How Fast Have You Driven Your New Passat?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm always surprised when I hit the 74 mph speed warning because it feels so effortless and smooth.

tonymey

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
My American made Passat TDI will cruise all day here on the German Autobahn at 115 MPH or so before the governor kicks in. My US made corvette will cruise up to 190 MPH, (I've only gotten her up to 170) and stable as can be. :D

US Army

Germany

Derik

TDI
2012 Passat SE
170-wow, and 115 all day is impressive for a car that get's over 40mpg with normal driving. I bet both cars are a novelty there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tony,

What are you getting for fuel economy at top speed in the Passat? I'm guessing right around 30 MPG.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I'd guess closer to 23-25 MPG. He has to be flowing 4 gallons an hour or more in fuel at that speed E=MVsquared. If I'm getting say 50 MPG at 60 MPH, it would take about 4x the fuel to go 120 MPH, based on wind resistance alone. Of course there are a lot of other considerations for friction losses that may be fixed, versus variable, for fuel consumption.

I think the passat has some sort of rule of 115... 60 mph gets you 55 MPG 70 gets you 45 MPG, 80 gets you 35 MPG, etc, but once you get to the marginal edges, the numbers and rules no longer apply. 115 is pretty far to the outside of the range where the formula works, which probably only works at legal US speed limits, not in Germany.

Last edited:

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I think the passat has some sort of rule of 115... 60 mph gets you 55 MPG 70 gets you 45 MPG, 80 gets you 35 MPG, etc,
at 80 85 mine shows an indicated 40 mpg. That 600 mile tank we did yielded 44 with about 90% highway rarely under 75

Niner

at 80 85 mine shows an indicated 40 mpg. That 600 mile tank we did yielded 44 with about 90% highway rarely under 75
Yeah, but around here, some folks will tell you pencil and paper is how you calculate true MPG. :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Niner - there's only one way to find out for sure. Go find some of your ricer buddies and head out to the desert for a top speed showdown! Obviously you will have to go several hundred miles in order to get an accurate pen and paper calculation. ;)

Niner

Niner - there's only one way to find out for sure. Go find some of your ricer buddies and head out to the desert for a top speed showdown! Obviously you will have to go several hundred miles in order to get an accurate pen and paper calculation. ;)
You sly vixen of the night... you know I don't have enough light on the front end of the passat to pull off such a stunt at 3 AM in the morning.... you'll have to use your car once you get those HID's installed and aimed properly for the truth. :D Plus 99% of the passat TDI's out there are DSG, no one can find the 6 mans, we're a vocal minority. Or get VTglockster to get the job done, sounds like he's packing heat, and would have a reason to drive that fast, as well as that police dept down in TN that bought a couple of passat TDI's.

Last edited:

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Yeah, but around here, some folks will tell you pencil and paper is how you calculate true MPG. :eek:
hence the "yielded" comment at the end. The computer on the car is never going to be right on. If I remember correctly it was almost 620 miles and almost exactly 14 gallons.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh - the pen and paper argument has one sticking point! It would seem that the Passat's factory speedometer and odometer programming is not accurate... YMMV!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
odo is off? They're normally dead nuts on, while speedo is typically 3-5 mph faster than actual.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Have you driven a new Passat lately? Speedo and odo is LOW by about 2-3 mph.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
No I haven't.

So you're saying actual speed is faster than displayed? That could cause some problems.

Odo reading is 2-3 miles lower than actual? I guess that is good for warranty but would really mess with your mpg calculations.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Indeed - speedometer displays slower than your actual GPS speed by about 2 - 3 mph. I was counting mile markers on the other day and they weren't syncing up with the odometer... I suspect by about the same amount as the speedometer error.

This can be corrected easily with the 'snow tire' function in the MFI, or by fixing it properly in VCDS (so your snow tire correction is available for... snow tires).

I was pretty surprised the first time I turned on Waze (phone GPS) since every other late model VW I've been in has displayed higher than actual speed.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Indeed - speedometer displays slower than your actual GPS speed by about 2 - 3 mph. I was counting mile markers on the other day and they weren't syncing up with the odometer... I suspect by about the same amount as the speedometer error.

This can be corrected easily with the 'snow tire' function in the MFI, or by fixing it properly in VCDS (so your snow tire correction is available for... snow tires).

