True Silent design Southbend Clutches only at kermaTDI

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
Woot! Thanks so much!

I look forward to this. I will post an un-biased review of this for all of you forumites. I expect to have my car up and running again in about 2 weeks or so.

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Paul

That was very kind of you!!! It was a joke not even a long shot and I am happy you were willing to help a TDI member!

I would of jumped on it but I would have to take time off of work to film it. I am currently out of state for my job and not near my TDI!

I should a waited until I got back to open my Mouth. :eek::eek::eek: (I bear no ill will)

Thanks Again!

Billy

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
Paul

That was very kind of you!!! It was a joke not even a long shot and I am happy you were willing to help a TDI member!

I would of jumped on it but I would have to take time off of work to film it. I am currently out of state for my job and not near my TDI!

I should a waited until I got back to open my Mouth. :eek::eek::eek: (I bear no ill will)

Thanks Again!

Billy
Hi Billy

Since you came up with the idea, call me. I will do something, so you don't totally miss out.:D

Cheers
Paul

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
I finished up shooting the video today. Sending it out to Paul over the next day or so.

Very nice clutch!

-JR

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the motor. Clutch has a nice feel at the pedal. It feels the same to me as my old original DM setup, smooth and easy. I wont be able to say more until I get my ECU back in the mail. I have it out for tuning. I hope to have that back in a week or so.

So far so good tho!

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
Looking forward to this video/write up.
Need to make sure I can accomplish this task before I purchase one ;)

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
if south bend put all there eggs in your basket they just lost a customer just like colt did. Maybe i am miss reading but sure sounds like your taking credit for southbends work. So how exactly did you help in the design of this clutch?

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
The video has been sent to Paul as promised.

I got my NB up and running today. I have around 30 miles of stop and go driving on it. Clutch is indeed silent. No gear rattle at all. So far it is as advertised. I will update here after I get a few hundred miles on it.
The stage II daily is what I have. It is as nice and smooth and as easy as the old stock DM flywheel set up.
-JR

VailPowder

TDI
Had a question:

-- " Can existing Southbend 02J 5 speed clutches be upgraded to the Silent Design? "

Yes, as long as the Southbend clutch came with the Southbend 22 lbs flywheel, we can supply the upgrade parts.

[ as soon as the new parts are available in adequate supply ...right now we are selling Silent Design faster than they can keep up. ]

Last edited:

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
I have 700 miles on the new silent design. It is awesome! No hint of the gear clatter that plagued the older design(s)! The stage II daily is still as smooth and easy as the OEM DM flywheel. I am happy I upgraded to the SM flywheel. I feel I now have the durability of the SM design with the smoothness of the DM design! I recommend this to anyone considering a clutch swap, upgrade, or replacement.

I will comment again on this after a few thousand miles.

-JR

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
I have 700 miles on the new silent design. It is awesome! No hint of the gear clatter that plagued the older design(s)! The stage II daily is still as smooth and easy as the OEM DM flywheel. I am happy I upgraded to the SM flywheel. I feel I now have the durability of the SM design with the smoothness of the DM design! I recommend this to anyone considering a clutch swap, upgrade, or replacement.

I will comment again on this after a few thousand miles.

-JR
Thanks JR

It has been a pleasure working with you, I hope we can do more in the future!

As a side note, we have the Southbend Silent Design Clutches in stock for the 02J 5 speed transmissions , [the 5 speeds in our TDI's].

There is also a Silent Design for the 6 Speed 02M transmission.

As far as we know no one else has the 02J Silent Design... as I wrote on April 7 ; I think eventually every Southbend Dealer will have the new Silent Design

But I don't think that anyone else has this product, and Silent Design Southbend 02J clutches have to ship from kerma

Silent Design means Southbend's newest and best 02J 5 speed clutch

We have had calls about 'quiet' Southbend clutches or 'quiet' TDI clutches that are not Southbend. Like last Fall, this 'Silent / Quiet' terminology has a lot of people confused

So to answer those questions for everyone:

We supply our Silent Design kit complete with all Southbend parts ... no substituted parts

There is no 'quiet' design from Southbend... there is the newest upgrade Southbend 02J clutch that has been named the Silent Design ..sort of by popular demand

There are also some less expensive option from Sachs that are nice.

IMHO, they are not as nice as the new Southbend product and they won't have the power handling... but these are a quality option also...and we have the lowest price on the Sachs kits

Naturally , I would rather support Southbend and sell the stronger clutches, but the right Sachs is a good product... especially for mild builds

Southbend has supported the TDI community with the best and widest range of performance clutch products for many years... and so I like to support Southbend

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
My Southbend Stage 2 Endurance was installed a few days ago. Rattle free at last! It also has light pedal action. Very worthwhile.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Funny....There are others and IDparts ones are just as quiet....just saying.

A lot of chest thumping going on in this thread.

Joshua

TDI
ALH
Got mine in a couple weeks ago. It's a shame I won't get to test it for months to come, but it was pretty when it could be seen!

Now you see it,

Now you don't,

Thanks for the deal, and the constant updates on shipping and such!

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Has this clutch install video been put up on Youtube or anything yet? I think that would be pretty cool...

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

with 50K+ miles on this clutch I am happy to report it is indeed silent and smooth.

However, with a moderate tune, (PP 520, Malone stage 3, VNT 17 turbo, 3 bar MAF, 2.5" straight exhaust) It began slipping at around 10K miles and has progressively gotten worse. This most often occurs under hard acceleration up moderate hills.

I would recommend this now, only for mostly stock motors.

-JR

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Update:

with 50K+ miles on this clutch I am happy to report it is indeed silent and smooth.

However, with a moderate tune, (PP 520, Malone stage 3, VNT 17 turbo, 3 bar MAF, 2.5" straight exhaust) It began slipping at around 10K miles and has progressively gotten worse. This most often occurs under hard acceleration up moderate hills.

I would recommend this now, only for mostly stock motors.

-JR
What specific clutch do you happen to have?