The "What the Passat is lacking at 32K" thread.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i thats for fwd, when loosing front traction (understeer) gas and go, but in rwd if the back comes around (oversteer) more gas the back end will keep coming around in spectaular fasion (IE donuts)

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Just to add fuel to the fire, you can get a 2011 BMW 335d (base) for $38k. They are discounting them pretty heavily (around $6k off MSRP).
I just did a test drive of a 2011 passat tdi.

The first thing that came to my mind was either spending an extra 8-15k for a 335d or MB. Or getting a used e320d.

The passat is OK but I still l prefer my 2005 B5.

If the car was 4-5k cheaper, then maybe.

I keep my cars for 8-12 years and would rather go MB/BMW or take it down a notch and look at a Golf TDI for a small utility car.

Now, if the 2011 passat had a wagon option.....

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
I just did a test drive of a 2011 passat tdi.

The first thing that came to my mind was either spending an extra 8-15k for a 335d or MB. Or getting a used e320d.

I keep my cars for 8-12 years and would rather go MB/BMW or take it down a notch and look at a Golf TDI for a small utility car.

Now, if the 2011 passat had a wagon option.....
Well looks likw you still have until 2013-2017 to make a decision based on your 8-10 year duty cycle and I am sure there will be lots of other choices when that time rolls around. If you think a VW is expensive to service just wait until you get a taste of the service costs at you MB/BMW dealer. If Passet was 4-5k cheaper it would be called a Jetta.
I doubt VW will make a Passat wagon. It would take sales from the JSW and their SUV line up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it wouldn't steel from the JSW unless it was priced correctly. If people are willing to pay 5-6K more for a Passat wagen which also has added options above the JSW. But they found out with the B6 people aren't willing to pay the extra price, same goes for why the pheaton didn't sell.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I just did a test drive of a 2011 passat tdi. ..

I also just test drove a 2012 Passat TDI SEL today. Truthfully, though it is much roomier in the front seats then my B5.5, I felt like an old man sitting there with the bland cabin styling. In comparison had a much better feeling sitting in the cabin when I test drive the new JSW a while back. Though 2012 had good power (peeled the Hankooks at takeoff), good ride, solid feeling body, and bigger cabin space (which I liked) I too still prefer my 2005 B5.5 wagon.

But maybe a wagon version would change my mind.... Maybe.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
TDICT: Black/Black with rear lip spoiler - VIN was assigned day before yesterday - not sure of ETA just yet.
Great choice, thats my combo also. Tell me about the rear lip spoiler, VW part? have you seen it or a car pictured with one. I think the car needs a spoiler

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Well looks likw you still have until 2013-2017 to make a decision based on your 8-10 year duty cycle and I am sure there will be lots of other choices when that time rolls around. If you think a VW is expensive to service just wait until you get a taste of the service costs at you MB/BMW dealer. If Passet was 4-5k cheaper it would be called a Jetta.
I doubt VW will make a Passat wagon. It would take sales from the JSW and their SUV line up.
I usually KEEP the cars for that long. Currently, I've got a 14 year old vehicle and a 7 year old vehicle (passat).

I have been toying with the idea of getting a 335d/350d or jetta sw tdi but keep on shying away since the passat still drives almost like new.

Since I usually don't get rid of cars until they rust out, I'd be sitting on three vehicles with one driver, and driving an expensed rental while on the road.... seems a bit crazy!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I looked at (and tried on) a new Passat at the TDIFest and I was very disappointed. It is supposed to be a bigger car, but there is more room for the driver in my '09 JSW. I expected to have more room for my (long) legs in the Passat, but it is as tight (or tighter) than a Jetta. There may be more rear seat leg room - but I do not care about that, I never ride in the back seat. There are some minor changes (improvements?) in the engine, but I saw absolutely no reason to trade in my JSW for a new Passat. I was hoping for more, but I didn't find it. Too bad for VW. As far as I can see, it's just an expensive Jetta. If that was what I wanted, I would buy an Audi A3 before I would buy a Passat.

Have Fun!

Don

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I prefer the new Passat over the JSW. However, I don't think it's perfect. I don't understand why VW didn't include the protective molding for all TDIs, as well as the rear vents. Both seem like no-brainers.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
To mimic what was said on this thread:

For 25k I really think its a great car. Great Diesel motor , stick, good ride, lots of room, classy styling.

For 33k its not a great car.

