New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

Marley

TDI
none
Well, a couple days ago I was behind a car that looked just like the new 2011 Jetta, it was black, it said Jetta on the back and SEL. I'm driving an
2000 Honda Accord and this car was as big as my car. I was in Chattanooga.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Could this be the new NMS?
It doesn't look like a Jetta. Maybe this link has all ready been posted in this forum and I missed it, but it seems that it’s the NMS. Only one photo, but I do not recognize that nose. Anybody else seen other photos of this black one or others yet?
That's a Golf 'test mule' used to test out the electronics, trannie and so on. Not the actual car. :)

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
That's a Golf 'test mule' used to test out the electronics, trannie and so on. Not the actual car. :)
It sure looks like a sedan to me. Last I checked the Golf is either a hatch or a wagon, so you've got me a bit confused.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Not a Golf

That is no Golf. Not Polo either. Not Jetta either.

Look at those lights. No VW has those. I think it is NMS.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I think it is NMS.
I'm assuming you've read the text below the picture?

I highly doubt that this is the NMS's sheetmetal. It's a test mule for sure. The headlights are different than the A5 Jetta, that's true, but the rest of the sheet metal is clearly very Jetta like. There is no way IMO VW is going to replicate the front fascia of a previous generation.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I'm assuming you've read the text below the picture?

I highly doubt that this is the NMS's sheetmetal. It's a test mule for sure. The headlights are different than the A5 Jetta, that's true, but the rest of the sheet metal is clearly very Jetta like. There is no way IMO VW is going to replicate the front fascia of a previous generation.
I don't know why you are so certain... look at those louvred disk brake cooling ports, and the louvred panel between them. I've never seen that on any VW. Prove me wrong...Please, post a link to the year and model where you see that front fascia.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Well wrapped at the ends. Nice to see something that looks to be disguised. The article states engines are to come from Mexico. Seems they aren't talking about the TDIs, which might be Poland, Germany, or elsewhere.

A friend of mine told me on Friday that I sold him a Volkswagen! He drove the JSW, and thought they'd buy it, but his wife fell for the CC. The one they got has the 2 toned seats and a 2.0L engine. It looks very good. I really don't understand why CC didn't get a TDI. I might have sprung the extra money for one. It rivals any Audi for classy looks. Even better than most IMO. NMS has a high hurdle to surpass. The CC may become a cult classic !! TDI conversion?

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Finally some spy shots about the NMS. This to my eyes looks like the real McCoy.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-nms.html
Wheels look easy to keep clean!:D

The camo really makes it tough to judge too much. The size does look to be a close match to the Passat. The article mentions diesel availability, but I suppose it might be a delayed availability, like the 2011 Jetta.

As long as this has not been hit with the decontent stick it will get close attention from me. Of course, diesel is a must. Depending on weight, the current 2.0 TDI should be fine. If urea becomes necessary due to weight, I'd rather have the 170hp version, but lets try to avoid the V6 3.0. I can't believe we would need all that power. Of course, it would be fun to dust off a 335d :D

Marley

TDI
none
Yep, that's got to be it. Look at the water bottle holder in the door side pocket.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Depending on weight, the current 2.0 TDI should be fine. If urea becomes necessary due to weight, I'd rather have the 170hp version, but lets try to avoid the V6 3.0. I can't believe we would need all that power. Of course, it would be fun to dust off a 335d :D
I'd love to have that one with the 3.0. It should run like a cat with it's tail on fire!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'd love to have that one with the 3.0. It should run like a cat with it's tail on fire!
No doubt there! And if the 3.0 is the only diesel available that would not stop me from buying it if all else is in place.:D

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like a Cutlass Supreme. Will it drive like a Cutlass Supreme?
I've owned a couple of Cutlass Supremes back in the 70s and 80s. I am sure this would run circles around them :p

loaba

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Jetta Sportwagen
Looks like a Cutlass Supreme. Will it drive like a Cutlass Supreme?
I was thinking it looked more like a sporty Lumina (which is an oxymoron.) I would like for VW sell more units, but not if it means making cars that look like Chevies. If I wanted a Chevy, I'd buy one.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I don't know why you are so certain... look at those louvred disk brake cooling ports, and the louvred panel between them. I've never seen that on any VW. Prove me wrong...Please, post a link to the year and model where you see that front fascia.
....:cool: It's water over the dam now, but taken as a whole, that car looks 95% MK5 Jetta, especially its proportions. Given we know the NMS will be much bigger than a Jetta, it was quite apparent that your picture probably wasn't the NMS.

