Road Hazard: Bicyclists' Disregard of Traffic Laws

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
When I was a teenager a cyclist rode out in front of me... his face bounced off the windshield of my '75 Bus (broke them both). Cop gave the guy a ticket and slipped it in his shirt pocket as they lifted him into the ambulance. Priceless.
*snicker*

I was in the Chicago area on Monday to pick my mother up from the airport. I was driving her car making a trip to the Apple store in Oak Brook to see if they had a replacement keyboard for my Macbook. Was turning right off of Route 83, turning on a GREEN ARROW, when a Lance Armstrong ran the red light to cross 83. I turned right into him, struck him with a glancing blow that sent him wobbling for a length, and then he hit the curb and did a flying dive over the handlebars into the flower bed. Luckily I had about 4 other witnesses who saw what happened because the guy was irate enough to call the police. I must say that the Oak Brook police could not have been more professional when they spoke to me and let me know I was never at fault. I must also say I have never seen a bicyclist more irritating in insisting that I was somehow wrong for him running a red light, and I've also never seen a police officer tell a bicyclist to F*CK OFF in such a loud voice or manner.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Then again, taking the lane can be just taking the middle third of the lane, which is usually enough to force a car to be mostly in the oncoming lane to pass.
Use motorcycle riding principles. If you take the right third of the lane then people crowd you to pass when you might need to swerve left (and still be in YOUR lane) to avoid a road hazard. If you take the middle third of the lane you are constantly riding in oil slicks dropped by cars. If you take the left third you are in a position that people naturally look as they find themselves in that position when driving a car in the USA, you still have room to move right if you need to avoid a road hazard, and you occupy enough of your lane to make people seeking to pass to move all the way into the passing lane.

The passing is the important part. I find that people who want to straddle the middle line while passing bicyclists usually will lower their standards of what is acceptable conditions for passing - i.e. expect the bike rider to move far right, and having oncoming traffic also move right so the two lanes are now crowded 3 wide (2 vehicles and a bike) with NO ONE in their proper lane position. It's just unsafe. Staying left while on a cycle makes people evaluate their passing conditions closer to make a safe pass, when there isn't oncoming traffic.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Staying left while on a cycle makes people evaluate their passing conditions closer to make a safe pass, when there isn't oncoming traffic.
But the degree to which a cyclist rides left is a balance between making drivers more cautious in their passing and just plain pissing them off, which is never good when it's 3000lbs of steel versus a body. And on some roads the difference in speed between cyclists and cars is such that anywhere but the far right is suicide. In my experience, my friends who ride further left are involved in collisions or close calls more often. Riding left makes most driver's more cautious, but it makes some even dumber. Overall, I would recommend "as far right as reasonable" to anyone who asked me the safest lane position to ride.

Use motorcycle riding principles. If you take the right third of the lane then people crowd you to pass when you might need to swerve left (and still be in YOUR lane) to avoid a road hazard. If you take the middle third of the lane you are constantly riding in oil slicks dropped by cars. If you take the left third you are in a position that people naturally look as they find themselves in that position when driving a car in the USA, you still have room to move right if you need to avoid a road hazard, and you occupy enough of your lane to make people seeking to pass to move all the way into the passing lane.
But haven't multiple people pointed out that in their state/province it's illegal to be riding a bicycle in the middle third or left third unless there are extenuating circumstances?

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
However, the "extenuating circumstances" parts of the relevant laws tend to specifically allow riding in such a situation when a car and bicycle cannot safely share a lane.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
But haven't multiple people pointed out that in their state/province it's illegal to be riding a bicycle in the middle third or left third unless there are extenuating circumstances?

Read the ohio law that was posted above:

ohio law said:
(C) This section does not require a person operating a bicycle to ride at the edge of the roadway when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so. Conditions that may require riding away from the edge of the roadway include when necessary to avoid fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, surface hazards, or if it otherwise is unsafe or impracticable to do so, including if the lane is too narrow for the bicycle and an overtaking vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
So if it's not safe for you to pass me while were both in the same lane, I can take the entire lane.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
So if it's not safe for you to pass me while were both in the same lane, I can take the entire lane.
Bingo. As many have said, the ability to get along on the road should be a first priority. The laws are written to protect safety and rights of all parties. If a cyclist or (group) needs a little extra room around a tight bend or crest, why bother being mad?

