why there is no indication on dashboard about regeneration?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Because people would drive around like idiots, wasting time and fuel until the light went out.
Worse yet, people would drive around with their eyeballs stuck in the cockpit instead of on the road where they belong.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yes, there are four exhaust gas temperature sensors that you can monitor. The most interesting ones are #1 and #3.
Is there a pictorial anywhere showing the locations and does the pictorial show which X-gauge codes go with each? I've been to the VW parts diagram, but 1 through 4 aren't necessarily in sequence from top to bottom or upstream to downstream, or are they?

I have the X-Gauge codes programmed in. The ScanGauge II shows 4 different temps, but have no clue which relates to which numbered sensor other than disconnecting one at a time (too hard to get to the connections) to see which sensor drops out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Pretty easy to tell when a regen happens. The temp will rise on the EGT pre turbo first and each of the others will follow to some extent afterwards in turn.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I can see why they didn't, but I think it could possibly be programmed in (added) in the software, with no hardware changes. Have the ECU send a signal to the Instruments to turn the DPF lamp on, or better yet, have it do a specific on-off flash sequence to let the driver know the regen has begun and is in progress.
Better yet, on cars so-equipped, display a message in the MFA screen! :)
This is too simple-stupid for the engineers hoping for wings to comprehend. I concur that there should be a indicator - anything is better. MFA is an excellent idea, and if you don't want it, simply toggle it off. If I can get nagged about servicing the car or if a light bulb goes out on the MFA, I should also be able to get nagged about a regen in progress! Meanwhile, I use a scangage to keep myself informed of actual coolant temp, boost, voltage and EGT. Now if I can only get the oil thermal sensor to read out in the MFA!

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Is there a pictorial anywhere showing the locations and does the pictorial show which X-gauge codes go with each? I've been to the VW parts diagram, but 1 through 4 aren't necessarily in sequence from top to bottom or upstream to downstream, or are they?
I have the X-Gauge codes programmed in. The ScanGauge II shows 4 different temps, but have no clue which relates to which numbered sensor other than disconnecting one at a time (too hard to get to the connections) to see which sensor drops out.
Yes there is, and somebody posted it a while ago. (Sorry, can't find it now, but googling should help.)
The locations are also in the xgauge codes linked from my signature.
Code:
ET178 05410678 3810 0001000AFFD8 ºC      exhaust temp. before turbo
ET2 78 05410678 4810 0001000AFFD8 ºC      exhaust temp. before ox.cat.
ET3 78 0321     2010 0001000AFFD8 ºC      exhaust temp. before DPF
ET4 78 0321     3010 0001000AFFD8 ºC      exhaust temp. after DPF

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
not only Americans buyers but most buyers. US or Europe doesn't matter, people are lazy and ignorant.
But still there is a small percentage of "I wanna know how/why" buyers and I guess cars will last longer for them.
Fine then, but give us 'enthusiasts' an adaption or bit toggle whereby we can turn it on, like the DPF lamp blinking, or a message in the vehicle status on the MFD. Something or at least an option would be great.

Last edited:

PurpleGrimace

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
One could simply keep on keepin' on and realize that your car will run just fine whether it is in a regen or not, and whether you interrupt it or not.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
One could but some of us don't like to just bury our head in the sand. Knowledge is power and as enthusiasts we want to know what is happening.

offnote

TDI
VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI CR 140HP
One could simply keep on keepin' on and realize that your car will run just fine whether it is in a regen or not, and whether you interrupt it or not.
not possible anymore, if you don't your car will last not too long and it has been planned that way. Planned obsolescence.
Look at light bulb conspiracy, same model applies today to almost any product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbbF3oxf-E

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I used to believe this too. Then I installed an EGT gauge and realized that 10 minutes at 1200 to 1500 degrees F. will get the turbocharger very hot. Shutting down the car with the turbo at these temperatures cannot be good for your turbocharger. These temperatures are hot enough to almost instantly turn oil into tar (or worse) and it is hot enough to melt pure aluminum. I choose to not interrupt regenerations unless it is an emergency, and I have very few emergencies in my life. I want my turbocharger to last a long time.

Have Fun!

Don

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
It's probably been removed for the same reason the ESP/ASR defeat buttons have been removed.
Less for us to fiddle with us.
Maybe so, but you can re-enable the function with some wire and a switch. I for one would like to 'accidentally' discover a hidden, unmarked no-name bit in VCDS that would enable some kind of warning on the cluster.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Gentlemen,

Once again as has previously been noted... Economics and the effort to make our TDI acceptable to the general consumer dictate what we get.

