Cool features you didn't know your Passat had

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
In my SEL Prem. I have LED lighting on the interior door handles, never noticed this before until another member mentioned it.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you leave the headlights on the car on and walk away the DRL's and headlights are off but the parking lights are left on.
I don't think I'd call this one a "cool" feature, though; there's no reason for the parking lights to stay on indefinitely like that.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
Hill Hold was the cause of the stalling. I would try to pull away from a stop with my foot off the brake pedal and Hill Hold still had the brakes on and I would kill the engine. Waiting a few seconds for HH to release the brakes after a stop was extremely annoying. Since I have been driving manual tranny's for over 40 years, HH was an unwanted intrusion and not a desired feature for me.
I feel the same way, I will have mine disabled soon.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hill hold releases as soon as you press the accelerator - it doesn't care what you do with the clutch.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Memory seats in SEL are programed to a particular key fob. When driver door opened with my fob, after my wife drove a car, seat and mirrors adjust to my setting automatically. And same for my wife. Used to have this future on BMW, therefore was pleasantly surprised when discovered it on my passat.

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Here's a good one:

The plastic plug for the outlet under the pop-up door beneath the climate control has a little indentation on it so you can clip it to whatever wire you have plugged in. This keeps the plug from rolling around (making annoying noises) when you drive.

kcox69

TDI
'13 Passat SEL & '04 Jetta
I would have to say:

2) you can open the door and hold the drivers side window button up or down for 5 seconds and it will open or close all the windows and the sun roof.
Dude, thanks! I thought this feature wasn't available on my Passat. I loved it on my Jetta. Every day I'm finding something new. :D

SMTM

TDI
2012 Passat
I mentioned it in another thread, but I only recently discovered that the sun visors slide on their posts. I have a red light I catch every morning when I turn out of my development that just to the left of the rising sun in my field of vision. With the sliding feature, I'm able to unhook the visor, slide it three inches to the right, and look at the light with my left eye while the sun is completely blocked.

Winning.

This^:)

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Compared to my old 2000 Beetle TDi, the new Passat TDi not only feels like a Cadillac, but sounds as quiet one (I love it). I was used to the farm tractor sound in my Beetle, and when the muffler broke a few months ago, it felt as if was piloting a GA without earmuffs.

Another feature I like is that the new Passat is HUGE. Cars priced liked it, such as the Toyota Camry and the new Ford Taurus are smaller.

Noxid

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If you leave the headlights on the car on and walk away the DRL's and headlights are off but the parking lights are left on.
This happened to me too.

Can this me modified in the Vagcom/VSCS thingamajig I have been learning about?

I don't think I'd call this one a "cool" feature, though; there's no reason for the parking lights to stay on indefinitely like that.
I agree with you.

I would have to say:

1) the indention on the driver and passenger door handle that you can touch to lock the doors.
2) you can open the door and hold the drivers side window button up or down for 5 seconds and it will open or close all the windows and the sun roof.
I did not know this one. Thanks for the heads up :D

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Don't forget the fog light "upgrade" on the 6mt SE which I'm doing now. Reminds me of my first Harley. Harley Davidson sells some nice "aftermarket " goodies too. My good deal on the car is shrinking rapidly lol.

kcox69

TDI
Any time the headlights are on.
Yeah, I finally noticed them last night. I thought it was just a reflection from the LEDs next to the sunroof button. I also noticed that the lights are only on the passenger handles and not the driver door handle. Is it the same on yours or do I have a light out?

Also, I just found that I can disable the horn when locking the car from outside. I work nights and get home about 1 in the morning. That horn was starting to annoy me because it's so loud. Wish it was softer like my Jetta.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Only SELs get the door handle ambient lighting. All four door handles should be lit on your car - if not, check the connections.

Yes - "ATA Confirm" in the MFI is how you disable the horn chirp. That setting is recalled by key so you can have the chirp off and another driver can have it on (along with all of the other settings in the MFI).

kcox69

TDI
Only SELs get the door handle ambient lighting. All four door handles should be lit on your car - if not, check the connections.

