Trailer hitch source?

JohnE

TDI
2013 jsw, 6mt
I've been eyeing the draw-tite 1-1/4 in. hitch for the '98 Jetta. The online retailer that had advertised it at $90 does not appear to be answering their phones.
Does anyone have a convenient source for trailer hitches? U-haul will install the same hitch for $150, but I have no desire to spend an extra $60 to have someone else drill holes in the car.

Thanks,
JohnE

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
But it from U-haul and install it yourself. Or contact Da'lan (the manufacturer of my U-haul hitch) at 1-800-THE-HITC(h) to see if they can set you up for less than the U-haul retail price.

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?
This thing confuses me. Hidden hitch sells a Class 1 1.25" square hitch for Golf and a Class 1 2.625x0.75" hitch for Jetta. Is the square any better or worse?

Moo Car

Veteran Member
I think square is better. More versatile for use with bike racks or storage racks. Never seen anything that will mount to the rectangle mount but a ball. Da'lan sells a square 1.25" for a Jetta (see above).

Faustie

I got my draw-tite trailer hitch at www.etrailer.com It was shipped quickly, bolted in nicely (mine's an A4 Jetta), no complaints, except watch for the little metal filings all over the place after you drill the holes. I think I still have some in my hands.

JohnE

TDI
2013 jsw, 6mt
Thanks for the advice. I went with Faustie's recommendation. $150 to my door includes receiver, drawbar and electrical converter for the lights. Net savings of $3 over Uhaul, but they didn't include the wiring.

JohnE

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
The instruction manuals that come with TDIs in Europe tell us that we can tow, and how much we can tow.

The TDI is a superb tow car.

Just watch the temp if you tow a really heavy trailer up the side of a mountain, same as any car.

JohnE

TDI
2013 jsw, 6mt
Update on the install:

It's been on the car for a couple of weeks and I'm pretty happy with it. If I were to do a lot of towing with it, I'd want better springs in the rear. Of course, once I'm done with car payments, I'm getting a full Shine setup.
The install itself could have gone smoother. Draw-tite said an hour. I doubled that for my estimate, per SOP. Actual was doubled yet again. grrr. The two big delay factors were:

Removing the excessive underbody coating, without leaving any metal unprotected. In the corners that's a pain. The coating was obnoxious, tenacious, and self-sealing, everything you want in underbody coating and nothing you want to be removing.

"Forming" the sheet metal behind the tow hook for the support that clamps to the tow hook. I was able to bend it without creasing, cutting, or removing paint.

Regards,
JohnE

Jupiter

TDI
panic78
since we're talking about trailers. id like to point out. The tdi engine will handle the extra load with no problem. the weight of material being towed is most important. do not exceed the weight limit per the owners manual. a small car such as this does not have the braking power to very stop heavy loads. when towing, give ample stopping distances. be sure that the weight of the material on the trailer is centered on the axles of the trailer. if the weight is too far forward, it will cause the rear of the car to squat, raising the front end, and give poor steering traction. if the weight is too far back, it will give poor traction to the rear tires. always use caution when towing.

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Doesn't VW Europe sell a OEM hitch that use factory holes??

People from Europe please answer!!

I known that all the cars (Renault/Ford) my dad owned in Europe (France), he always bought an OEM hitch for his cars. They all used factory holes.

I'm pretty relunctant to drill my car at all, and some of those U-Haul hitches really look awfull.

My .02 cents

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
You don't need an exorbitantly-priced OEM hitch to use the manufacturer's mounting points without drilling. Witter and Towsure are the big suppliers, no hole-drilling required. All that's needed is a small cutaway underneath the bumper I don't think Witter has a website, but Towsure does:
www.towsure.co.uk

I brought two Towsure ones with me, but unfortunately haven't got round to fitting them yet. (£70 = US$100 or so for the Golf/Jetta. When I've done the first I'll post info here.

I have the fitting instructions if anyone wants them. E-mail me with your fax no.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Richard P ]