No ESP or Regen? Does anyone here seriously think that John Q. Public has a clue? Flash a Regen warning and the dealer would be inundated with panic calls. This juxtaposed to a real warning which would mostly be ignored. After all, why would a CEL or other warning be of any concern?

Then ESP. Somehow some of us actually believe that the owner of a brand new TDI could (or would) understand ESP when challenged to even fuel the vehicle properly? How many of us here have gone for our entire driving careers without misfueling a vehicle? I suspect most here have never done so. How many here have needed that pesky filler nozzle to prevent a fueling error? I suspect not many.

But that's us! Most here understand and appreciate a diesel. More than a few here understand what we're seeing when we open the hood on our TDI. Unfortunately we are not the general public. Which is why a good number of TDI owners probably have their spark plugs changed along with their oil... That is if they bother to change their oil.

The goal is to make vehicles idiot proof. The problem is that the idiots are always one step ahead of the engineers. We as a general public are pathetic.

Last edited:

offnote

TDI
VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI CR 140HP
The goal is to make vehicles idiot proof. The problem is that the idiots are always one step ahead of the engineers. We as a general public are pathetic.
that's not the point here - idiot proof is fine, not everybody is interested in technology and cars, some just want to drive and don't give a damn how and why but idiot proof approach should not limit car's life span otherwise it's not idiot proof. For me it's cheating.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Fortunately we have the ability to take matters into our own hands and educate ourselves on our vehicle operations.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The nice thing is that there is the OBD2 interface that provides all kind of data, to feed any instrument or indicator you like.
The not so nice thing is that VW refuses to provide the definitions (a dictionary) for what they actually make accessible there.

Plus, the OBD2 interface market hasn't really taken off yet.

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
The manual has an indicator of a sorts.

The shift indicator on the dash tells you to be in the lower gear when a regeneration is in process. Found the info in the manual.

Experienced it for the first time this afternoon when the indicator said to be in 4th when the tach in 5th was above 1200 going down hill.

Normally I can hear the fan and the idle is closer to 1K. With the top down, you can smell the hot metal when it is in process.

Derigiberble

TDI
2010 Jetta
Gentlemen,

Once again as has previously been noted... Economics and the effort to make our TDI acceptable to the general consumer dictate what we get.

No ESP or Regen? Does anyone here seriously think that John Q. Public has a clue? Flash a Regen warning and the dealer would be inundated with panic calls. This juxtaposed to a real warning which would mostly be ignored. After all, why would a CEL or other warning be of any concern?

Then ESP. Somehow some of us actually believe that the owner of a brand new TDI could (or would) understand ESP when challenged to even fuel the vehicle properly? How many of us here have gone for our entire driving careers without misfueling a vehicle? I suspect most here have never done so. How many here have needed that pesky filler nozzle to prevent a fueling error? I suspect not many.

But that's us! Most here understand and appreciate a diesel. More than a few here understand what we're seeing when we open the hood on our TDI. Unfortunately we are not the general public. Which is why a good number of TDI owners probably have their spark plugs changed along with their oil... That is if they bother to change their oil.

Well this isn't just a TDI specific occurrence either.

Many manufacturers switched from live gauges to smoothed and in some cases flat out simulated gauges because people would come in and complain that their oil pressure was dropping at idle or the coolant temperature was climbing when they were in stuck in traffic with the A/C running. A bunch of companies don't even bother with a coolant temperature gauge anymore and instead just have an idiot light.

VW does this too. On my Mk5 Jetta as soon as the coolant temp hits 165 (as read by OBDII) the coolant temp indicator goes to 190 and stays there even if the engine gets to 208-210 in the hot Texas summer.

And on the original topic: My father's F-350 alerts him when the 6.7 is undergoing a regen, but then again that's a completely different market segment. It even has engine oil and transmission temperature readouts!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
On my Mk5 Jetta as soon as the coolant temp hits 165 (as read by OBDII) the coolant temp indicator goes to 190 and stays there even if the engine gets to 208-210 in the hot Texas summer.
Does my 2010 have a freak temperature gauge?

Mine is actually accurate +/-5 degrees to the scan gauge's readout.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Does my 2010 have a freak temperature gauge?
Mine is actually accurate +/-5 degrees to the scan gauge's readout.
All VWs in at least the last 15 years have had buffered temperature gauges that display "190" when the temp is between 165 and 225. If yours doesn't do this, then yes, you have a freak gauge.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Unless you get a new VW, no temp gauge :eek:
A new Jetta or Beetle. Everything else has a temp gauge. ;)

The Beetle does have an optional oil temp gauge, though, and I don't believe it is buffered.

Last edited: