2001 New Beetle TDI

jamilee

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI in Silver
I'm looking at purchasing a used TDI beetle (GLS) through a dealer (now VW). It has 30K miles and per kelly blue book is priced below that list. What sorts of things should I look for according to maintenance schedules, etc? Also, should I be concerned about the low mileage (I know they like long drives) - I commute over 500 miles/week which explains my interest in the TDI. Any other thoughts?

luckeydoug1

TDI
Currently none, several in the past
You may want to reconsider this one. We have owned the following VWs, all new: 2000 Jetta sdn, TDI; 2001 Beetle, TDI; 2002 Jetta Wgn, TDI; 2003 Eurovan; 2003 Beetle, TDI; 2003 Passat. Of these the 2001 Beetle was a nightmare repair wise, which is why it has been trade for the Passat. If you look in a Consumers Report you will see it gets terrible marks. Ours pretty much mirrored that report. The car had just over 41,000 when we got rid of it. Just a few of the things I can remember off the top of my head:
brake caliper disintegrated, loss of brakes, damage to rotor @ about 5000 miles. Electrical problems including premature failure of nearly all headlight, tailight etc bulbs (turnsignal and fog lights both went on the same day); Glow plug harness shorted out. Typical power window issues (NOTE: they use plastic clips that WILL break and contrary to what is implied in the letter from VW re: extended warranty on these items to settle the class action suit, VW will not authorize replacement until total failure of part MEANING your window will probably be down and you will not be able to get it back up until part is replaced. Imagine damage, theft etc that could ocur). Premature tire wear/replacement with stock tires (in comparison with our other VWs; several issues with remote lock, headlights on chimes quit working; faulty manual transmission syncro (2nd) that the dealer could not repair correctly even with a new trans, shifter, cables, etc. Trunk latch up and quit; dealer fixed with new mechanism. 6 disk CD changer skipped like crazy, difficult to load CDs properly. (a different changer using the identical magazine worked flawlessly). However, on a positive note, the bud vase never broke! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jamilee

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI in Silver
Yikes
Thanks for the quick response! I found this through a local dealer website and have spoken to one of the internet managers over email only. She mentioned that this car had a battery replaced and a new clutch (weird for something w/ only 30k miles I thought, which is why I'm a bit wary). Mechanical inspection report is available and comes with 1 yr free roadside assistance (but jeez, who wants to be stranded just to get problem to station) and extended warranty can be purchased. I am going to print your thoughts and take them with us when we go check out this car in person. I really appreciate the heads up!

duh

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2000, Black
Keep in mind that any model car will have a lemon every now and then. This family has 2 TDi Beetles. A 1999 and a 2000. 99 had a clutch/flywheel put in at 91,000, a timing belt at 60k, a couple of bulbs, 1 MAF and a glow plug harness at 90k. The 2000 had it's factory timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles (3 days ago), 1 headlight bulb and that's it. Both cars have proven themselves from the heat of the summer down to -40 in the winter (with no plug in type heater.) Each had the intake cleaned and EGR issue addressed (no big deal). Each car gets a 20,000 mile oil change. These may not be the best cars on the planet but I'd have no problem buying another when the magic day comes. Good luck in your descision.

luckeydoug1

TDI
Currently none, several in the past
/images/graemlins/eek.gif WOW! No way should it need a new clutch at 30K. I would suspect one of the following: abused, chipped or incorrect mileage as a start.