splitting hairs- state your minor dislikes about the passat.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Some people just fear the truth. I don't get it. WE are the customers and our opinion SHOULD be heard.
And I apologized for my negativity, because I see that this thread is fairly productive, and is just not a bunch of winey people complaining about their car. Go back in your hole Tom.

You can complain on here all you want. 1 person sending an e-mail to VWoA will do NOTHING. Everybody on here maybe, as long as the message is consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I could complain about a few things, but what's the point? I bought the car after test driving it and doing research here. The Passat, with it's great MPG is a lot of car for the money.
EXACTLY! Same here.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would like to see an exhaust/turbo brake function. There is very little engine braking even at 3000+ RPM.

I was up on Skyline Drive today with Jason and his parents - what a great place. :cool:

speedtek

TDI
2013 Passat Highline
I will start by saying:

1) Hey! ... where are those 2 little red LED mood light that are used to be mounted on the top/roof area, near the dome light. My 2012 base jetta has it,
it gives out a nice smooth light at night , just enough to eliminate the shifter and cup holder area so you can find stuff without turning on the dome light.

I will start by saying Hey! ... My Passat Highline has these lights....is it excluded from the lesser versions?:confused:

Mine has a switch on the mirror to turn it off. Yours doesn't?
Ditto

I have a 13, and I have the rod, not the struts...
Same here and I REALLY want the gas struts....I HATE prop rods!!

Last edited:

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
Dang it, i went out and found the switch in the underside of the mirror, cool.

2013 passat SE trim built date 2/2013, has the gas shock for hood support.

No LED lights by the doom light....Hey

Last edited:

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Two things:
1. More robust hanger hooks in rear. Just try putting a plastic hanger on the factory hooks.
2. A lesser illumination setting than what the current rheostat offers on panel illumination at night. Way too bright for me.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
I hate these threads! Like people on this forum need anymore reason to complain about their cars. You could glean the top 10 dislikes from the 1st page of threads...

I suspect VW is reading this.

Why wouldn't they?

Such good advise and it costs them nothing!!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
- 6 way, not 8 way power adjustment on the driver's seat
- Heck, why not 10 way (height adjustable lumbar)
- Rear middle seatbelt gets in the way when the rear seat is folded
- Hankook tires

That's about all that left on our car... I've taken care of the lighting niggles :)

-J

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
That's about all that left on our car... I've taken care of the lighting niggles :)
-J
if you are referring to the dash lights, what did you do to lower the intensity with the knob at it's lowest setting?

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Maybe a better carpet or not.

I mean it's covered by the mats but you can still see the cheap carpet lines on the rear hump between the footwells.

I suppose a cheaper carpet might be easier to clean.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
My pet peave about my Passat... not enough information about how to change a fuel filter in the owner's manual in a crisis situation or for routine maintenance. Just tell me what I need to do (dealer isn't an option)...! <NO VCDS for me...>

mlprater

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Remote start on SEL

1. The remote-started SEL shuts off when you go to enter. That is probably my #1 peev. Seems like a lot of unnecessary wear. Not sure if the VCDS can be used to change this.
  2. Having to live with remembering to cool the turbo (was a good excuse to buy a ScanGuageII though). Not sure if this is a for-real problem yet, but it seems like it may be. I cannot figure out why VW wouldn't build in a timer or something if it was. I guess they are off the hook at 36k, and can charge a lot to fix the turbos, but that badwill seems more expensive than any revenue it may generate.
  3. Mirror heater cannot be used at the same time as the back-up mirror.

The SEL has the mood lights and memory mirrors. Must be a VW pricing strategy to move that to the SEL. With the back-up camera and back-up mirror, the rear parking sensors seem unnecessary.

Last edited:

mlprater

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I suspect VW is reading this.
Why wouldn't they?
Such good advise and it costs them nothing!!
I suspect some of our better posters work for VW. :) The German one, not the dealer. Whether or not a dealer knows sh*t from shinola is heavily dependent on whether they pay their smart employees enough to stay around.