Yes - "ATA Confirm" in the MFI is how you disable the horn chirp. That setting is recalled by key so you can have the chirp off and another driver can have it on (along with all of the other settings in the MFI).
Wow, this is the smartest car I've ever owned. Now, I really do feel like Michael Knight. :) Think I might try to turbo-boost over some buildings on the way home from work tonight. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
For those if you experimenting with your MFI settings and multiple keys, settings are recalled when a key UNLOCKS the vehicle.

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
The passenger side mirror will dip down when you put the car in reverse. The mirror switch must be in the "R" or passenger selection. I think it's only for models with DSG.

Glad to see this "technology" is still around! My 1990 BMW 735i had this feature.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The passenger side mirror will dip down when you put the car in reverse. The mirror switch must be in the "R" or passenger selection. I think it's only for models with DSG.

Glad to see this "technology" is still around! My 1990 BMW 735i had this feature.
It's only on models with memory seats (SEL).

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Today, I was on my cell phone via the hands free system in the car when I noticed an ambulance coming up from behind me. I pulled over immediately and told the person I was talking what was going on well in advance and to hang on.

The next thing I knew, the car disconnected from the cell phone....pretty much hanging up on the call just before the amb passed.

After the amb was gone, the car asked if I wanted to call the same person I was just talking to.

Pretty smart.

FirstJetta

TDI
Passat Highline Sports TDI DSG, 2013;Previous VW - Jetta Wagon, 2005, Red
Here's a good one:
The plastic plug for the outlet under the pop-up door beneath the climate control has a little indentation on it so you can clip it to whatever wire you have plugged in. This keeps the plug from rolling around (making annoying noises) when you drive.
Thanks so much. Never noticed this and it was bugging me rolling around.
Bruce

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
love how the radio automatically pauses any media playing if you turn down the volume all the way and that pressing the volume up button the wheel will unpause music that was previously paused.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
love how the radio automatically pauses any media playing if you turn down the volume all the way and that pressing the volume up button the wheel will unpause music that was previously paused.
I like that too. I never want to miss the song I'm listening to. I just want to hear it later WITHOUT cueing it back up. :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I like that too. I never want to miss the song I'm listening to. I just want to hear it later WITHOUT cueing it back up. :)
On a similar note, I like that the MDI connection will keep my iPod at the same spot it was at shutdown when I restart the car. The uConnect system in my Jeep used to restart the song from the beginning. Yuck.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
To bad it doesn't seem to do this for nav commands coming over the music. Mine talks right over the music and is almost useless. I found some volume controls and can get it to lower the volume some on the radio when this happens, but I am used to using my phone and music and Google nav, and it paused the music until the voice commands finished and then came back up. Haven't been able to get the Passat system to do this correctly yet.

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
IF you mod VAGCOM to enable the window up/down feature with the remote buttons on the key, you can close the sunroof from KESSY by keeping your finger on the lock sensor for 3-5 seconds.

Last edited:

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
When washing windsheild Climatronic switches to recirculation for 30 sec. to prevent washer fluid odor from entering car

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Brilliant! If only Toyota had thought of that my wife's car wouldn't be on its second battery.
I believe the auto off feature for lights is for darn near everything in the car. It is kind of like the battery disconnect switch in an ambulance, with exception of the computer. My 05 had this as well.
Now in so far as Toyota goes, had they had the feature my 05 Passat TDI had they would not have had the crazy runaway cars. I have yet to try it on my new one, but cannot imagine that they did away with it, as it is a safety feature that was quite ingenous, considering the Toyota troubles. If you are on the gas, and press on the break, the engine would cut power. I will be that Toyota still does not have this.
I will need to try this when I am out and about again. Really cool feature, if they kept it.

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
For those if you experimenting with your MFI settings and multiple keys, settings are recalled when a key UNLOCKS the vehicle.
That is a good point. No wonder it did not seem to work right..... Thanks VeeDub.... It's the little things in life that screw you up, huh.....;)