I want a "hold and release" control for my regens

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
It sucks trying to provide 1st class livery with the regen smell going in the presence of the customers. :(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yours has an odor? Our Passat doesn't smell like much of anything when the regen is occurring... just has a hot odor.

-J

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
It sucks trying to provide 1st class livery with the regen smell going in the presence of the customers. :(
Try removing your DPF and the smell of diesel will burn their eyes and choke their last breath, talk about classy...:eek:

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I'm saying I'm spoiled by "clean diesel" and it's fun to have one unbeknownst to the general public. And yes, the smell has become more prominant inside the car since about 170k mi. :( I wish to milk the DPF as long as I can, but fear this may force an earlier R+R than I was hoping for. :eek:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I'm saying I'm spoiled by "clean diesel" and it's fun to have one unbeknownst to the general public. And yes, the smell has become more prominant inside the car since about 170k mi. :( I wish to milk the DPF as long as I can, but fear this may force an earlier R+R than I was hoping for. :eek:
You have 170k on the stock DPF or original DPF, EVER BEEN CLEANED? that's impressive if not, lot's of miles to not give the turbo a good choking, it might blow up if it backs up because of a full DPF...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have 170k on the stock DPF or original DPF, EVER BEEN CLEANED? that's impressive if not, lot's of miles to not give the turbo a good choking, it might blow up if it backs up because of a full DPF...
There is no need to "clean" it. Not until the calculated ash load gets above a certain set limit, which it is currently very far from. It get checked at every service.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
There is no need to "clean" it. Not until the calculated ash load gets above a certain set limit, which it is currently very far from. It get checked at every service.
I figured it would be full by now at 170k...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm sure it still smells better than the falling apart oil burning Crown Vics around here. ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I figured it would be full by now at 170k...
Nope. The DPFs generally have an ash load that is lock-step with mileage, so at 150k miles, you can expect around 15mL. There seems to be some confusion about what the actual MAXimum ash volume is, since Volkswagen has not been very forthcoming with that information. I've heard all kinds of figures, but given we've seen some with over some of these reported figures and still running alone nicely, we just don't know.

I check each and every DPF ash load on each and every CR car that comes through our shop. And I have yet to see one with a DTC set that says "DPF ash load full, replace DPF" like we see so often on the Cummins Rams.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Nope. The DPFs generally have an ash load that is lock-step with mileage, so at 150k miles, you can expect around 15mL. There seems to be some confusion about what the actual MAXimum ash volume is, since Volkswagen has not been very forthcoming with that information. I've heard all kinds of figures, but given we've seen some with over some of these reported figures and still running alone nicely, we just don't know.

I check each and every DPF ash load on each and every CR car that comes through our shop. And I have yet to see one with a DTC set that says "DPF ash load full, replace DPF" like we see so often on the Cummins Rams.
Great info to know, thanks...

Lady Warwick

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG
Just be glad you can keep going when regen happens. Our schoolbuses theres a parking regen...and you gotta be away from anything flamable. And it needs to complete, not good to stop the engine in the middle of it.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Ha, yeah, like the dealers even know about that.... :p
I changed a boatload of crap on a rental Passat, including turning off the DRLs. Let them stew on that one for a while. :D
Ha! Someone queue the Axel Foley theme music...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The song you're thinking of is AxleF. BTW thanks! Now its going to be stuck in my head all day.

Just had a customer bring in their SportWagon - 394,007 miles and DPF is still on the car. I would have to dig through repair history for a while, but it does not appear to have been replaced.

Jason

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
The song you're thinking of is AxleF. BTW thanks! Now its going to be stuck in my head all day.

Just had a customer bring in their SportWagon - 394,007 miles and DPF is still on the car. I would have to dig through repair history for a while, but it does not appear to have been replaced.

Jason

Get a load number too please!

The other night I was cranky and she started her "cycle" RIGHT as I pulled up to a pick-up....so I shut her down. :mad: The next one did not happen until a normal amount of driving had passed....so it seems to me doing that equalled regen squashed and skipped......:(

Also, I've seen regens go without the uptick in idle :confused:

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Because the guy behind you sitting inches from your tailpipe gets his front bumper cover melted and gets really pissed off. :p
Cheaper to get a bumper sticker "Warning: Emission controls may release EXTREMELY HOT exhaust gas at any time. Stay back a minimum of 6 feet in stop-and-go traffic to avoid melting your bumper."

On the other hand, a "regen on demand" button would be nice to have if someone crowds you - give them an expensive lesson.