Last edited:

mlprater

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
- 6 way, not 8 way power adjustment on the driver's seat
- Heck, why not 10 way (height adjustable lumbar)
- Rear middle seatbelt gets in the way when the rear seat is folded
- Hankook tires

-J
You can get Contis with a $1200 wheel package. Note: it seems like the dealer pays $400 for the wheel package, so you can probably get Contis for $400 more, if it is worth it to you. FWIW, I think the Koreans have really closed the gap. I would have preferred the Contis, but anything OEM is pretty good these days. Aftermarket - that is a different story.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
You can complain on here all you want. 1 person sending an e-mail to VWoA will do NOTHING. Everybody on here maybe, as long as the message is consistent.

Will an email sent to VW do anything, likely not.
A well typed letter to VW headquarter RD dept may get noticed as long as it is not a complaining letter but rather an after sale owner satisfaction response with suggestions or recommendation. If it get done collectivly from a group of VW enthusiast or repeated buyers it is even better.

As long as it is realistic, customer feedback is worth 1million bucks.

Remember when you got your new car and was asked to fill out a survey about your new car, there was a section asking you to input what changes you would like to see.

To VW that is gold.

Also remember, it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
If you don't say anything nothing may change in your favor.

Wouldn't it be nice to see if the 2015 models would have some of the changes that was listed here?

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
1. I don't like how the front seats are further in away from the doors. I'm a big guy, 6 foot, 290 lbs, and I find it a bit annoying to have to first sit on the seat bolster up my crack then kind of work my way in. lol. Same as with getting out of the car, I have to turn 90 degrees to get my legs out, and hunch forward and use the steering wheel to help push myself out. lol. I guess they position the seats that way for safety reasons to be further away from the airbags and doors if a side impact were to happen?

2. I still can not get used to the downshifting of the DSG when I come to a near stop. Im anal about coming to a nice smooth stop for a red light or stop sign.

3. The headlights suck during bad weather. Yes, I know there are fixes with VCDS and the 65W ralleys. But coming straight out the box, they dont do it for me.

4. I dislike where VW placed the engine oil filter, makes it hard for my a DIY'er with very little experience, especially on a VW.

If I think of more I'll edit this post.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Changes

1. Rain sensor wipers (ACTIVATED)
2. Voice commands for the RNS510
3. Side view mirrors don't show enough "side"
4. Padding at head level for getting in/out of car. I'm not a big guy but I keep bumping my dang head getting in the car.
5. Paint is TOO thin.
6. Put audio controls BEHIND the steering wheel and cruse on the front (loose the stick placement)
7. Homelink system needs to sense open car door and key in area so it can be active.
8. Headlamps (non hid) suck.
9. 12v/120volt outlet facing rear or in fold down console.
10. Put the iPod connection IN THE GLOVE BOX like the Jetta.
11. A VCDS cable option to turn on/activate all the features our car ether has crippled or turned off instead of the useless first aid kit....

I don't have the noise others have. Car has 3500 miles on it so nothing has worked loose yet. :rolleyes:. My mini van and Jeep have the 110volt (150watts) for rear passengers. I know they are different cars for different uses but my minivan has 4 12 volt outlets (1 in the center "trunk" stays on to charge phones, but shuts off after 24 hours). And it has 1 110volt outlet w/2 analog RCA input ports in the passenger area. VW could have put a 12volt outlet facing the rear or put one in the rear fold down arm rest. Just a thought.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
1. Enable Homelink to work with ignition off, like every other manufacturer
2. Better front seats, like the seats in the CC
3. Use a paint for the rotors that won't rust - mine are solid rust in all non-swept areas and really look like crap.
4. Better headlights. The stock headlights with stock configuration are so bad they are almost dangerous. They don't have to be HID, just make a good, bright, safe headlight. Disabling bulb saver helps, but still not great and requires VCDS so not something most can do anyway. It is like VW designed the car and got to end and said oh yeah we need some headlights.
5. Less road noise.
6. Improve Nav/stereo performance - sometimes it is so slow I really think it is locked up.
7. Offer manual transmission on all trim levels
8. Put an indicator when a DPF regen is underway, in the MFI or somewhere
9. Switch to disable traction control, please.
10. A separate switch for the foglights that doesn't require you to disable the auto headlights (by turning them to manual on) and then likely forgetting to turn them off.
11. Front license plate mount that does not require drilling holes in the front bumper cover
12. Heated washer fluid
13. Bluetooth microphone is not good - picks up a lot of noise
14. Keep radio and bluetooth on when engine is shut off, until driver door is opened. Again, fixable in VCDS but most don't have this.
15. 20 gallon fuel tank
16. Automatically lower HVAC fan speed and mute NAV voice prompts when on a phone call, very handy feature that most other manufacturers do.
17. Engineer the DSG to not require a $500 fluid change every 40k miles. Either make it super simple to swap fluids (it has to be filled from the bottom or something like that??) and/or longer change intervals.
18. 100k mile powertrain warranty
19. Sport suspension option, or magnetorheological shocks (they are not that expensive)