Touareg is the same - we were talking about it at TDIFest where there was a 2011 Touareg V6 parked next to an X5d. VW - 49k, BMW- 54k. More power in the BMW, similar economy. I think the Touareg looks better, but I wouldn't choose a VW over a BMW for the same money.

Never mind the Mercedes ML diesel that starts at 50k.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
For 25k I really think its a great car. Great Diesel motor , stick, good ride, lots of room, classy styling.
For 33k its not a great car.
The first would the S and last would be the SEL?
That's why I still think the SE would be a fine car...

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
There is no manual TDI at 25k. Here are invoice prices according to truecar:

TDI manual:

$26954 (with rubber Passat mats, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI with DSG and sunroof:

$28777 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI with DSG and sunroof, nav, 18" wheels, chrome strips:

$30311 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI SEL with DSG and sunroof, 510 nav, 18" wheels, chrome strips, Fender audio, KESSY, ambient lighting, faux wood, leather/synthetic, remote start

$32901 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

+ $285 doc fees (Ohio rate) + tax + $125 loan fee (if financing) + interest (if financing)

Last edited:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at (and tried on) a new Passat at the TDIFest and I was very disappointed. It is supposed to be a bigger car, but there is more room for the driver in my '09 JSW. I expected to have more room for my (long) legs in the Passat, but it is as tight (or tighter) than a Jetta. There may be more rear seat leg room - but I do not care about that, I never ride in the back seat. There are some minor changes (improvements?) in the engine, but I saw absolutely no reason to trade in my JSW for a new Passat. I was hoping for more, but I didn't find it. Too bad for VW. As far as I can see, it's just an expensive Jetta. If that was what I wanted, I would buy an Audi A3 before I would buy a Passat.

Have Fun!

Don
Wow...very disappointed. I just replaced my 2009 JSW TDI with a 2012 passat TDI SEL and the car is huge compared to the Jetta. I don't see how you found the drivers seating area smaller? What more were you hoping for. The car drives and handles much the same as the JSW although you are aware that there is more car back there when driving aggressively on the curves but only a slight difference.
I looked at the Audi A3 and that was small. the car is 10" shorter then the JSW making for a very small cargo area. not worth the extra money.
I think you may want to take another look at the 2012 Passat.

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
I agree, i looked at the A# as well and saw no appreciable value as compared to the cost increase ver the JSW, in fact I think it has less option(no streaming bluetooth etc). I certainly have no idea how they justify the cost increase for the A3, and I am a definite Audi guy. I will say the new A3 is coming and according to my dealer will be priced less than the current platform is.....

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I check oil every time I fill the tank. Also check for any signs of leaks. An a few other things too.

I must be nuts.:eek:
You are not nuts and your car will last you a long time. I do the same thing every time I fill for fuel. If you catch something early, you can save big bucks.

How do you think I got my former car, an oil burning Saturn to last so long? The hood is there for a reason.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, i looked at the A# as well and saw no appreciable value as compared to the cost increase ver the JSW, in fact I think it has less option(no streaming bluetooth etc). I certainly have no idea how they justify the cost increase for the A3, and I am a definite Audi guy. I will say the new A3 is coming and according to my dealer will be priced less than the current platform is.....

They can get the $$ because it says "AUDI". I would have bought an Audi A-4 or A6 in a heart beat it they were TDI powered. The JSW is the best in it's class.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
They can get the $$ because it says "AUDI". I would have bought an Audi A-4 or A6 in a heart beat it they were TDI powered. The JSW is the best in it's class.
With the decontenting of the Passat and Jetta to make "Just for U.S." models it is finally clear to me the separation between Audi and VW.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
With the decontenting of the Passat and Jetta to make "Just for U.S." models it is finally clear to me the separation between Audi and VW.
You might want to revisit the 2012 Passat because there is nothing the SEL needs to added to the standard package. It is a world class car and if it's good enough for the Chinese than it should be good enough for us Americans. And what's wrong with that. Try and stuff two American adults in the back seat of the JSW for more than a short ride..Not a lot of fun for them.

I agree the new Jetta has been brought closer to the competition in features but if you compare them to the Asian cars they are way ahead. I believe 90%+ of the new Jetta drivers would not even know, want or care what has been decontented from the previous model, they are in love with their cars.

