Cool features you didn't know your Passat had

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Personally I would like to have hill hold if I end up moving to the Seattle WA area. No real need in central Ohio.

Only1Z

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual
Hill hold releases as soon as you press the accelerator - it doesn't care what you do with the clutch.
Correct! Hill hold works beautifully on the 6M. Now I never know how other people learn to drive stick, but I learned from my dad who has always driven manuals his whole life including several big block muscle cars in the late 60’s. I learned to drive manual in 1997 when I learned on his insanely low mileage 1990 300ZX twin turbo. I was taught that on steep hills you can just pull and hold the emergency brake and work your clutch and gas pedals like normal. Once you start moving, you release the emergency brake. This keeps you from rolling backwards when starting out on an incline.

I currently own 4 manual cars with two of them having between 500 and 600 hp. Of course I don't use this manual emergency brake method very much at all especially in Illinois. But hill hold is just mimicking this behavior and it feels extremely natural. The hill hold feature works perfectly. Is it necessary? Of course not! But if someone is saying it caused the car to stall, I have to question your manual transmission driving skills. Hill hold will absolutely not cause you to stall the car. If you think that is happening, you are doing it wrong. It's user error.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think a lot of folks are having issues with hill hold because they're used to letting the clutch out slowly without adding fuel. You could do this just fine on the old ALHs and such, but the commonrail is less tolerant, especially now with hill hold.

Solution: add a little go pedal as if you were driving a gasser.

Only1Z

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual
That must be it, but that is absolutely not the proper way to drive a manual from a stop.

My girlfriend just drove my Passat today and the hill hold engaged once today and she loved it. She normally drives manual (different car) and it was very natural for her.

I guess my main message to people out there in the market for a Passat shouldn't be turned off by the hill hold feature. It works flawlessly.

Sakattack

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I like the fog lights illuminating the direction that I am turning. This is a very nice feature while driving at night.

kcox69

TDI
'13 Passat SEL & '04 Jetta
When it's dark out, if you turn the lights off, the instrument needles stay lit. When it's light out and you turn the lights off, the instrument back lighting stays on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
When it's dark out, if you turn the lights off, the instrument needles stay lit. When it's light out and you turn the lights off, the instrument back lighting stays on.
Yeah the instrumentation lighting strategy is very good.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Just found out the dials that shut off the airflow to the outboard dash vents click when you turn them all the way :cool:

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Little ridges inside the map pockets to keep stuff from sliding around.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
When washing windsheild Climatronic switches to recirculation for 30 sec. to prevent washer fluid odor from entering car
How do you know it does this? I don't notice any change on the Climatronic settings when using the washer.

I have noticed that VW uses a scented washer fluid though. It smells kind of soapy or flowery, not unpleasant. It is the same scent that they used on my old 2001 Jetta too. It is much different than the generic washer fluid you buy at walmart, etc.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
How do you know it does this? I don't notice any change on the Climatronic settings when using the washer.

I have noticed that VW uses a scented washer fluid though. It smells kind of soapy or flowery, not unpleasant. It is the same scent that they used on my old 2001 Jetta too. It is much different than the generic washer fluid you buy at walmart, etc.
The owners manual says so on page 237. Although I haven't found any mention of 30 seconds. What it says is that "When backing up and while the automatic wiper/washer is working, air recirculation is briefly activated to help keep exhaust fumes from getting into the passenger compartment."

Its not clear if the air recirculation mode needs to be in "auto" mode or not. I suspect so. Speaking of which, when in "auto" mode, it also turns on recirculation whenever it senses "increased concentration of pollutants." My Lexus LS430 had that feature. Surprised (and pleased) to see it on the Passat.

All of the above applies to Climatronic only.

Last edited:

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
I love that VW washer fluid scent. The closest you can get to it would be Einszett 1Z:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Anti-Frost-Concentrate-Washer-Fluid-P500/1000ml-S1/

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
You are able to refill the washer fluid from the curb side (right) of the car rather than from the street (left) side of car--as it has been with previous Audis.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I love that VW washer fluid scent. The closest you can get to it would be Einszett 1Z:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Einszett-1Z-M46/Anti-Frost-Concentrate-Washer-Fluid-P500/1000ml-S1/
Pretty sure the Genuine Vw Windshield Washer fluid has the nice scent as well. They have a few different part numbers for this stuff...

ZVW-177-101 is a 64oz bottle of rain repellant washer fluid (think Rain-X). I use this on my car and I know it has the scent...

ZVW-177-102 is a 32oz bottle of concentrated rain repellant windshield washer fluid.

ZVW-177-901 is a 27oz bottle of concentrated windshield washer fluid (non-rain repellant)

ZVW-177-903 is a 64oz bottle of concentrated windshield washer fluid (non-rain repellant)

and 00V-096-311-U-006 is a 300ml bottle of concentrated windshield washer fluid booster (non-rain repellant).

I believe all of these would have the scent you are after, but I can only confirm the ZVW-177-101.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Correct! Hill hold works beautifully on the 6M. Now I never know how other people learn to drive stick, but I learned from my dad who has always driven manuals his whole life including several big block muscle cars in the late 60’s. I learned to drive manual in 1997 when I learned on his insanely low mileage 1990 300ZX twin turbo. I was taught that on steep hills you can just pull and hold the emergency brake and work your clutch and gas pedals like normal. Once you start moving, you release the emergency brake. This keeps you from rolling backwards when starting out on an incline.

