Exhaust Gas Temp or Turbine Inlet Temp gauge

Mike Morriss

TDI
99 New Beetle, 91 Vanagon TDI conversion, 05 New Beetle, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi! I have installed a 1Z (similar to AHU) VW TDI into a 91 Vanagon. I will surely be driving it in the mountains and expect to be pulling a trailer some. I am concerned about the possiblity of damaging the turbo or engine by pushing it too hard. I have been told installing a Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge, sometimes called a Turbine Inlet Temp gauge (the inlet to the exhaust side, not the cool air side) will let one see when pushing the engine too hard and avoid it by backing off. I would appreciate oppinions on this.

Thanks!

Mike

Diesel Dude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, Dark Green
Mike, neat conversion. Should work well. Most Exhaust Gas Temperature guages usually have the probe installed within a couple of inches downstream of the turbo. Some people like to install them on the inlet side because they feel it is more accurate as the heat the turbo pulls from the exhaust stream is not reflected in the downstream reading. This is true, however there is always the possibility of the tip of a probe coming off and damaging the turbo. I think if you locate it downstream, drive it under various loads and conditions you will soon realize what temperatures are too high and require a reduction in load. (downshifting, reducing throttle) Hope this helps a little.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
[ QUOTE ]
Hi! I have installed a 1Z (similar to AHU) VW TDI into a 91 Vanagon. I will surely be driving it in the mountains and expect to be pulling a trailer some. I am concerned about the possiblity of damaging the turbo or engine by pushing it too hard. I have been told installing a Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge, sometimes called a Turbine Inlet Temp gauge (the inlet to the exhaust side, not the cool air side) will let one see when pushing the engine too hard and avoid it by backing off. I would appreciate oppinions on this.

Thanks!

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already done this on my B4 Passat, I installed it to read inlet temp.

Here are some Vanagon link's I found a while back.

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/tdi_specs_en.pdf
http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/

The first contains EGT specs, the other has Vanagon stuff.