PD TANDEM PUMP REBUILD $25 EBAY KIT (leaking into crankcase/oil)

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
so after some searching I found no good source on a tandem pump rebuild. considering I may learn a thing, and save over $200 I ordered a random kit off ebay to see what I could make happen....everything seemed to be good and grand, except the oring for the check valve/vacuum hose connector the kit had everything I needed

This was on a BEW 2005 Jetta made some youtube videos, thought i was able to splice together on youtube but they removed that option a couple years back...so its a series of short (some useless?) videos.
hopefully it helps. So far so good on my end but its been like 200 miles.....

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Also pay no attention to the shotty unstable workspace and the disastrous storage unit.....
link for the kit I bought is in vid description.

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
RE: PD Tandem Pump Rebuild

Nice tip. My tandem pump has been leaking oil down the side of my engine and making a mess of things for a while now. I replaced the pump to cylinder head gasket a few years ago but that evidently wasn't the root cause. For $25 I'll give this rebuilt kit a try.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! yeah I was very pleased, honestly didn't expect it to be the right kit, but seems to have done the trick for me, hopefully it works for you and others!

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I just rebuilt the one for my 2005 NB using an eBay kit, but I'm doing other work on it and haven't tried it yet. Sounds like you're happy with it? Hopefully, mine will work out well also.

For context: I loaned the car to a young lady almost 3 years ago who told me she know how to drive a standard. She destroyed the clutch about a month later. I started replacing the clutch, but after getting everything apart, my elderly father passed away, we moved, and several other life events happened, so I'm just now finisheing the job. The engine was completely covered in oil/dirt, so I took time to clean it up and am replacing anything that was leaking or probably leaking -- with oil everywhere, it's hard to tell. I know the tandem pump was leaking because the EGR coolant hose that runs under it was soft and spongy. While I'm at it, I'm also upgrading the turbocharger to VNT17. So I have a fair amount left to do.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Thanks! yeah I was very pleased, honestly didn't expect it to be the right kit, but seems to have done the trick for me, hopefully it works for you and others!

There are 2 different kits for the tandem pump on eBay, and they both show up when you search even with the part number! Luckily when I took the pump apart I was going to rebuild and found it was not the right kit, they accepted my return!

The kit showed in the first post is the one I needed, but I haven’t ordered it yet.

I grabbed a spare out of the PYP yard to rebuild, so it was not a major issue yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
How much that run from the yard? I thought of that but not likely to find a tdi or it may be bad as well...think I got a Less than perfect axle but not sure.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
How much that run from the yard? I thought of that but not likely to find a tdi or it may be bad as well...think I got a Less than perfect axle but not sure.

I think I paid like $10, by calling it a vacuum pump (not a lie)! They have different prices for fuel and vacuum pumps, so I went with the cheaper of the two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speersy49

TDI
2004 Jetta
Also pay no attention to the shotty unstable workspace and the disastrous storage unit.....
link for the kit I bought is in vid description.
Thanks, I've been looking into this. Dealer says not serviceable of course. $600 for a new pump. Seems easy enough to do, any unforseen problems with priming the system again? Unfortunately the one you linked is $180 US to ship to Canada for some reason but I've found another in Europe that is slightly more expensive but can be shipped much cheaper. Or wait until the borders open up again and I can pick it up in Washington State. [emoji52]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I've been looking into this. Dealer says not serviceable of course. $600 for a new pump. Seems easy enough to do, any unforseen problems with priming the system again? Unfortunately the one you linked is $180 US to ship to Canada for some reason but I've found another in Europe that is slightly more expensive but can be shipped much cheaper. Or wait until the borders open up again and I can pick it up in Washington State. [emoji52]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I was pleasantly surprised, I didn’t have to crank it too much, maybe like 5 cycles or so. 10 tops....that’s odd, If you need I can middle man it.