Installing an ALH in a 2005

hillelectric

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
I own a 2002 with the automatic. It is nearing 300K and has had a rough life. The body is pretty beat up and the springs have sagged enough it will barely clear a baseball size rock. The transmission is shifting hard from 4 to 3 and there is a slight delay at times for the transmission to engage when you first put it in gear. I have done a lot of the repairs on this car myself (timing belts, cleaning turbo, fixing door switches and such). I really don't want to put the time and cost in to doing a transmission swap on a car that is so beat up. I have a friend selling her 05 Mk4 PD manual that has 270K for around $4,000. Its in a lot better shape than my 02. I am considering buying it because I have been looking for a MK4 TDI with a standard that is in better shape. What I am wondering is has anyone put an ALH motor in an 05 MK4? I am just curious because I am thinking of keeping the 02 for a parts car and the motor is still going strong. If I were to ever crater the motor in the 05 it would be nice to have the option of using the motor out of the 02. If it wont swap without a major ordeal I will probably pass on this 05 and keep looking for an earlier mk4 model in decent shape. Thanks for any advice!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Probably get more suggestions in the "Conversions" section of the forum, but it won't be worth the effort (in my opinion-and I did a gas to TDI swap).

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it's doable... engine harness swap to the rainbow plenum group, AC lines, power steering lines, alternator harness. You can swap out the in-tank lift pump/sender for an ALH unit or you can wire the BEW lift pump relay to the fuel stop solenoid. There may be a few other details but i'm planning the same swap myself and can fill in the voids if any pop up.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
It's definitely possible, but imo buying a 04 tdi for that much, I'd just drive that engine. Maybe time to have the debate to cut your losses with the ALH and join the BEW gang.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would suggest finding a lower mileage PD, or another ALH. If you find another ALH, the current engine will make a relatively easy replacement. I'd bet a fair bit that for the price of a timing belt job extra, a much lower miles car can be had.
cheers,
Douglas

hillelectric

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
Thanks for the info and suggestions. The more I think about it I am pretty sure I will pass. Gonna replace the valve body in my 02 and keep searching for a lower mileage ALH with a standard. They are hard to find around here, the closest I have found anything worth looking at is usually a 1,000 miles away. The price you pay for living where it is not crowded with people. If anyone is interested in the 05 let me know and I will send them their way. Thanks again!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
you did it?
errr...this was a response to(paraphrasing), 'all the good ones are 1000 miles away'. I went about 1200; SE Michigan to Homestead, Florida to pick up my $5900, 70k mi, '04. It was ~15k into a 2 year old timing belt job. I drove it home. I do kinda regret not running out to Key West...:)
cheers,
Douglas

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
I got a BEW that had a worn cam for a good price as it needed work, replaced the cam, timing belt, etc... Good as new. OR you can look for a BEW that will need a cam and pay 2X the price or more.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Thanks for the info and suggestions. The more I think about it I am pretty sure I will pass. Gonna replace the valve body in my 02 and keep searching for a lower mileage ALH with a standard. They are hard to find around here, the closest I have found anything worth looking at is usually a 1,000 miles away. The price you pay for living where it is not crowded with people. If anyone is interested in the 05 let me know and I will send them their way. Thanks again!
Get yourself a set of Moog springs off rockauto and replace those broken OEM ones! Cheap as hell and made in the USA. Fitment isn't perfect but they will jack your car right up and the price is right. Here in NY I think I replace more springs than timing belts...