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
I used to bike a lot, and of course drive a lot too. My wife is a ninja bike commuter, no matter if it is ice and -10F out, she rides to work on her studded tire winter beast.

My wife has been hit three times, nothing super serious although one did require an ambulance ride to the ER. I think all three times were people pulling out in front of her from a driveway or store parking lot without seeing her, or somehow thinking she was supposed to stop. City riding has a lot of these types of accidents.

The last one was a distracted teen who blasted out of a drive and my wife broadsided him. She got up and chewed him out. He probably had some explaining to do about the big scratch in his parents SUV.

My observation is that cyclists are more at fault than drivers, generally (of course I'm in a college town where students, who are the stupidest of all, abound). Sometimes I think that 98% of cyclists completely ignore traffic rules. They rarely seem to stop for lights and signs. The club cyclists are pretty good, though, but groups of them can be road hogs.

One thing I've observed is that motorists seem to be a lot kinder to and give more leeway to a hot cycling chick than to me. That hardly seems fair, huh?

Not too long ago, a local guy on a ride was killed when a distracted motorist plowed into him from behind. He was my age with a few young kids. I kind of backed off on my riding since then, sometimes the risks seem too high.

VWDoggy

TDI
2012 golf
I used to bike a lot, and of course drive a lot too. My wife is a ninja bike commuter, no matter if it is ice and -10F out, she rides to work on her studded tire winter beast.

My wife has been hit three times, nothing super serious although one did require an ambulance ride to the ER. I think all three times were people pulling out in front of her from a driveway or store parking lot without seeing her, or somehow thinking she was supposed to stop. City riding has a lot of these types of accidents.

The last one was a distracted teen who blasted out of a drive and my wife broadsided him. She got up and chewed him out. He probably had some explaining to do about the big scratch in his parents SUV.

My observation is that cyclists are more at fault than drivers, generally (of course I'm in a college town where students, who are the stupidest of all, abound). Sometimes I think that 98% of cyclists completely ignore traffic rules. They rarely seem to stop for lights and signs. The club cyclists are pretty good, though, but groups of them can be road hogs.

One thing I've observed is that motorists seem to be a lot kinder to and give more leeway to a hot cycling chick than to me. That hardly seems fair, huh?

Not too long ago, a local guy on a ride was killed when a distracted motorist plowed into him from behind. He was my age with a few young kids. I kind of backed off on my riding since then, sometimes the risks seem too high.
First, I sympathize with your wife; I have been hit three times. All the cars fault. In the last case the Ohio State police had the brains to ticket the driver of the car.

I guess club cyclists tend to be road hogs because of the situations like this. Less likely not to be seen when there are 20 across the road. I had people in cars look right at me and make a right turn in front of me clipping my front wheel. How you cannot see a 240 LB guy in a neon yellow jersey is beyond me LOL ...

I had one idiot in an SUV pass me make a right turn and almost flip it over - they lost control trying to keep up-right and went into the on-coming lane almost hitting an on-coming car. Why? Because they are so impatient and think they have a god-given right to the roadway.

I can drive 50 miles in my car on any given day and see hundreds of cars doing "something illegal or wrong". Let's get real; most people speed, many drivers make lane changes without signals, they text and talk on the phone.

You get the idea.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Had a bycyclist this morning that thouvht stop signs disnt apply to him...

At a flour way stop, there were vehicles in the oncoming lane. The first car in the opposing lane went, then the car in front of the byciclist went. Then the nextw car in the opposing lane had a turn signal on to turn left( in front of us to our right) then the byciclist went like he had a green light but its a stop sign. He didnt want to stop because it would entail holding his bike up so he just cutoff the oncoming driver...

Ive lost respect for many biciclists although you can usually tell when a biciclist has disregard for the law...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
• Regarding the Idaho driver who was displeased that a cyclist could get off and walk a bike across the sidewalk: I see no problem with this. It's the only way for a cyclist to legally cross a crosswalk...Yes they are allowed to switch between pedestrian and cyclist. On some roads, the crosswalk is the safest way to cross. And cyclists do, afterall, need to begin and end their rides on foot, so maybe they are walking to their vehicle or destination.
I think that the riders aren't getting off the bike when they "become" pedestrians.