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
StoneCrab,

Wow what list! It sound like you are readyfor a BMW... and its price tag; the features you listed starts on the 5 series I think.... such as the selectable suspension. (<-minus the 100K warranty). BMW also advertises that Diff and SMG http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=6000&type=2&ext=360604242286&item=360604242286fluids are "lifetime" fluids. However on my ex BMW the home link shutoff when ignition is off.
I think most cars Cadillac makes nowadays also have most of the features including the magnetorheological shock damper system. But again it may cost a bit more $$$

But some of the things may not be realistic requests, such as :
"20 gallon fueltank" , what is wrong with 18 gallon and a 700 mile range?
"less road noise" the passat is just about as quiet as it gets of the VW lineup.
"Front license plate mount that does not require drilling" sorry, even the Beemers need drilling.

"Put an indicator when a DPF regen is underway" Why? when you get to work right on time and the light comes on , would you keep driving a little more? 99% of the drivers will not, so why piss them off with more dash lights. It will do an other regen on the way home from work.

YOu may have forgotten to list to have back massager in all 5 seats, and a small toaster oven in the glovebox. :) just kidding.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I had stated in another post that my right knee hits pretty hard on the HARD plastic tunnel. After reading this thread, it's probably because the seats are too close to the centerline of the car for side impact protection. It does take quite an effort to make the sideways movements to enter/exit these cars. I guess that's just a trade-off although not what one would expect in a rather large sedan..

Last edited:

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I dont have many real concerns - definitely nitpicks but the one thing that I genuinely dislike about the car is the blue tooth situation. To me that's unacceptable.

- if you do not manually lock the car, it does not auto lock
- the body panels and the paint are paper thin
- the windows in the back dont go down all the way (i understand it's a design thing but hey, Im complaining here)
- the brakes have strange feel to them

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I agree with the body panels being paper thin. I have more little dings on my Passat than any other car I have ever owned. And in the strangest places too. I think a car wash put a few in mine which means it is just too fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
rear windows

I dont have many real concerns - definitely nitpicks but the one thing that I genuinely dislike about the car is the blue tooth situation. To me that's unacceptable.

- if you do not manually lock the car, it does not auto lock
- the body panels and the paint are paper thin
- the windows in the back dont go down all the way (i understand it's a design thing but hey, Im complaining here)
- the brakes have strange feel to them
As far as the rear windows not going down-none of my other 2 VW's ('05 Passat wagon, '09 JSW) did either.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
the homelink was mentioned....
"homelink not working while ignition off"
Been thinking about this as why.
The only reason I could come up was, if you park your car outside your home with windows down or sunroof open ( during summer)
or parking the car outside the garage at night. a peson can reach in and open your garage and steel your bike, tools while you are watching TV inside the home.
Same thing at night if someone bust your window out, they can get into your home.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Allow me to pile on with a few:
1. No option for actual leather seats in any trim level or memory seats in the SE.
2. Lack of OEM HID headlamps.
3. Large trunk but tiny trunk opening - just try to fit something "not flat" in there! And the corollary,
4. No tie-downs on the trunk lid that I have found, so if I can't get the lid all the way closed I have to drive around with it all the way OPEN!
5. Forcing me to take a sunroof with the DSG.