How does the selection gear go back together? (5th gear swap)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Finally got everything taken apart, and put back together, but ran into a major bump in the road with the selector gear.

Even though I tried to keep all the pieces together as they came out, and looked at them closely, I'm a bit at a loss as to how to get it back together.

First, I can put it together outside of the tranny, and then put it back all in one piece, right? (I sure hope so).

Secondly, in putting it together, where/how do the little holder pieces hold onto the spring? Do both springs go inside the little cut-out? Or does the inner one go outside, underneath the little over-hang thing?

Is there an illustration somewhere?
Please help....! ? :eek:

Thanks.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
there are photos in the gearswap thread.. did you see them?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've studied the photos from the .pdf how-tos of chitty-bang-bang and david_594, but couldn't see what i needed to see.

Are there more in that thread? I searched but didn't find anything really helpful.

I'll go look again.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just to wrap this, I managed to figure it out and got everything back together, took it out for a drive, and since nothing exploded, melted, or made evil noises, I'll assume I put everything back together the way it was meant to be.

Having done this now, the how-tos I alluded to earlier are invaluable; however, david_594's "the Bentley has detailed instructions" to get the selector gear back together could probably use some expanding upon.

So here we go.
1. You're going to put the selector gear back together BEFORE you press the centre part of it back onto the transmission spindle from which it was removed.

2. There are seven parts to the selector gear thing:
a) the inner part that presses onto the transmission spindle - it has three narrow gaps and three wider gaps around it's circumference.
b) the outer part - there are three "cut-out" teeth on the inner surface; difficult to notice at first, but easy to pick out once you know what you're looking at.
c) three little locking teeth things
d) two C-shaped wire springs - one of these goes in the front and the other at the back of the assembly

Assembly instructions:
1. Put the C-springs on either side of the inner gear (part that presses on to spindle). Be sure that they mirror each other and that the spring covers all three of the narrow gaps.
It'll be just a little short at covering one of the holes, but once the spring is pressed down, it covers just fine.

2. Put the locking teeth things into the narrow gaps such that the springs are held under the main arch of the little locking teeth; there's an "overhang" on each of the locking teeth things - that goes on the backside of the assembly.

3. Now, while pressing the little teeth things in against the springs, you'll have to slip this assembly into the outer gear part. The "cut-out" teeth on its inner circumference, obviously, correspond to the three locking teeth things.
Consult photos in the how-tos to be sure you understand which is front/back (or, probably more accuratly, outward-facing/inward-facing).

It takes some jiggling, and maybe a couple of attempts, but once you have it together properly, it should be apparent. The inner part will be able to move in/out a little.

I hope that makes sense. It probably doesn't unless you've done this before, or you're in the midst of doing this for the first time.....and to that person, I hope it provides some assistance.

Have fun! :)