VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Anybody else submit the required documents via mail instead of uploading, and get a response yet? I mailed the documents in two weeks ago, and still get a "Status:
Waiting on your mail"

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I uploaded my documents on Monday, got the offer email on Tuesday, made my choice, sent it back, and received a call today with an appointment of May 28. Not bad, eh?

............total fiction of course. I expect there are at least 60,000 applicants in front of me. Maybe I'll be done by the end of July...boy is that gonna piss off the dealers.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
I'm in the same boat, mailed papers 2 weeks ago still nada. If they don't hurry up I'm going to be over the 2000km allowed mileage

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
*** Mine has been submitted two weeks ago and still no response.

All my paper work go the Ok to move forward.

I call BS on VW.
The word on the street is next week will see significant numbers receiving their offer and booking appointments.

....you have to understand the three chipmunks in the Ricepoint office are spinning the wheel as fast as they can!.....I'm sure comments like this get me bumped to the back of the line.

On a more serious note, my dealer tells me there will be a large number of offers going out next week Canada wide. AND there will be better incentives offered for June settlements than have been available for May completions. He also mentioned I will receive 0% financing (promised to carry that forward regardless), and perhaps some discounts ($1K etc.) so we'll see how that works out.

How the actual deal will be handled, what I've been told: Go to the dealership and pick up your cheque, decide on your vehicle (if you're getting another car), sign over your cheque to the dealership and any balance owing is paid to you on the spot in the form of a cheque from the dealership. So, no trip to the bank. WOW, a cheque FROM a dealership, I might have to frame that one.

As painless as possible he tells me.....but what about the Ricepoint bruising I've already incurred:(:)

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Still no word for me, have been waiting just over a week now. When I made a mistake they got back in 3 or 4 days. The BS is the longer they take the more K's one puts on and the price of your car drops. The price should be say what we had mileage on them back when the scandal started back in 2015. The cost for them to fix convert our 09-14's over is some $12,500 bucks so they show be thankful and give us that amount plus the I believe they call it the top of $5,100 too.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
If the shysters don't give a really fair price, then I will change my mind and say I want it fixed and they can put 12,500 into fixing it, if we all do then see them pay out even bigger bucks the cheap shysters they are wright now. They not letting people carry over their warranties they had payed for or giving them a refund so I have heard. Buying back our cars is an easy out for them, because like I said if they had to fix them all would cost them even more then the buy out plus they would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to get them all fixed in time and I would bet they couldn't get them all fixed..
I think the minimum they should be giving everyone is $17,600 and up from there based on the cost to fix them plus the $5,100 top up added to the fix cost. The newer your car and the lesser amount of K's on it and the price goes up from there. The governments both in Canada and the US should have ordered it and had it in writing. In fact as it appears to most up here, we have a bunch of wimps running our country, pot smoking wimps at that!!
That would be letting them off way too easy.

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Unfortunately everyone is in this game for money, which is why I refer to it as a crooked business. Customers are NEVER first in mind. However, companies that focus on great, reasonably priced products and reliable service often succeed. I've said it before, VW designers (engineers, builders etc.) have their heart in the right place. It seems obvious to me certain VW executives had waaay to much luxury time on thier hands in order to dream up this disastrous scheme in the first place. Reminds me of the 1980s Long Island Railroad that went broke, and which uncovered the huge pile of dung sitting comfortably at the top: 55 Vice-Presidents.

VW (if not most car makers), mediation tool Ricepoint, and everyone in between milks the system for as much as they can get. And although they each print brochures saying otherwise, at the end of the day the CFO runs the show. And his/her strict mandate is to have more money at the end of every day, often regardless of the associated costs of goodwill, morale etc. such as what is unfolding here on this forum and many other places.

On the one hand it appears too late to cry over the terms of this deal, yet on the other it seems plausible the request for a fix could land a crippling blow to the entire process, and ring up vastly higher, longer term costs. That certainly isn't what the dealers want, so if they give me any pain I will suggest redirecting it to the source of all this misery.

I've always cringed at being 'handled' and I have that feeling again as I await my turn at the till. So which is the path of lesser evil.......?

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Too bad everyone couldn't have refused the buy back and the majority of us said fix them or die, as I believe then they would have given a lot more to us all both south and north of the border. Pay me now big buy out or a hell of lot more later, in fact would hurt them money wise and their stock would drop like when they were first cot cheating. They stuck it to us where the sun don't shine, so now our turn to them.

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Too bad everyone couldn't have refused the buy back and the majority of us said fix them or die, as I believe then they would have given a lot more to us all both south and north of the border. Pay me now big buy out or a hell of lot more later, in fact would hurt them money wise and their stock would drop like when they were first cot cheating. They stuck it to us where the sun don't shine, so now our turn to them.
Yet in reality there is no perfect solution....one must make the best of each situation and given present retraints the playing field is most certainly not level, so my advice to myself is 'suck it up buttercup.'

I can hear the boardroom conversation at the dawning of this corporate debacle, "I want the repayment system structured so VW doesn't lose any more goddam money, and that we get to make more cars in the process. And you're all (executive talent around the table) going to make sure we come out of this intact. Now get busy and figure out how we make this thing work to our advantage." A casual observer will note here the absence of concern for many loyal customers. At least from this end of the stick that's how things seem to have evolved.....hopefully there is some light at the end of this stupid tunnel.

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I received my offer today and it is $1,300 LESS than the online calculator in the settlement documents. This process is more than a farce. I'll wait for a response but VW will get the bird if this isn't fixed in my faour.

They're going to pony up the difference or I'm going to tell my dealer the new car deal is off and I'm walking away.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Bunch of money hungry morons. If you don't like the settlement, don't sell it to VW and life goes on. It's as simple as that. All this "they better do this and better do that", well they are going to do what they want and if you don't like it, don't sell it. After all, you are voluntarily selling your car back to VW. This isn't the Eastern Block in the 80's so no one if forcing you to do it.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Bunch of money hungry morons. If you don't like the settlement, don't sell it to VW and life goes on. It's as simple as that. All this "they better do this and better do that", well they are going to do what they want and if you don't like it, don't sell it. After all, you are voluntarily selling your car back to VW. This isn't the Eastern Block in the 80's so no one if forcing you to do it.
Agreed on almost all points. What they will do or what they won't do is the big mystery, a divide and conquer strategy. It's this part of the process which has me jumping on the fence to stay or leave the VW herd.

If VW was being honest with themselves and their customers they would offer greater incentive to the Buyback with Trade option. They are in the exclusive business of making and selling new cars, how can this not be their sweet spot?

I don't get why this option is being treated with apparent derision by not declaring a motivating incentive to trade up. Thus far I haven't heard of anyone getting the warm fuzzies from engaging this choice.

Call me dense, it just doesn't make any sense, at all.

ng3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI & Jetta TDI
Last week I get an e-mail stating "Proof of Purchase - VIN does not match". There was no VIN on my Offer To Purchase document.
For others in the same situation of VIN does not match, my dealer suggested to make a copy of the bill of sale, scan and type in the VIN number on the scan.
I did that and they accepted it.
My bill of sale didnt have the VIN as they didnt have the car on the lot.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Got my cheque from VW via Compushare today. Was fedexed!

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Got my cheque from VW via Compushare today. Was fedexed!
Interesting, what option did you choose? (you may have posted that bit of info earlier....but I'm worn out on all this and unwilling to re-read any more posts).

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Interesting, what option did you choose? (you may have posted that bit of info earlier....but I'm worn out on all this and unwilling to re-read any more posts).
The sorry money as my car was written off in Oct 2016

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
The sorry money as my car was written off in Oct 2016
I know, there seems no happy ending, but in reality at least something positive is being done.

I can't complain. Yes, the penalty payout could be better but on the other hand, I have a car with issues and I was probably going to keep it as selling isn't financially beneficial, so getting CBB value is a pretty decent turn of events for me.

In situations like this one has to look away at the right time. If you gaze too long you end up wanting the moon....and crying you never get it.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I'm getting $22,100 for a car I've driven almost six years. Paid with taxes, fees, and everything $38,000 in August 2011. That's $2650 per year in depreciation - can't complain.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
How long is it between the time you filed your information and when you heard from VW what you will be receiving.

