2 amp current drain on cabin fuse #15, J519 Vehicle Electrical System Control Module

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
We have an issue with the 05.5 Jetta TDI starting on cold mornings. It always starts but it cranks very slowly (with a new battery) on 20F mornings. I am afraid it will strand my wife eventually - even if it sits unused for 2 days it barely starts in cold weather. I took my multimeter to the fuse boxes and found a 2 amp drain on fuse 15 inside the cabin (7.5A fuse). Using the bentley manual I referenced it to the vehicle electrical system control module (J519) which is apparently up underneath the dashboard.

A couple of questions - is 2 amps (19.9mV through 7.5A mini fuse) too much static current drain with the car turned off? Key not in the ignition. Vagcom shows nothing pertinent. If it's too much current drain, what on earth do I do now?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have to let the CAN bus go to sleep before you check for drains, and then you have to use the procedure outlined in TSB 27-07-11. Do a search, it has been posted many times.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
how am I supposed to lock the car and let it go to sleep for two hours (to let it sleep as outlined in the TSB) if I'm going to check for current drains in the side panel fuse box (ie: the one that requires the door to be open to check it)?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
how am I supposed to lock the car and let it go to sleep for two hours (to let it sleep as outlined in the TSB) if I'm going to check for current drains in the side panel fuse box (ie: the one that requires the door to be open to check it)?

You rig the latch in the door so the CCM thinks the door is shut. ;)

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
I flipped the lock mechanism up but the interior lights didn't go off. I guess I don't know how to do that.

the other thing is, the TSB says nominal sleep current is 40mV and the highest I recorded was 19.9mV. So basically, should I care?

Battery is new. Maybe I should test the alternator, but it's not as if I've been getting random flickering lights on the dash or any of that crap.