If you miss the old Jetta get a Golf. or a JSW. A seat for every Butt

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
You might want to revisit the 2012 Passat because there is nothing the SEL needs to added to the standard package. It is a world class car and if it's good enough for the Chinese than it should be good enough for us Americans.
Um... The Chinese B7 gets xenon, rear vents, LEDs, and so forth. I guess your comment was ironic.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
Um... The Chinese B7 gets xenon, rear vents, LEDs, and so forth. I guess your comment was ironic.
Are you serious..Lack of xenons and LED make make the car decontented...These are things the US VW's never had and I don't understand the fascination with the rear air vents. If you want to complain about something complain about the lack of a rear 12v socket or the loss of the 12v inverter. I can assure to the majority these are non issues but to me important. Big deal so I go to radio shack and by a plug in inverter and put it in the trunk to charge my laptop. Tell me what full size front wheel drive diesel available in the US has xenons and LED's?

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
Lack of xenons and LED make make the car decontented...
A car that has fewer features available is decontented in comparison to one that does.
These are things the US VW's never had
The Passat back in 2007 was available with xenon in the high trim as far as I know. Rear vents are hardly a new thing, although VW could take a hint from Hyundai, since that company's vents are better. LEDs have been available in some VWs like the Toureg for a while as far as I know, but the fact is is that the B7 Passat for China has them. History is interesting, but we're living in the present.
I don't understand the fascination with the rear air vents.
Ride in the back seat of a black/black Leatherette Passat in 95 degree heat after the car has been sitting in the parking lot. It's not "fascination". It's a matter of simple physics. In order to cool the rear area, air has to get from the front of the car to the rear of the car. Without rear vents that push a decent amount of air, less directional (more diffuse) air has to be moved from the front vents, which creates more noise and takes longer to cool down the back. It also makes the front colder, possibly, than the people in the front want, in order to get enough coolness to the back.

What is fascinating is that China is considered a market in which it's appropriate to offer extra features like xenons, LEDs, and rear vents, while the US is not.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Midsize Passat TDI

Tell me what full size front wheel drive diesel available in the US has xenons and LED's?
Passat TDI is not a full size as classified by EPA, it is a midsize.
If you go by statements from the people that developed it, the Camry (midsize) and Accord (large) are the intended competition.
To the best of my knowledge the only way you can get an Accord or Camry to $33k MSRP is by adding video entertainment systems, which is not even an option on VW.
Comparably equipped the Passat is overpriced.

And to your point, it is the only diesel choice in it's competitive class.

bmercer

TDI
2004 & 2002 Jetta
rear vents
xenon headlights
LED's
rear backup camera
adaptive cruise control
heated windshield
blind spot warning

suparag

Veteran Member
TDI
None now.
2012 Passat

rear vents
xenon headlights
LED's
rear backup camera
adaptive cruise control
heated windshield
blind spot warning
Some of the stuff just sounds cool. Like the adaptive cruise control, I have that in my Toyota van, and after first couple of trips the fascination wore off and I tend to use the normal cruise control now. It does not work when it is raining. It is a waste of money.

Rear backup cameras - I am not sure how valuable they are in a car like passat. It makes sense in a big van or suv.

LED's again it is for show- it does not serve any purpose just cosmetics.

I agree with Xenon/HID lights, it makes night driving much easier. I have never driven a car with blind spot warning, so I cannot say whether it will be helpful or not. Same goes for heated windshield.

When I test drove the Passat, the salesguy said if you have the SEL with Autostart/KESSY, it measures the outside temp and turns on the AC or heater automatically. The heated windshield might become a moot point.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
There is no manual TDI at 25k. Here are invoice prices according to truecar:

TDI manual:

$26954 (with rubber Passat mats, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI with DSG and sunroof:

$28777 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI with DSG and sunroof, nav, 18" wheels, chrome strips:

$30311 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

TDI SEL with DSG and sunroof, 510 nav, 18" wheels, chrome strips, Fender audio, KESSY, ambient lighting, faux wood, leather/synthetic, remote start

$32901 (with RPMs, trunk liner, spoiler) and $770 destination

+ $285 doc fees (Ohio rate) + tax + $125 loan fee (if financing) + interest (if financing)
I don't understand these numbers...don't dealers get final say on the "price"?

MSRP is $25,995 no options + destination, so its available and its order-able.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I don't understand these numbers...don't dealers get final say on the "price"?

MSRP is $25,995 no options + destination, so its available and its order-able.
They come from truecar.com. Here's the link:

http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/volkswagen/passat-pricing/

My dealer told me the mats, trunk liner, and spoiler were automatically put in the cars. However, from what people have said in the forums, it appears the spoiler is being treated as an option.

Besides, $25,995 is 25k only in the world of marketing.

Last edited: