How was your California SMOG test?

Sideoiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5-spd, Indigo Blue
My renewal notice came in the mail the other week (smog cert required) and is due 6/08/10....Lucky me...:rolleyes:

Fortunately, I found a place a place a couple miles from me called Sunrise Smog (3501 Sunrise Blvd, Rancho Cordova). The owner was very professional, thorough, and his price was hard to beat (Thanks, Rancho Cordova Pennysaver).

The smog shop owner explained to me the unique circumstances surrounding the smogging of a diesel car that other smog stations in my area had no clue about.

Also, this smog shop owner has a sarcastic sense of humor, which I appreciate since it's coming from a good person with friendly intentions.

This guy is honest and knows his stuff.

I recommend anyone with a diesel car (thanks a lot, California...lol) or gasser in my area that needs a smog check to go visit Sunrise Smog.

I think you'll be pleased.

oddjob

TDI
2001 Golf
Bought my first TDI (not first diesel though) a couple of months ago and was a little dismayed to find out I had to get it smogged for the title transfer. Went to "The Smog Shop" in San Francisco and had no problems with it passing. The guy at the counter was a little confused about smogging a diesel but the tech knew what the deal was. It's stock so far so and has been running well so no excess smoke or anything.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Passed smog, with a VNT 2056 and race 520 injectors..

EGR present but not function, valve was bad when I bought the car car has a magnaflow cat converter shell that a friend of mine had, I did try to get an actual diesel cat converter but California made a law that made it impossible to buy retail locally.

Also no EGR cooler, but the connection between the manifolds using the 96 passat flex pipe which had no egr cooler but had the same intake and exhaust manifolds.

To ensure no smoke I made it physically impossible to go over 50% throttle, which worked as an excellent boost control on the stock chips which were not capable of controlling the VNT. The car smokes very little as it is when I drive it daily through.

To anyone who is too worried about passing emissions I suggest look for a pass or don't pay place.

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 Jetta STOCK TDI and I love it. I just hit 160k on the ODO.

I have an annoying CEL light due to a defective GP harness which I have tried everything posted on these forums to get rid of, and nothing seems to work in removing the CEL for more than a few weeks.

If I clear the ODB codes before the Cali smog test, will this pass the inspection?

Else is there a way to cycle the car so the ODB check shows it hasn't been cleared?

I am being steam-rolled with a $500 estimate to replace this stupid GP harness which isn't even really needed in sunny Cali. Many mechanics are telling me the wiring is all wrapped up and would take hours to replace correctly; and they charge $100 per hour plus parts.. ***?

Thanks,
F.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
there is a way to reset readiness without driving, Even better I think I have seen a way to add resisters somewhere to keep the GP cell from ever coming back

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Flamaest, If you clear the codes, it will set the readiness monitors to "not ready" and you will fail. If you can go a few weeks without the CEL going off again, clear the codes about 2-3 days before the test. Drive around and this will set the monitors to "ready".

I've had a harness issue on and off for the last year or so. I've used DeOxit (about $13 ar Fry's Electronics) on the connectors and it goes away for about 6 months or so. If you want fix the issue, replace the harness - $60 at IDParts. An afternoon should take care of it.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=123_94&products_id=606

flamaest

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 03 GL
Hi 12MPGHWY, I tried splicing the GP harness cables and linking them, this worked for about 6 months. My cable-link may have come loose and I will try reconnecting this to solve the issue again.

--> "Got Bearings?" BTW: I found the large DeOxit D5 spray can at Guitar Center for $5 bucks.

I also saw the screenshots for replacing the GP harness. This seems like a cable spaghetti-nightmare IMHO, no wonder mechanics are charging $500 for this job.

Thanks guys,
F.

digging90650

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon TDI
my CEL comes on and goes off over and over. it was off so i decided to try getting my smog check. failed with P0128 and P0118 codes. ordered VAG and a new coolant temp sensor. hopefully i can go back and pass next time :-/

i_dont_golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf tdi gls
i'm about a week and a half away until i can get my smog license... i go to wyotech in west sacramento and am in the advanced diagnostics/smog class. the class is awesome, i have learned a TON about emissions control devices, OBD, and diagnosing problems with the components. i'm not sure what places are charging for a diesel smog test, but i've heard up to $80, which is ridiculous. so much less in involved in smogging a diesel than a gasser. and, brand new diesels have to be smogged. for gas cars, it's 6 model years old or older and it has to be smogged. my car will pass when its time to get it smogged and reg'd in july (component visual, opacity test & obd functional is all that is involved). i smogged it at school, haha. we have all current BAR updates and equipment, we can't do certified smogs though. i can do all the pre-tests you want though.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Say What

i_dont_golf said:
brand new diesels have to be smogged.
:)

Somehow I think you must have misunderstood what they were saying or trying to teach you. :eek:

Just bought a new 2010 Jetta JSW TDI in February, and IT DID NOT HAVE to be Smogged.

If I had bought it out-of-state . . Yes, I would have had to get in inspected.
But I bought it here, new from a dealer, and it was not smogged to the best of my knowledge.

Please clarify your original post. :p Thanks.

:D

D

i_dont_golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf tdi gls
as ndamico said in the 3rd post, registration/reg renewals before april 1st weren't subject to the smog test. the program started april first. after that, ALL diesels 1998 and newer that are under 14,000lbs GVWR are required to get a smog test.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Really

i_dont_golf said:
As ndamico said in the 3rd post, registration/reg renewals before April 1st weren't subject
to the smog test. The program started April first. After that, ALL diesels 1998 and
newer that are under 14,000lbs GVWR are required to get a smog test.

I don't know who or what ndamico is, but I do not think that the new car dealers are smogging
brand new diesels prior to being able to register them to the original customer here in California.
That is NOT done on the gassers, so are you trying to imply that is being done only on the
diesels now? Used yes; New no. Unless purchased out-of-state. I do know of two such new
2010 purchases that were done out-of-state that did require smog inspections by the DMV.

D

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So when I registered my car at AAA I found out that I didn't actually require a smog test, so I got it for nothing. I never recieved the renewel notice because I had moved and the post office failed to foreward it, and the AAA clerk was able to tell me clearly that even though she could see that I did get a smog check that I could have registered without it.

My registration ws due mide June and my car is a 98.

So yea after april 1 and smog still not required.

drywdragon

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Just got my 2004 Jetta TDI smog check done. All they do is check that the correct emissions components (no banned aftermarket mufflers etc.) are installed on your vehicle then plug your car into the computer and make sure your electronic controls are working properly - THEY DON'T TEST THE ACTUAL EMISSIONS! They still charged me full price though for doing half the work. Thanks CA for making me pay and not even checking on how much is coming out the tail pipe.

pz94115

TDI
two 2004 Jetta TDI's
Visual Only Smog Test

I had my 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan tested this week running B100. The VIN ending in an even number was due this year. The other 04 TDI Wagon with VIN ending in an odd number did not need a smog check a few weeks ago to renew the registration. I paid $40 in San Rafael and the test took about 10 minutes. They did not plug anything in to check the fault codes or put anything on or in the tail pipe to test the emissions. The car sat flat on the pavement {no rollers} at an idle while they checked with a flashlight for modifications {car is stock} for about 5 minutes. Finally they snap tested by revving up to about 2500 RPM a few times and checked the tail pipe for smoke.

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
Kind of weird, I have a 2009 and have not had to do a smog yet. Just renewed registration for 2011 and still no smog needed. VIN ends in a zero

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe You're Lucky

Kind of weird, I have a 2009 and have not had to do a smog yet.
Just renewed registration for 2011 and still no smog needed.
VIN ends in a zero

Perhaps some dumb clerk didn't know whether that zero was an odd or even number and therefore
did not know how to tell the computer which year, odd or even to order a smog inspection.

They have some real dummies working there.

I recently received a refusal for a enviromental plate for mine.

Seems they consider 'TDI NUT' to be offensive! :mad: Can you believe that? :eek:

D

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Also, If diesels are anything like their gasser counterparts when it comes to smog requirements, they should be exempt fromrequiring a smog for the first 4 years of the vehicles "life". So my 2009 should not need a smog until I go to register it for the 2013 year.

ebbnflow

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm put my 2003 TDI for sale a week ago. It is posted in the for sale / wanted section. Took is to get smogged yesterday because I have an interested california buyer. It has nozzles, gauges, a KERMA TDI tune and an egr delete kit. It passed with no questions asked. It took about 15 minutes and cost me $45. I hope this gives some other TDI'ers a little confidence that theirs will pass when the time comes. I was a little nervous, but I think the shops just want your money. A diesel smog is easy money for any smog shop. Those are my 2 cents.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
It has nozzles, gauges, a KERMA TDI tune and an egr delete kit. It passed with no questions asked. It took about 15 minutes and cost me $45.
ebbnflow - Care to share with us where you had your SMOG done?

How did your EGR delete kit get past the visual inspection?

I am generally not a proponent of eliminating emissions control parts for various reasons, but I have an EGR delete kit on my car only because my EGR cooler keeps coming lose from the manifold resulting in a cracked lower EGR pipe. I burned through 3 lower EGR pipes in a few months. I've tried replacing the bolts that bolt the EGR cooler to the IM, but they keep coming loose. I'm guessing there is something wrong w/ the threading on the IM. Never-the-less, I felt it easiest and cheapest to just install a DG EGR delete kit and be done w/ it till I have to get SMOG cert.

I received a registration renewal notification last month, but did not require any SMOG certification...so I'm cool till next year.

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Got my 03 dmax and my 03 tdi smogged last week..both passed w/o incident.. the vwmikel tuning didn't have a problem with the obd2 test. i did have a cat present on the tdi and they did look for it. dmax has no cat or EGR but it came that way :)

ebbnflow

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
ebbnflow - Care to share with us where you had your SMOG done?

How did your EGR delete kit get past the visual inspection?

I am generally not a proponent of eliminating emissions control parts for various reasons, but I have an EGR delete kit on my car only because my EGR cooler keeps coming lose from the manifold resulting in a cracked lower EGR pipe. I burned through 3 lower EGR pipes in a few months. I've tried replacing the bolts that bolt the EGR cooler to the IM, but they keep coming loose. I'm guessing there is something wrong w/ the threading on the IM. Never-the-less, I felt it easiest and cheapest to just install a DG EGR delete kit and be done w/ it till I have to get SMOG cert.

I received a registration renewal notification last month, but did not require any SMOG certification...so I'm cool till next year.
The EGR valve is still present on the car. I sold the car yesterday. It just has block off plates on it. So I believe it passed the visual test because of this or maybe they did not look for it. I'd rather not say where, but it was a shop in Chico.

ARO

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5 spd
My renewal notice came in the mail the other week (smog cert required) and is due 6/08/10....Lucky me...:rolleyes:
Fortunately, I found a place a place a couple miles from me called Sunrise Smog (3501 Sunrise Blvd, Rancho Cordova). The owner was very professional, thorough, and his price was hard to beat (Thanks, Rancho Cordova Pennysaver).
The smog shop owner explained to me the unique circumstances surrounding the smogging of a diesel car that other smog stations in my area had no clue about.
Also, this smog shop owner has a sarcastic sense of humor, which I appreciate since it's coming from a good person with friendly intentions.
This guy is honest and knows his stuff.
I recommend anyone with a diesel car (thanks a lot, California...lol) or gasser in my area that needs a smog check to go visit Sunrise Smog.
I think you'll be pleased.
. Thanks Sideoiler, I took my father's stock 2002 wagon to this shop. Passed. Vin # ending with 4. Nice guy, and knows his stuff. He showed me and explained what he's doing on his computer, and what he's looking for. Next year I'll have to do smog on my 2001 Tdi (vin # ending in 9). I'll have to install a muffler and go back to same place. I recomend him as well.

Volkstraktor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Lucky Me

My experience has to be the best so far. I just got my Renewal Notice
and it doesn't call for anything but the $$$. My county (Sonoma) isn't
required to get Bi-Annual Smog Tests, so I am not required to either.
Only if/when I transfer title... :D

Now about that chip after I get the chain done -

Turbo D

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Tornado red
I just got my 2000 Jetta smogged today. I passed with my PP520's and factory tune. I was surprised (not really) when he did the snap test twice and it blew out huge clouds of black smoke and stained the asphalt black under the tail pipes. He looked out the passenger window instead of out the back window. He said he would have failed my car because I had my Scangauge still hooked up, and he said it could alter the computer data. I will disconnect the Scangauge at home next time when I need a check. It was done in about 15 minutes, and the print out didn't say 1.9 engine, but the 2.0 AEG engine, maybe they don't have it as a pull down option yet? I had a coupon for Quality Tune so out the door was $49.95

SoCalTDIGirl

TDI
97 Passat TDI, 03 NB TDI
smog test

:( I am rolling my eyes over this new requirement.

I took mine to the local smog test only place with a coupon. They stated they tested diesels. The tech hooked up the scan, and checked the tailpipe exhaust. Then he tried to take the engine cover off without using a tool. I put a stop to that and he went and found his mirror.:)

I am thankful that my Passat wont need this. :rolleyes:

Shari

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
A couple weeks ago I got the paperwork in the mail that I need to Smog my '06 Jetta TDI for the first time.

Will report back here after I get it done...probably this weekend.

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
I got my smog renewal notice in the mail yesterday. My car is all stock except no muffler. I went to AA Smog shop @ 9199 Arrow Route, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730. Took about 10 minutes to do, in and out real quick. He pulled it in hooked up the computer, popped the hood took a look around. Then he closed the hood and was done, No snap test. My car has no smoke. Cost me $50. Then i went to AAA to get my tags but they said it was too soo to come back in 13 days because the earliest the computer will let me pay is 77 days before my tags expire.......... I guess ill just pay online.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
We recieved smog notification for the 2002 Wagon.
Wife took the DMV paperwork and mistakenly took the 2000 Golf to the smog shop.
She walked out with a smog reciept stating that the 2002 Wagon had passed.

How's that for a CA diesel smog inspection!!!
We got passing results and the correct vehicle wasn't even at the shop!
I guess they weren't going to turn away the $50 inspection fees.

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
/\/\/\ That's hilarious!

I took our '06 Jetta in yesterday to the quickie Quality Tune up place in our neighborhood.
They charge the lowest price I could find: $29.99 + 10 for paperwork.

The tech inspected the engine while it was running, and very briefly looked under the car. That was it. No snap test, on OBD.

You're all good, that will be $40 please.

What a joke.