New Continental RNS-510 FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
zheka, you sent me a pm but it won't let me reply back to u because you have PMs turned off.

You can email me by adding gmail.com to my username.

Thanks.

-Carl

/**Sent from my iPhone5**/

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
I am using the burn program from Apple that is on my iMac desktop....not a stand alone program. When I select the file I choose burn to disc (cd-r), select speed and let it go. After the burn it also does a verify and it accepts without errors. Are you suggesting I try another burn program and if so which one for a Mac.

Thanks,
I used http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html and used a dvd-r at the slowest speed possible.

Worked for me.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
LokiWolf,

I got your message and appreciate it first off. My next question is about a year ago I did the VIM upgrade so is it safe to say I can skip the first step? I even checked to see if I have the secret menu and I do. So I am thinking I can just start at the firmware step and then on to the maps.

Thoughts?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
watch out!

LokiWolf,

I got your message and appreciate it first off. My next question is about a year ago I did the VIM upgrade so is it safe to say I can skip the first step? I even checked to see if I have the secret menu and I do. So I am thinking I can just start at the firmware step and then on to the maps.

Thoughts?
be forewarned, you will have to pull out your cable after installing the 4366 sw, for updating sw turns off "TESTMODE" so if you ever want to turn off vim change bootlogo etc, you will have to go into adaption and turn test/development mode back on

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
be forewarned, you will have to pull out your cable after installing the 4366 sw, for updating sw turns off "TESTMODE" so if you ever want to turn off vim change bootlogo etc, you will have to go into adaption and turn test/development mode back on
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are saying. If I were to just install 4366 (not VIM) and new map data, would there be any need to use my VCDS?

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
Hey guys,

I keep getting the following error message whenever I try to download the file from the link. Any suggestions? I have tried on 2 different computers for a total of 5 times tonight with no luck. It also has been taking roughly a 1/2 hour to download. It downloads almost all the way to the very end before giving me the error message.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
yes, if you ever plan on changing boot logo, sw downgrades, switch hdds etc then you must enable test mode after installing 4366 because installing new sw's removes the hidden menu which is accessed via holding setup for around 30 seconds
pics are at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/81851580@N03/with/9089796772/
my next thought is: should i re size them or leave them at original size and troll the mobile users:cool:

Last edited:

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
thanks

Yes, there are two ways an iso file can get burned - as a single file sitting inside another iso filesystem, or as a disk image (which is what you want). If you put the disk you just burned back into your computer, what do you see? If just the one file, then the image was not correctly burned . . .

And I burned on Linux, so I don't think WhinDuhs has anything to do with this . . . images are images, so any burner should work *assuming* you have support for burning images. Likely the Mac just decided for you to do it wrong, since they are so dumbed down . . .

- Tim
Tim, although I still need to try it in the car I do see what you mean about disk image. I did not use the utility before just right clicked on the file and selected burn,,,this time in the utility it did reference the ISO file as a disk image. thanks this is likely my problem.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
So quick question: After installing all three updates from Loki, can we also go ahead and do the Boot Logo update? Or will that erase some of the updates? Thanks!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Can somebody PM to me link for download red and speed camera poi? Thanks!
I am not aware of anybody having that yet. I am working on it, but I won't have time to test it until this weekend. If somebody else has it, speak up, and I will stop working on it.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Tim, although I still need to try it in the car I do see what you mean about disk image. I did not use the utility before just right clicked on the file and selected burn,,,this time in the utility it did reference the ISO file as a disk image. thanks this is likely my problem.
Tim, good catch. BD, that would definitely cause the error, and the issues you are having.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys,

I keep getting the following error message whenever I try to download the file from the link. Any suggestions? I have tried on 2 different computers for a total of 5 times tonight with no luck. It also has been taking roughly a 1/2 hour to download. It downloads almost all the way to the very end before giving me the error message.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I will send an alternate link shortly. Give it a try.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Good Catch indeed....

Tim, good catch. BD, that would definitely cause the error, and the issues you are having.

Tim, touche....put the new burned disc in and I did not even get an error message jumped right into the SWL Load...took about 40 mins as LokiWolf indicated. All is working well with my unit number now labeled as J from G and 4366 on the version. Has it improved a lot hard to tell but as one earlier post indicated the buttons do seem much more responsive and I especially like moving through the channels from the wheel and as they change from 6 to 7 you can see the new station call signs.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Glad to have helped! It's nice when it's something easy . . .

I got maps loaded this evening - clean, ran right in, but took about 1:20 and not the 40 to 50 minutes noted. FWIW, the only thing happening on the head while loading was the FM receiver . . .

Things do seem quicker, and as another noted, theb'flat' EQ appears to have become more bass-heavy (a tad too much to me . . . def. *NOT* flat . . . if I get bored, I'll run my audio analyzer on it . . . def boomy now).