I currently own 4 manual cars with two of them having between 500 and 600 hp. Of course I don't use this manual emergency brake method very much at all especially in Illinois. But hill hold is just mimicking this behavior and it feels extremely natural. The hill hold feature works perfectly. Is it necessary? Of course not! But if someone is saying it caused the car to stall, I have to question your manual transmission driving skills. Hill hold will absolutely not cause you to stall the car. If you think that is happening, you are doing it wrong. It's user error.

I have been driving Manuals since I could reach the pedals, including several high powered race and street cars. I was never taught and never have used the parking brake as a holding brake. I can hit all 3 pedals with my 2 feet, without issue. Not saying I haven't ever stalled one. Have many times, but most had nothing to do with hills, just me being a moron.

I turned off Hill hold on my DSG, and I can now back out of my driveway a lot easier. It is VERY steep. Before the Hill-hold feature was turned off, it definitely affected the ease and quickness of takeoff. Leaving from a stop is much smoother now without it turned on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Just noticed this today. My idle rpms were a bit high like it was doing a regen when I stopped so I left the car running not wanting to interrupt it. Then I thought to rev it to help the regen. Car was in Park (DSG) and it wouldn't rev more than 2500 rpm. Anyone care to test this out?

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
I don't think I'd call this one a "cool" feature, though; there's no reason for the parking lights to stay on indefinitely like that.

What are parking lights for? If not to leave on when parked in an area where you need to be seen. Yes, they are parking lights and are suppose to stay on when you leave them on.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man

Your method is fine and dandy, until your E brake isnt a handbrake, but is next to the clutch pedal, which means in the ol muscle cars your dad was setting the brake, then reaching under the dash to find the release, all the while trying to safely operate the car.

The best way, is to NOT use an E brake while starting off, but to use the three pedals in the proper order.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just noticed this today. My idle rpms were a bit high like it was doing a regen when I stopped so I left the car running not wanting to interrupt it. Then I thought to rev it to help the regen. Car was in Park (DSG) and it wouldn't rev more than 2500 rpm. Anyone care to test this out?
There is a 2500 RPM rev limiter in park and neutral to keep people from being stupid and abusing the engine. It is clearly very effective. ;)

Revving the engine will not assist the regen process in any way, shape, or form. Don't bother... just drive it or let it idle until it's done.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
There is a 2500 RPM rev limiter in park and neutral to keep people from being stupid and abusing the engine. It is clearly very effective. ;)
Revving the engine will not assist the regen process in any way, shape, or form. Don't bother... just drive it or let it idle until it's done.
Now that's a cool feature, never had it in any previous car.
I could swear I read the rev the engine to help regen on a thread on here at some point. Oh well, learn something new everyday. Thanks for the "d'oh" moment :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There was a comment to blip the throttle to get the rpms to come down after a regen and sitting at idle. But reving it isn't needed, just a blip.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I'm surprised that there isn't a high idle that kicks on after a few minutes of idling to prevent "wet stacking".

I know most military diesels have it.

Regards

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
This pertains to the Homelink visor, on all my GM cars the homelink is its own device with its own battery, on the passat you have to have the ignition on before you can operate it. kind of good kind of a pita. good is that if someone broke into your car they can't easily open your garage door possibly getting into your home. bad is that if the cars battery ever dies you can't get into the house. Ive done the ol' close the garage door and run out, jump over the beams and hop in the car before.

-Carl

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What are parking lights for? If not to leave on when parked in an area where you need to be seen. Yes, they are parking lights and are suppose to stay on when you leave them on.
Yeah, I'm fully aware of what parkings lights are for. Staying on indefinitely, though? I mean, do people leave their parking lights on (intentionally), say, overnight?

And, again, no other car that I've owned did this. If I left the parking lights on, they eventually turned off to avoid killing the battery. And if I left the headlights on, the parking lights turned off automatically when the headlights did, even if the switch was set to "on" rather than "auto." They did stay on for a period of time, in case it was intentional for the reason you cite, but not until the battery was completely drained.

Last edited:

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Not so much in North America, but yes people do leave parking lights on all night from time to time. And funnily enough just the other day I had to leave the parking lights on in the Passat, I was at a party in a rural area and couldn't get the entire car off the already narrow street. Party started late afternoon and I didn't roll out of there until 4 in the morning, so they were burning for about 12 hours.

Yours
Vern

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well, all the vehicles I've owned that had auto-off headlights were Japanese, so maybe that's the difference. If it's a European thing, it makes sense that the Passat would work that way.

Thanks for the info!

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Proper European style would only light one side of the car, in a VW chosen by having the turn signal on left or right. I've read that's not an codeable option for the Passat sadly.

Yours
Vern

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Not so much in North America, but yes people do leave parking lights on all night from time to time. And funnily enough just the other day I had to leave the parking lights on in the Passat, I was at a party in a rural area and couldn't get the entire car off the already narrow street. Party started late afternoon and I didn't roll out of there until 4 in the morning, so they were burning for about 12 hours.

Yours
Vern
12 hours. Some party!

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Proper European style would only light one side of the car, in a VW chosen by having the turn signal on left or right. I've read that's not an codeable option for the Passat sadly.

Yours
Vern
Yup, have a 1960 Mercedes 190 SL that has parking lights that can be switched to either port or starboard for all night parking. Of course the bulbs are so small and dim that if conditions were foggy no one would ever see them anyway.