This angle from the NMS has the truck for scale shows that this is a BIG car! I agree with the author that there doesn't really seem to be a place for the Passat and this car.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
....:cool: It's water over the dam now, but taken as a whole, that car looks 95% MK5 Jetta, especially its proportions. Given we know the NMS will be much bigger than a Jetta, it was quite apparent that your picture probably wasn't the NMS.

This angle from the NMS has the truck for scale shows that this is a BIG car! I agree with the author that there doesn't really seem to be a place for the Passat and this car.

I will be curious to see if those louvred disk brake windows are in the air dam. I've never seen that before. Kind of looks good.

Last edited:

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
I'd have loved to see the 170 go into the CC, then I would likely not have switched over to the 335d. Although, I don't see an Audi/VW V6 TDI muscling out BMWs 3.0 straight-6 anytime soon...265hp and 425 ft-lbs is formidable - the dual, sequential turbos are something.

That said, I hope the NMS has styling that comes at least a little bit towards the CC, which is a beautiful car. I'd hate to see it be just a 110% Mk 5 Jetta. If it's nice, it may stand a chance of taking the place of my faithful ALH-powered Mk IV (bless its soul, it's a fantastic little car). The 170 would be especially nice behind a smooth 6-speed stick! :)

Regards

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Lets hope and see the cc is sharp looking.I wish it had the TDI option and 6 speed.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Speaking of the six speed anyone catch the new BMW SAV is coming out with an 8 speed auto....:confused: Wonder what that will do for mpg?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Makes sense, in an idiotic VWoA sort of convoluted thinking:
A lower content Jetta to make room for a lower content (than Passat) NMS, which then further differentiates it from, and is apparently hoped to make room for, the wishful-thinking numerous sales of a lower content (than Audi A8) Phaeton.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
What I'm seeing is a two-pronged strategy of sorts, and it actually kinda makes sense if you think about it, although it adds a lot of complexity for dealers (twice the models to support.)

The first prong of the strategy is keeping the traditional VW customer. Golf/Sportwagen for the customers that want A platform, CC (and maybe Passat Wagon) for customers that want B platform, Tiguan and Touareg for customers that want a premium family hauler.

Then, the second prong is attracting Civorolla and Camcord customers. Jetta for Civorolla customers, NMS (Passat) for Camcord customers, Routan for Oddienna customers.

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
I wonder if they are going to call the NMS Quantum when it is released. That said, I think their ideal consumers are Europeans who appreciate better content. They have always had problem with the American consumer because people here tend to look at the sticker price and compare a compact VW to a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai or Chevy. Unless the Consumer appreciates things such soft touch surfaces, a real dashboard and not a piece of hard plastic, then they have no choice to change their products for this market. Their responsibilities are to their share holders and so they have to make what people will buy. Don't get me wrong I can't believe it came down to this but I don't think they have choice in the matter. Not if they want to grow. Beside, they still have their Audi brand that can sell into the upper tier.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Thank you for including the link to the article. I would have been thinking 'NMS' stood for "North 'Murican Sedan" since VW won't bother sending it anywhere else.

OTOH, if they continue on their current sales figures, they might send it elsewhere just to try and pay for the tooling.

SalsaRed2010

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagon, 2013 Jetta SportWagon, and 2010 Jetta SportWagon
AutoCar: New VW Passat Unveiled

AutoCar: New VW Passat unveiled

29 September 2010

Volkswagen has revealed the seventh generation of its Passat at the Paris motor show, ahead of order books opening in mid-October.

The new model is based on the same underpinnings as the outgoing car, although every body panel has been changed. It’s just four millimetres longer than the old car, at 4769mm, but its width and height remain unchanged.

Styling changes include a fresh front grille and headlight treatment, and more chrome and new tail-lights at the rear. Inside there’s a revised fascia with new instrument dials and finishes, redesigned seats and a slightly revised centre console.

The line-up of petrol engines comprises a 1.4-litre 120bhp TSI, a 158bhp 1.8, and a 2.0-litre 207bhp TSI. The diesels are a 1.6-litre motor with 104bhp, offering 68.8mpg and 109g/km of CO2 in Bluemotion guise, and a 2.0 with either 138bhp or 168bhp.

Read more here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/253049/