concerned about Chromium and Iron.

One more thing.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/scare-tactic

If your engine is perfectly healthy....why would you send another sample in 5000 miles?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You call that high aluminum? Look at this.

This was a bottom drain sample. I understand you can get a more accurate sample from the top with something like this...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

Im not concerned about the "elevated" Al in my oil analysis. Reason being, I dont know how Blackstone generates their "universal averages". Are these just for the CKRA engines in the Passats or is this average for all 2.0L TDI's that they have tested no matter what the mileage.

Also, there is this one....we have an Aluminum Oil Pan....when you think about it, 60 parts per million is pretty small.

Id be more concerned about Chromium and Iron.

One more thing.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/scare-tactic

If your engine is perfectly healthy....why would you send another sample in 5000 miles?
OK that makes some sense of the situation. How many oil analysis samples from CKRA engines do we have to compare the results with? (Mine has not been tested as I only have 7k miles on it) How many reports does Terry at Blackstone Labs have to make his call on this? Perplexing at times isn't it?

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I agree they should be differentiating between different versions of the VW 2.0 TDI. But overall I think this is a good engine. Significantly more so than previous versions...CBEA CJAA...trust me. I owned a 12 Jetta for 60K...what a pile of junk. Sorry Jetta owners. Worst car I ever owned for multiple reasons. I have a list.

Now on the other hand...this Passat is probably the best car I have ever owned. Go figure.

Back to the OP...I'd be interested in what Oil Bob has to say. Although most of those guys aren't driving Passats but definitely have an opinion.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Now that I look back at my 10k sample, it appears the aluminum was a little high as well. But it appears to be a trend with the CKRA.

I'm not going to panic until further analysis.

If the aluminum numbers were worry some I am sure they would have said something.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
It does not matter if you have "high" AL or not, as far as the need to change the oil goes - PERIOD!!! All particles of a significant size WILL be removed by your oil filter. Any remaining particles will be too small to be of consequence.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Some do but most don't, they just talk to be heard. Many times the info on BITOG is purely anecdotal just a bunch of guys talkin' cool oil stuff (like teenagers would)and some of them are still relating to "Your Father Oldsmobile" when it comes to oil and how it relates to an engine. Don't use their threads as gospel!

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
this would be a good thread to document wear metal trends in the CKRA.

i just did my 40k this morning and was going to get a sample but i couldnt find my blackstone sample jars.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Some do but most don't, they just talk to be heard. Many times the info on BITOG is purely anecdotal just a bunch of guys talkin' cool oil stuff (like teenagers would)and some of them are still relating to "Your Father Oldsmobile" when it comes to oil and how it relates to an engine. Don't use their threads as gospel!
Of course, but doesn't that go with any internet chat board? Same thing occurs here!

this would be a good thread to document wear metal trends in the CKRA.
I nominate this for a sticky!

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My aluminum was higher than yours at my last oil change. The car had only 10k miles on it and the oil had 5k miles. I am getting ready to change it again at 15k miles so we will see if what it is now. There have been numerous reports of high aluminum on these Passats.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My aluminum numbers:
10k miles: 62
25k miles, 5k on the oil: 70
28k miles, 8k on the oil: 82
35.5k miles, 7.5k on the oil: 100
38.7k miles, 10.5k on the oil: 137k

I haven't reported the last UOA to my dealer. So far, they're intrigued, but aren't willing to pursue it further. (My turbo has been "singing" since 7k miles...)

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Al can come from lots of places: Charge air cooler, DPF substrate (I think it has Al2O3 in the substrate) coming through egr, the other exh aftertreatment cats or whatever, any sloughing off gets reingested through lp egr.

Don't assume high Al is coming from the engine eating itself- Cr (ring facing) is near nil, Fe is nice and low- those support a happy engine.

As others have posted, Al seems to trend high on these.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
My aluminum numbers:
10k miles: 62
25k miles, 5k on the oil: 70
28k miles, 8k on the oil: 82
35.5k miles, 7.5k on the oil: 100
38.7k miles, 10.5k on the oil: 137k

I haven't reported the last UOA to my dealer. So far, they're intrigued, but aren't willing to pursue it further. (My turbo has been "singing" since 7k miles...)
Sorry to derail the topic, but, I notice you have mentioned many times that your turbo "sings," and I was wondering what exactly you meant by that. Can you hear it in the cabin with the windows up and climate control and radio off? Or just if you drive around with the window down? Does it sound like the whistle of a normal turbo, or more like a screech of a failing turbo?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Of course, but doesn't that go with any internet chat board? Same thing occurs here!I nominate this for a sticky!
That is why I woild not recommend them to analyze my oil sample. We have Bob Fout and Too Slick here to help us (they both post on BITOG) I think our group has a lot more fact based info than BITOG. This is only my 2 cents.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Sorry to derail the topic, but, I notice you have mentioned many times that your turbo "sings," and I was wondering what exactly you meant by that. Can you hear it in the cabin with the windows up and climate control and radio off? Or just if you drive around with the window down? Does it sound like the whistle of a normal turbo, or more like a screech of a failing turbo?
This thread is about oil analysis not turbo whine please stay with the topic at hand.:D

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I also have to wonder just how many cars made up their "average". I have to believe that the majority of car owners out there aren't getting their used oil tested. I don't know a single person who has paid for this, and I work for an automotive company...so I work with car guys.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
My 10k and 20k analysis had less than 30 ppm Al. Not had 30,40 or 50 tested.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I also have to wonder just how many cars made up their "average". I have to believe that the majority of car owners out there aren't getting their used oil tested. I don't know a single person who has paid for this, and I work for an automotive company...so I work with car guys.
How do people get UOA's for free?

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Interesting, considering we have a group of people in this thread that have provided UOA results.
What he's getting at is what sample size is Blackstone using to create their "average"? If they've had a dozen new Passat's oil analyzed, it is such a small sample size that creating an average to use to alert owners saying that it is high level of AL isn't really relevant data to be basing their observations from.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Tdilast, is that a typo or did your oil really have 137,000 ppm of Al in it ?