2012 Sportwagen washer pump problems

VoxT

TDI
2012 VW Sportwagen
Greetings, my washer pump works some days not other days, anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
A couple of questions for you:

1) What kind of fluid are you using?
2) Do you hear the pump when you are trying to use it? You will likely need to check that with the engine not running, since the pump is pretty quiet.

VoxT

TDI
2012 VW Sportwagen
No, I do not hear the pump trying to work. When it does work (rarely) I hear it just fine. Unsure of the fluid that was originally in there but I topped it up with normal pre-diluted winter washer fluid.

nick5

TDI
2014 VW Jetta
Similar problem

My windshield washer pump was not running at all on my 2014 that I bought about 2 weeks ago (only 25k miles on it)...I bought a new pump from Autozone and installed it in less than an hour, no more problems. You will need to drain the fluid first or put a bucket under the car.

VoxT

TDI
2012 VW Sportwagen
My windshield washer pump was not running at all on my 2014 that I bought about 2 weeks ago (only 25k miles on it)...I bought a new pump from Autozone and installed it in less than an hour, no more problems. You will need to drain the fluid first or put a bucket under the car.
Seems odd that mine works sometimes and not others, I suspect electrical issues.

Snowyroad

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
The washer pump stopped working on my 14 Jetta 5 weeks ago and the dealer still can’t find the problem. First thing they did was replace the pump motor. Nope. Then they re-flashed the body control module. Nothing. Pump has voltage but the 0V wire isn’t switching to make the circuit. Wiring harness? Maybe. But you’d think I’d be having more problems than just the washer pump if it was that. I’ve been driving a loaner for weeks now. I’ve owned many cars in my lifetime from brand new to 20 year old junkers. And guess what? Never had a washer squirter fail in any of them. I mean, I’m sure the washer still works in 99% of the cars in any given junk yard. Leave it to VW to make the windshield washer as complicated as the Space shuttle. It’s just plain crazy.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Mine did similar but it was the sensor. RainX (the newer stuff anyway) causes orange gunk to build up on the prongs. The whole thing just fails. Its an easy fix, right through the passenger side fog light opening. It cost me about $12 and 20 minuets. Do NOT use rainX or any other of the orange type stuff. Seems silly but there it is.