Real World MPG with DSG

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
There is no M6 SEL. The M6 is SE only, no sunroof. DSG starts at SE with sunroof and goes up from there to NAV with 18" wheels, and SEL with all its features.

Facts:
A Passat TDi SE M6 will cost less to buy, own, and maintain.
Manual transmissions account for less than 8% of US market

M6 Passat TDi may be higher than 8%, but I doubt it is more than 20% of them. SEL Premium is at least double M6 SE production.

Never read anyone complain about their M6 Passat TDi. Quite the opposite. But I never read about anyone complaining about their DSG, or SEL either. A thread of interest maybe.

The SEL Premium costs more to buy and maintain. How much more to buy is known (about $6500). How much to maintain can be estimated ($450 DSG service every 40k miles, vs. a clutch every 150k?) and say 5% lower fuel costs. But it has more features. The list of features are also well documented. Evaluate if the extra features are worth the extra costs to you.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Correct - SEL is NOT available with a manual transmission in the United States. I was skeptical of the DSG at first but I'm really glad we decided to go with it... it's a great transmission and the fuel economy is excellent, too.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
There is no M6 SEL. The M6 is SE only, no sunroof. DSG starts at SE with sunroof and goes up from there to NAV with 18" wheels, and SEL with all its features.

Facts:
A Passat TDi SE M6 will cost less to buy, own, and maintain.
Manual transmissions account for less than 8% of US market

M6 Passat TDi may be higher than 8%, but I doubt it is more than 20% of them. SEL Premium is at least double M6 SE production.

Never read anyone complain about their M6 Passat TDi. Quite the opposite. But I never read about anyone complaining about their DSG, or SEL either. A thread of interest maybe.

The SEL Premium costs more to buy and maintain. How much more to buy is known (about $6500). How much to maintain can be estimated ($450 DSG service every 40k miles, vs. a clutch every 150k?) and say 5% lower fuel costs. But it has more features. The list of features are also well documented. Evaluate if the extra features are worth the extra costs to you.
I was considering the Jetta TDI M6, but there is no comparison. Once I test drove the Passat, the Jetta seemed ... well ... just not really what I wanted to drive 2+ hours a day.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Correct - SEL is NOT available with a manual transmission in the United States. I was skeptical of the DSG at first but I'm really glad we decided to go with it... it's a great transmission and the fuel economy is excellent, too.
As someone spending $130+ week in gasoline, any fuel economy in the 40s is welcome. Currently filling up 2Xs a week ... I've done the math. Not so concerned with whether it makes sense versus a gas model, the real question is does it make sense over what I am currently driving.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Agreed.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Some very preliminary numbers after driving mine for five days now, not yet halfway through the first tank. First four days were mostly short trip suburban driving with a 5 mile commute to work. Today was finished off with a 123 mile easy sailing highway trip from Gaithersburg, MD to Milford, DE:

Miles this tank: 283.6
MFI Tank mpg: 40.2
Today's 123 mile segment MFI mpg: 54.0

All driving done per DrivBiWire break-in suggestions. No cruise. Firm throttle. Occasional sport mode; even some tiptronic fun. 65 mph on the highway with periodic runs to 80 mph and coast back to 65ish.

Love, love, love this car.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Well second long trip done this summer and the fuel consumption has improved yet again.

It's gone up from 5.7 L/100km to 5.5L / 100km or 40.9 MPG to 42.7 MPG.

Man this car has long legs. Can't wait to drive from Atlantic Canada to Petawawa on one tank of fuel!

Regards

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
2013 passat se dsg, 1st tank mixed drivers & driving= 40.5 mpg. 2nd tank mixed driving one driver= 42.5. I can't belive I bought this car. I have not had ANY buyers remorse after buying this car

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I am about to buy a Passat and am trying to decide between a manual and auto. I was dead set on getting the manual having had mostly manuals in the past. I recently drove the DSG and was VERY impressed. Am I making a huge mistake by going with Automatic? What is the "ACTUAL" mpg with the DSG?
I was in a similar situation. I was looking at Jetta 6 speed manual (6M), but that is a different car. The Jetta is sportier and smaller. Once I drove the Passat, I realized that it is a MUCH larger vehicle and more luxurious. I could not imagine shifting gears all the time in that car. I went with the DSG.

Strangely, as well, the DSG seems more suited to the larger and heavier size of the Passat.

Good luck on either decision.

BTW, look at my fuel use. I did one day of highway driving, and then several days of in-city driving. I am blown away by the mpgs I am getting.

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I now have 29,098 miles on my car from December 23, 2011. I have used 710.54 gallons, giving me a real world MPG of 40.95. That is probably on the low side compared to everyone else but I travel at 80 mphs (or more) for at least half of my 100 mile commute every day. On the tank or two that I have drove like a reasonable human being I bounced upto 43 mpgs.

Scottie3000

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I thought I would chime in here. I've put about 4,500 miles on my 13 Passat SEL and have been pleasantly surprised to see just a hair over 43 mpg (43.04) overall as calculated by fillups, not the MFD. (The MFD was probably around 45-47; a little optimistic.) This was a lot of highway 70-85 mph with the AC on the entire time. Im pretty sure i could reach into the 50s with more moderate speed and less AC.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
Traveled across town and back tonight about 65 miles - all freeway except for the last 3 miles or so each way. MFI showed 52mpg for the trip. Truly astounding. I'm so happy with this car.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I thought I would chime in here. I've put about 4,500 miles on my 13 Passat SEL and have been pleasantly surprised to see just a hair over 43 mpg (43.04) overall as calculated by fillups, not the MFD. (The MFD was probably around 45-47; a little optimistic.) This was a lot of highway 70-85 mph with the AC on the entire time. Im pretty sure i could reach into the 50s with more moderate speed and less AC.
Yeah, I am finding the MFI (MFD?) to be off in a lot of respects. Sometimes it is showing 50+ mpg, but computed by Fuelly.com, I am getting right around 39-40 mpg.