Seeing I'm only back for about 4 weeks, I did mine about the first week of May.
If I remember at the time of filing it said I would be getting $ 7,000.00 in two installments.

I have NO intention of getting rid of the car !!!

jedispey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon 6MT TDI
How long is it between the time you filed your information and when you heard from VW what you will be receiving.
Seeing I'm only back for about 4 weeks, I did mine about the first week of May.
If I remember at the time of filing it said I would be getting $ 7,000.00 in two installments.
I have NO intention of getting rid of the car !!!
I signed up as soon as they fixed the postal code issue. It took about 4 weeks to get the whole process done to the point when I signed off on the agreement. That was 1 week ago and cheque should be in my hands in the next 10 days.
I too am keeping my 2015 Sportwagon...awesome car! I did briefly considered trading it in for 2017 Alltrack Sportwagon but it only came with DSG transmission...I wanted another 6 speed MT.
I had the first fix done and millage is roughly the same or perhaps maybe a little better. I haven't really seen much if any difference in torque but I have a 6 speed MT and may be different for cars with DSG.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
I signed up as soon as they fixed the postal code issue. It took about 4 weeks to get the whole process done to the point when I signed off on the agreement. That was 1 week ago and cheque should be in my hands in the next 10 days.
I too am keeping my 2015 Sportwagon...awesome car! I did briefly considered trading it in for 2017 Alltrack Sportwagon but it only came with DSG transmission...I wanted another 6 speed MT.
I had the first fix done and millage is roughly the same or perhaps maybe a little better. I haven't really seen much if any difference in torque but I have a 6 speed MT and may be different for cars with DSG.
Good info thanks, wife is keeping her sportwagen manual as well the best car we have ever had, good to know the fix hasn't messed it up. Thanks for sharing.

waynec

TDI
2011 Jetta highline
After spending hours on the phone today I have come to these conclusions, if your claim is done with all the green check marks and you have been waiting weeks for a response, then there is still a problem with your claim, you need to call in and find out said problem and try to rectify it, I submitted on April 29th all check marks green, phoned today to see whats the wait, come to find they think there is a lien on the car!(Note car has been payed of since June 17th 2016 and I have a letter from Volkswagen finance stating this.) when asked why I was not notified of this to rectify the problem they state they do no do that, they just keep sending your claim back to the last person to fix the problem, if you have been waiting call in and demand to know whats the problem, I personally email my documents from vw finiance to the person was dealing with and she then forwarded the info to the proper department, I have a offer letter waiting to be sent. You will not be notified of any problems with your claim after your doc are approved, hope this helps others get through this.

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
After spending hours on the phone today I have come to these conclusions, if your claim is done with all the green check marks and you have been waiting weeks for a response, then there is still a problem with your claim, you need to call in and find out said problem and try to rectify it, I submitted on April 29th all check marks green, phoned today to see whats the wait, come to find they think there is a lien on the car!(Note car has been payed of since June 17th 2016 and I have a letter from Volkswagen finance stating this.) when asked why I was not notified of this to rectify the problem they state they do no do that, they just keep sending your claim back to the last person to fix the problem, if you have been waiting call in and demand to know whats the problem, I personally email my documents from vw finiance to the person was dealing with and she then forwarded the info to the proper department, I have a offer letter waiting to be sent. You will not be notified of any problems with your claim after your doc are approved, hope this helps others get through this.
Thank You. calling right now

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just received an email today with an eight page letter attached. Says I'm entitled to $ 3,500.00 in two payments. I'm keeping the Passat!
On page eight, where I have to sign it, it also requires a "witness"?
That can be anybody I assume? Doesn't have to be a legal beagle.
When all that's done I'll scan it and send it to them via the VW Portal site.
Seems faster than snail mail.

jedispey

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon 6MT TDI
On page eight, where I have to sign it, it also requires a "witness"?
That can be anybody I assume? Doesn't have to be a legal beagle.
When all that's done I'll scan it and send it to them via the VW Portal site.
Seems faster than snail mail.
Yes, I just had a coworker sign as the witness and sent it in electronically via VW portal ... got a response back within 4 hours that everything was done!

Waiting for my cheque...hopefully this week!