Need to do TB, where to buy parts kit? Who can lend tools? Want to help? (Cambridge)

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
Sorry, I kind of jumped in and started posting here without introducing myself: I'm Andrew, in Woodstock, with a 2000 2-dr Golf ALH. It's Jump.Wire's old car if anyone remembers his f/s post. The gasser handle is because that's what I use on Vortex and a couple other websites, and surprise I also have an '01 Jetta VR6 (currently needs some love, silly VWs...)

Anyway, odometer math says the current TB parts are at 65,xxx kms. I've got a bad valve lifter that has gone from "tic tic tic" on start-up until oil pressure gets to it, to a nasty "clack clack clack hey I'm failing soon!" kind of noise. Had the valve cover off in the fall, couldn't see any obvious wear or damage to lifters or cam lobes, but the noise is getting scary!

Also started to hear what sounds like a belt tensioner or accessory pulley starting to go... need to fix my EGR valve as it's leaking oil... got new motor mounts just have to install them... washer fluid is leaking? Needless to say I've got a bunch of stuff to fix so why not tear the car apart one weekend and fix as much as possible in one go!

Where do you folks like to get your TB kits, looking for the full deluxe option and replacing pretty much everything. Plus a full set of OE lifters and maybe some other goodies "while I'm in there" and have the top-end torn apart (pull the head & inspect? install head studs? new Franko6/Colt cam? are my valve guides leaking? BuzzKen exhaust? etc)

Been reading the DIY guides and not seeing anything I can't do on a TB job, I do have a HEX-COM VAG-COM set-up but just started using it (adjusted IQ the other night for slow-down shudder). Big problem is just the lack of TB-specific tools, and I've never done this before so it's all new to me! I know my general mkIV stuff from the VR but this is my first TDI.

Going to check with the Boss Men and see if they're ok with me doing all this at work at the shop in Cambridge - just a light-industrial shop with everything up to twin overhead 5-ton cranes in case things get really interesting! If that's a go I would tear-down on a Saturday and re-install on the Sunday, if anyone in the area wants to lend a hand on the Sunday I'd be happy to keep people fed and hydrated with BEvERages of your choice, within reason of course.

If you've read this far, thank you, I tend to type a lot :rolleyes:
Give me a shout or reply to the thread if you can help. I'm thinking not next weekend (Fam Day) but weekend after. This post is also my impetus to get off my butt and start collecting part numbers for maintenance items...

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
I just ordered a deluxe timing belt kit from Boraparts for $292. They have a deal for camshaft and lifters with the tbelt kit purchase for an additional $168. Its a febi cam- although i hear they arent as good as the stock ones. I looked into camshafts from the dealer at $600, which youre prob better off getting a colt cam for cheaper.

If you need a hand, i dont have any experience doing timing belts but plan on doing one soon for my jetta (i have a spare alh engine) along with a 5speed swap. I can lend a hand with wrenching etc

Other good timing belt kit sources are IDparts and Brian at Roseland technocal services

Hope this helps a bit.
Pat