Californian's... 2004 BEW into a TJ?

osxuser

TDI
2010 JSW 6spd. 2004 Jetta 1.9PD 5spd
I have to preface this by saying I'm in California... I have a 2004 Jetta BEW that is ready for part out. I want to swap it in a TJ or LJ, AND PASS SMOG. Is there anyone in California that has documented where to start? Obviously, it depends on your Referee too.

HPA/Cotybuilt seems like an expensive route, and I'm not real certain that retaining the Jeep cluster would pass a referee anyway.

So basically, has anyone done this and successfully gotten through the referee process?

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
I have to preface this by saying I'm in California... I have a 2004 Jetta BEW that is ready for part out. I want to swap it in a TJ or LJ, AND PASS SMOG. Is there anyone in California that has documented where to start? Obviously, it depends on your Referee too.

HPA/Cotybuilt seems like an expensive route, and I'm not real certain that retaining the Jeep cluster would pass a referee anyway.

So basically, has anyone done this and successfully gotten through the referee process?
What year is the recipient?

If it is 97 or earlier you may be able to just go to the DMV and get inspected and have the fuel type changed to "D". This is what I did - no referee and for me went very smoothly. If the recipient is newer than 97 then yes, you'll need to deal with the referee. You should call the referee and talk to them about your project to see what is required. I did this and they were helpful.

(Note: There is a special word for getting inspected, which unfortunately I forgot. This process is not just checking the fuel type, but things like wipers and turn signals as I recall)

Good luck and post pics!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If it's a TJ, then it could be anything from 97-06. LJ, the later end of that span if memory serves.

osxuser

TDI
What year is the recipient?

If it is 97 or earlier you may be able to just go to the DMV and get inspected and have the fuel type changed to "D". This is what I did - no referee and for me went very smoothly. If the recipient is newer than 97 then yes, you'll need to deal with the referee. You should call the referee and talk to them about your project to see what is required. I did this and they were helpful.

(Note: There is a special word for getting inspected, which unfortunately I forgot. This process is not just checking the fuel type, but things like wipers and turn signals as I recall)

Good luck and post pics!

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

I have not yet bought the recipient, which makes it easier. I was looking for a manual with a blown motor. The whole point I guess is that I know what I want to end up with, and I'm buying things to make it easier.

My understanding of the rules in CA was that the smog check/devices followed the swap, not the recipient's rules. So even if it went into a 1997 TJ, they would smog it like it was a 2004 TDI. If that is not the case, I'm shopping for a 1997, because I'd love to do a EGR delete at the same time!

The only pictures right now would be of a front-left hit Jetta that I've been driving for the last 30k miles :).

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
I have a 2005 BEW swap in my 88 4runner. I went to the DMV and switched notice of power from GAS to DIESEL, just like markd89 said. They came out to inspect the truck and gave me my plates the same day. Got my title in the mail and it says “D” :)

When registering the car, dont tell DMV anything about the engine besides that it’s a diesel, unless they specifically ask.
The only reason they will send you to REF is if they know what year of your car and donor motor is (1998 and up) In that case you’ll need to provide all emissions equipment that came with the engine from the donor car.

Good luck :)

osxuser

TDI
I have a 2005 BEW swap in my 88 4runner. I went to the DMV and switched notice of power from GAS to DIESEL, just like markd89 said. They came out to inspect the truck and gave me my plates the same day. Got my title in the mail and it says “D” :)
When registering the car, dont tell DMV anything about the engine besides that it’s a diesel, unless they specifically ask.
The only reason they will send you to REF is if they know what year of your car and donor motor is (1998 and up) In that case you’ll need to provide all emissions equipment that came with the engine from the donor car.
Good luck :)
Did you do the conversion first, then register it in CA? Or was it a G in CA previously and then became a D? In other words, should I buy a vehicle out of state, and only register it AFTER the conversion? I want to make this as easy as possible on myself. :)

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Did you do the conversion first, then register it in CA? Or was it a G in CA previously and then became a D? In other words, should I buy a vehicle out of state, and only register it AFTER the conversion? I want to make this as easy as possible on myself. :)
If its out of state they will inspect everything.. vin numbers and all. Register the car first. This way youll be registered and able to drive with the swap to figure out all the bugs.

It was previously G in California. I got my 4runner from auction in California with a blown motor, i wasnt able to get it resisted because well cant pass smog with a dead engine. It would have made it alot easier.

osxuser

TDI
If its out of state they will inspect everything.. vin numbers and all. Register the car first. This way youll be registered and able to drive with the swap to figure out all the bugs.
It was previously G in California. I got my 4runner from auction in California with a blown motor, i wasnt able to get it resisted because well cant pass smog with a dead engine. It would have made it alot easier.
Ok, sounds like I have a plan to move forward with then. Did you use an adapter to the stock trans in the 4 Runner? I guess I'm in the market for a 1997 TJ!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Ok, sounds like I have a plan to move forward with then. Did you use an adapter to the stock trans in the 4 Runner? I guess I'm in the market for a 1997 TJ!
Just be clear on what you're getting yourself into and that you are operating within the grey margins of the law.

A clerk at the DMV isn't highly motivated to cross reference all the blocks on the form you hand them with the vehicle in the lot with the laws on the books.

Totally different animal from a CHP officer bored or agitated who wants to see under the hood and start checking VINs. LEO tend to crack down on all the illegal JDM mods/swaps done in similar fashion to what's being suggested to you in this thread...whether you get caught up in that net is anyone's guess. Might never be an issue but the wrong day, wrong side of the bed, a little puff of smoke to pique curiosity and you'll be stranded on the side of the road calling for an Uber.

lexi.kiselev

TDI
88 4runner tdi
Yes i did use an adapter. First one i had was ACME, i had too many problems with that so i got another one made for me.

Ive been pulled over a few times while i was working out the bugs...both of the times a big black cloud of smoke was involved amongst other things.Both times they let me go because my registration says D. However Bizzle is correct about the grey margins of law. You never know when THE LAW might pop your hood. Im not worried about that too much, but thats just me.

osxuser

TDI
Yes i did use an adapter. First one i had was ACME, i had too many problems with that so i got another one made for me.
Ive been pulled over a few times while i was working out the bugs...both of the times a big black cloud of smoke was involved amongst other things.Both times they let me go because my registration says D. However Bizzle is correct about the grey margins of law. You never know when THE LAW might pop your hood. Im not worried about that too much, but thats just me.
I understand the possible reprocussions. Ironically, a legally done swap with a referee approval is just as likely to get given grief by afore mentioned bored LEO. Fortunately I live in the country and will not be using this for my primary, so I think the risk is worth the potental benefits. Diesels are the norm where I am.