I was pretty surprised the first time I turned on Waze (phone GPS) since every other late model VW I've been in has displayed higher than actual speed.
If it's showing a lower than actual speed, it could pave the way for a speeding ticket. Only 2 to 3 mph shouldn't make much difference though, unless the police are on a revenue collecting mission that day.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah. Warning to all. If you are in the habit of going 6 MPH over in order to avoid a ticket, you could actually be going 9 over. Fortunately it's a very easy fix.

surroundsound64

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDi
My speedometer is a few mph fast. I went in through the MFI and played with the snow tire features but that only seemed to set a warning On the display for a speed. It didn't actually change the speedometer. Am I missing something?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'll check. It was explained when we bought it that it was a correction factor, but I haven't actually messed with it.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I verified on mine yesterday that with cruise set at 70, it was reading 72 on gps. I'm anxious to verify if the odometer is off as well.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
For my car, the cruise control point and my GPS seem to match spot on. The analog speedo appears to be just a MPH or two higher than that.
If some cars are showing speedo/cruise LOWER than GPS, that is surprising to me since as far as I know it is a legal requirement that a car MUST err on the side of showing that is is going FASTER than it really is.
I can't easily find the US specific info, but here it the EU info which is similar to what I remember:
  • The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
  • The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's not an issue of parts, it's an issue of electronic programming. I'm sure the dealerships will receive a flash to correct this problem in the future.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I wouldn't be surprised if the cluster is coded like a Golf (where the cluster design came from), as far as speed calibration goes.

The Passat tires are 5.4% taller than Golf tires (assuming 225/45R17 on the Golf, and 215/55R17 on the Passat, which is what the respective base TDI models have), so if a Golf has 3% speedometer error (going 67.9 mph at 70 indicated), that would mean that a Passat on the same coding would be doing 71.6 mph at 70 indicated.

So, in other words, the problem could actually be that it DOES use the same parts as EU cars. And don't put making such a stupid mistake past VW - note what happened to every frickin' pre-2000 Mk4-based TDI ECU, with part of the startup fueling map being zeroed out.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
The European standard for speedometer accuracy is very strict, but apparently the US standard is not. Here is an excerpt I found in a C&D magazine about this subject.
-
So we sought out the rule book to find out just how much accuracy is mandated. In the U.S., manufacturers voluntarily follow the standard set by the Society of Automotive Engineers, J1226, which is pretty lax. To begin with, manufacturers are afforded the latitude to aim for within plus-or-minus two percent of absolute accuracy or to introduce bias to read high on a sliding scale of from minus-one to plus-three percent at low speeds to zero to plus-four percent above 55 mph. And those percentages are not of actual speed but rather a percentage of the total speed range indicated on the dial. So the four-percent allowable range on an 85-mph speedometer is 3.4 mph, and the acceptable range on a 150-mph speedometer is 6.0 mph.
But wait, there's more. Driving in arctic or desert climates? You're allowed another plus-or-minus two percent near the extremes of 20-to-130-degrees Fahrenheit, and yet another plus-or-minus one percent if the gauge was ever exposed to minus-40 to plus-185 F. Alternator acting up? Take another plus-or-minus one percent if the operating voltage strays two volts above or below the normal rating. Tire error is excluded from the above, and odometer accuracy is more tightly controlled to plus-or-minus four percent of actual mileage.
The European regulation, ECE-R 39, is more concise, stating essentially that the speed indicated must never be lower than the true speed or higher by more than one-tenth of true speed plus four kilometers per hour (79.5 mph at a true 70). Never low.

WeeeZer14

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
The European standard for speedometer accuracy is very strict, but apparently the US standard is not. Here is an excerpt I found in a C&D magazine about this subject.

*SNIP*
Thanks for finding this. I really thought the US had something cut and dry, but what is stated does sound like what you'd expect from Detroit or Washington ;)

Now I have to wonder why I know the EU spec while I haven't owned a European car before (unless you count a Saturn L200 which is basically an Opel Vectra).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Not only that, but it looks like it's not even a law.

However, Honda settled a class action on odometers that were inaccurate in that range. Don't think anyone's been successfully sued.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
In fact one day I was cruising along at 100 and I got passed by a semi truck like I was tied to a post - he must have been doing 130-140?'
A

130-140 in a Semi, maybe down the Grapevine...just before it hit the gravelpit!!! 130MPH even in an unloaded Semi aint happening friend!

I'm still waiting for the OP to get some answers. In case everyone forgot, he was wondering how fast people have driven their Passat! I would offer my top speed, but I drive a Jetta...