- Tim

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Tim, touche....put the new burned disc in and I did not even get an error message jumped right into the SWL Load...took about 40 mins as LokiWolf indicated. All is working well with my unit number now labeled as J from G and 4366 on the version. Has it improved a lot hard to tell but as one earlier post indicated the buttons do seem much more responsive and I especially like moving through the channels from the wheel and as they change from 6 to 7 you can see the new station call signs.

I bought my copy from eBay and i found buttons are more responsive and also back up camera is allot faster .

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
I bought my copy from eBay and i found buttons are more responsive and also back up camera is allot faster .
Bought my copy of ebay too. Buttons seem a bit more responsive, I agree, but backup camera is pretty much the same. It comes on quickly enough, but it takes about 15 seconds to turn off.

Hoping to see an improvement in traffic info showing up. When I leave work, it can take 5 minutes for any information to start populating the screen.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Bought my copy of ebay too. Buttons seem a bit more responsive, I agree, but backup camera is pretty much the same. It comes on quickly enough, but it takes about 15 seconds to turn off.

Hoping to see an improvement in traffic info showing up. When I leave work, it can take 5 minutes for any information to start populating the screen.
The 15 seconds to turn off is NEVER going to change. That is intentional. It is for when you are parking and might switch back to reverse. You can get out of it by pressing media, or one of the other hard buttons.

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
The 15 seconds to turn off is NEVER going to change. That is intentional. It is for when you are parking and might switch back to reverse. You can get out of it by pressing media, or one of the other hard buttons.

Noted on that one, thanks!

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
So I'm having some issues getting the install to happen. With both the VIM and firmware CDs, it shows me the disk error message and then spits out the disk - nobody else gets that right? After a few seconds it pulls the disk back in (standard functionality) but then nothing happens.

I've re-burned the CDR a couple of times including buying a new brand of CDRs today for the latest try. No joy.

Anyone else had similar issues?

I have KESSY - could that be a problem? I'm unlocking the car, getting in, leaving the door open and powering on the radio before following rest of the instructions (wait for it to start, insert disk etc).

I'm burning the disk using Disk Utility in OSX and I am burning the files (the image contents), not the ISO file as a file.

Version info:
Part #: 3C8035684E
HW: H65
SW: 3696
Maps: 7565

I'm usually pretty capable at this sort of thing but now stuck. Anyone else had any issues at all?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So I'm having some issues getting the install to happen. With both the VIM and firmware CDs, it shows me the disk error message and then spits out the disk - nobody else gets that right? After a few seconds it pulls the disk back in (standard functionality) but then nothing happens.

I've re-burned the CDR a couple of times including buying a new brand of CDRs today for the latest try. No joy.

Anyone else had similar issues?

I have KESSY - could that be a problem? I'm unlocking the car, getting in, leaving the door open and powering on the radio before following rest of the instructions (wait for it to start, insert disk etc).

I'm burning the disk using Disk Utility in OSX and I am burning the files (the image contents), not the ISO file as a file.

Version info:
Part #: 3C8035684E
HW: H65
SW: 3696
Maps: 7565

I'm usually pretty capable at this sort of thing but now stuck. Anyone else had any issues at all?
Only person I know who has had a similar issue is BusyDriver, and his was resolved by the fact he was burning the ISO as a file to the root of a disc instead of from the ISO.

You could try this app:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

You are doing it correctly, as far as how to handle it with KESSY. Unlock, press power button on radio. Do not press the Start/stop.

Try doing a reset on your radio before you try the Firmware. Try the 2nd step in the following video first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11S_i0IkXXw&feature=player_detailpage

richyrich

TDI
Thanks Loki.

I'm definitely ending up with a CD containing all the files and folders so that's not it (just double-checked).

I am fairly new to Macs and just realized I can change the burn speed so lowering that to minimum. If this doesn't work I'll try the link you send.

I did try the "three finger salute" reset a couple of times and no joy.

Will post on how it goes with the new slower-burn disk.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Loki.

I'm definitely ending up with a CD containing all the files and folders so that's not it (just double-checked).

I am fairly new to Macs and just realized I can change the burn speed so lowering that to minimum. If this doesn't work I'll try the link you send.

Slower should help. Alright, try the settings reset, I know that's a pain, but I have heard it help on one other.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Slower burn speed

Thanks Loki.

Since I was on my last cd-r and I was pretty sure this time I had the correct selection for the disk image I burned the disc at the slowest option on my imac ....i think it was 10x if not mistaken...

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I thought we are supposed to copy the files as downloaded onto the two CDs and one DVD-DL. But it sounds like folks are expanding the downloaded files before burning to CD/DVD. Which is the correct process?

richyrich

TDI
Interesting development, little off topic: Just went out and tried discs burned at 10x - one with native OSX and one with "Burn". Still the same disk error. Had the brainwave to try an ordinary music CD and guess what - disk error. Same with a bunch of others. Guess who's calling their dealer....

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Interesting development, little off topic: Just went out and tried discs burned at 10x - one with native OSX and one with "Burn". Still the same disk error. Had the brainwave to try an ordinary music CD and guess what - disk error. Same with a bunch of others. Guess who's calling their dealer....
Does it play a DVD or music cd? Lets hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.