About the traffic situation that started this thread, since bicyclists are supposed to walk their bikes, why don't they put up a "maze" where they have to dismount? Maybe the physical location doesn't lend itself to it very well?

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
The club cyclists are pretty good, though, but groups of them can be road hogs.
The club groups are great because they can be seen, obey the laws, etc. but they do the road hog thing once in a while. When I'm behind a group that's taking up both lanes on a 4 lane road, that's aggravating. If I'm on my motorcycle I usually shoot a gap somewhere and that often rattles them enough to fall into one lane.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
If a cyclist, or pedestrian, does something stupid around me while driving, I chalk it up as a singular episode of stupidity, I DON'T automatically negatively judge all other cyclists and pedestrians as stupid also. Same with stupid drivers. That is why I get upset when I see posts about "bicyclists" disregarding traffic laws, as if they all do it. Some do, most don't, but I have experienced driver road rage epsiodes while cycling while doing nothing wrong, and I have to attribute it to a prior bad experience this driver had with a cyclist. Is that fair to me? Hell no! It happens way more in car/cyclist situations than in car/car situations, and I attribute it simply to power...the power of a car's mass vs. a bike, the power to easily escape in a car, the power to intimidate, the power to terrorize and then lock your doors to protect your self.

The title of this thread lumps all bicyclists together, there is a case in point.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I think that the riders aren't getting off the bike when they "become" pedestrians.
This. Too many people just don't want to slow down whether they're on a bike where stopping takes effort, or their in an SUV where they are always in a major hurry.

At a busy crossing on my bicycle, I will assume pedestrian status. I stop, wait for a bit of a clearing (because no one should be dumb enough to "assume" a driver is going to see you) or the "walk" signal, then begin to proceed across on the bike at slightly more than pedestrian speed. I do this to get the hell out of the way before some idiot decides to assume they should just go around stopped traffic (which happens all the time).

I'm actually a more forceful pedestrian because I'm more nimble on my feet (though I don't slow-walk across the street). I will attempt to make you stop if you have more than enough distance to safely do so. I will also stare at you to make sure you are looking at me. I will kick your car or punch your window if you turn in front of me. If you honk, I will flick you off, slow down, and ask "who has the right of way here, I didn't notice you were a bus or emergency vehicle." If you abstruct an intersection during rush hour or a sidewalk waiting to enter the road, I will walk in front of your car and stare at you.

But I am not an 4$$hole. I don't do this to piss you off. I do it to remind you that, once in a very great while, people exit their vehicles and actually use their feet for transportation.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I almost got cleaned out by a car passing me on the left to only to make an abrupt right hand trun with no signal directly infront of me.

Granted they were lost out of staters, but I scared the living crap out of them when I then passed them and stopped in front of them at a stop sign to explain what they did wrong. They were sorry and had no idea what they did. All I wanted to hear was they were sorry.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I did bike alot years ago I would ride in the Hotter than Hell every year and have had a few close calls.
I think some drivers don't know how to pass bicyclists so I do try to set a good example and show them how even if the bicyclists are not the best of riders.
The last thing I want to do is kill or hurt someone even if its not my fault.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I am an avid cyclist. When riding I tend to think all drivers are morons, and when driving all cyclists are morons ;)

The fact is I have seen plenty of cars blow through stop signs, treat yellow lights to mean "go like hell" for drivers approaching them and "time to go" for drivers at the cross-road's red (and I saw the results of two of them connecting at an intersection in downtown Montreal... not a pretty sight), and the latest craze, a cell-phone yapping/texting moron slowly drifting onto the shoulder where I am on my bike (we have paved shoulders here on most roads), tailgate, and do all sorts of crazy (and illegal) sh!t.

As a cyclist the two things I hate the most in drivers: using the cell phone (illegal), and driving too slowly, causing a big buildup of tailgating cars behind that tend not to see the cyclist and come by too closely.

And two years ago I got nailed by a car crossing a bike path into a driveway without signalling.

The bottom line: drivers AND cyclists are human, and will invariably fook up your day at some point in your life regardless of what you're driving/riding.