Granted, I am new (under 1,000) miles and doing a lot of highway driving (about 103 miles/day).

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Drove the TDI SEL P off the Langhorne Dealership lot 8/28. Drove 500 turnpike/interstate miles home to Ohio at speeds that kept up with traffic. Used 5th gear some to vary engine RPMs and load as recommended. Two days later did interstate to Cincinnati and back. Fuelly shows 41+ MPG with over 800 miles on the clock (90% highway). Very satisfied with the MPG but more impressed with the roominess and the ride quality.

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
All in the way you drive um.

The funny thing is, my MKV GTI was pretty much spot on. Maybe off a tenth or two.
My MFD (Multi Function Display) in my 2012 Passat SEL is off anywhere from 1.8 to 3.0 mpg, to the optomistic. I drive very conservatively. 55-60 mph. I am getting a solid 50+ mpg currently. just over 9,000 miles on the clock. my 05, did not hit 45 mpg until 40000 + miles. The odometer seems to be off approximately 1 mile on 30(low) that brings my mileage up to what the computer is calculating, at about 53.3 or so. DSG, absolutely wonderful. Wish VWoA would sel the SEL with the 6M. I could get 55+. It is all in the way you drive these. I would imagine with out the particulate filter 60 mpg would not be out of the question. So what are we gaining by putting so much polution garbage on these things. Yeah, cleaaner, but the extra fuel burned makes that much less clean/green. And I would imagine with something other than the damned Hankook garbage on those nice wheels would boost the mileage again.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I finally took the car out for a long enough drive at speeds ya'll must drive regularly. :p 48.5mpg - just loving it, I might actually have to slow down and get this mileage more often.

Nahhhh. hahaha.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
I sped up a little on my last out of town trip, and set cruise at 70-75mph for most of the way.

44.5mpg. Pretty impressed.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I sped up a little on my last out of town trip, and set cruise at 70-75mph for most of the way.

44.5mpg. Pretty impressed.
use of cruise control is not recommended within first 5000 miles for proper break in. Thats about what I am getting, I did get 49.7 on one 175 mile trip though.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
use of cruise control is not recommended within first 5000 miles for proper break in. Thats about what I am getting, I did get 49.7 on one 175 mile trip though.
I've read that before....don't use it a lot though. Why is this the case I wonder? Why does it hurt to use it?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not recommended by whom? Certainly it's OK with VW. Getting the engine under load and using its full rev range is helpful after 500 or 1000 miles, but the non-use of cruise for 5000 is not necessary, IMHO.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have to admit that with all but the Golf, I've used cruise probably within the first 1000 miles on any new car I've owned, sometimes less than 500 miles. I've noticed no engines falling in the road behind me or that my mileage has suffered from terminally low numbers. Of course the new car purchase always seems to coincide with an already planned road trip. In at least one case it was because we didn't think that our current daily driver was capable of a 2000 miles round trip over Christmas. Once it was the thought, "If we have to spend 10 hours in this little %^*box, someone is either going to be dead or left on the side of the road."

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Not recommended by whom? Certainly it's OK with VW. Getting the engine under load and using its full rev range is helpful after 500 or 1000 miles, but the non-use of cruise for 5000 is not necessary, IMHO.
Drivbiwire 'break in' post. I dont use it much regularly anyways, been using sport mode to use more of the rev range. Makes sense cruise is fine if you get some revs in too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems that most people feel his advice no longer applies to these cars. I agree that running the car for extended periods at one engine speed for the first few thousand miles isn't good, but I am hard-pressed to find a place to drive where you don't have to periodically kick the car out of cruise for traffic or construction.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm finding the MFI-calculated consumption to be very optimistic. MFI 2 was 2.9 mpg high on my first tank and 2.1 mpg high on my second.

This can be adjusted in VCDS, correct? Gotta buy a cable and a PC (yuck).

Back to the topic at hand, per my Fuelly signature banner, I am right at 40.0 mpg after the first two tanks. Spirited break-in driving; 55/45% city/highway. A/C on most of the time. No CC. B2 + Power Service Gray.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I'm finding the MFI-calculated consumption to be very optimistic. MFI 2 was 2.9 mpg high on my first tank and 2.1 mpg high on my second.

Back to the topic at hand, per my Fuelly signature banner, I am right at 40.0 mpg after the first two tanks. Spirited break-in driving; 55/45% city/highway. A/C on most of the time. No CC. B2 + Power Service Gray.
I am getting about 44 mpg (calculated by MFI, but semi-supported by Fuelly.com) on my third tankful. I do 95% highway with speeds around 65-95 (I know ... but it's Texas and there are a LOT of miles to cover between Huntsville and Houston ... mostly open road).

I would probably get better mileage if I slowed down a tad and ran the AC less, but with temps 100+, even now in September, rolling without AC is just not an option.

I am thrilled with my mileage.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL

What is all of this VCD I hear everyone yapping about. Is it dangerous to the car's electronics?