Odd no-start issue

SevynDazeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
And yes, I've read through the no-start thread. Battery is fine and as far as I can tell, all the wiring looks good going to the starter. Doesn't appear to be a failing key switch or clutch switch. Basically I let the car on and when I go to turn it over, nothing happens. It started out like it would take a second or two of holding they key in the start position before it would crank, and once it did it would crank normally and fire right up. Now it won't crank at all, UNLESS I can some how jostle the car (like letting off the brake on a slight incline then braking once it starts to roll) while holding the ignition to the start position. This seems to work every time. Note the car is out of gear when I do this so I am not attempting to bump start it.

Any thoughts or ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix it? It's a real head scratcher for me and you guys have really come through before when I've had odd issues, hoping you gurus can help me out again. Thanks!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Proper diagnosis.

If you turn the key to "start", either there is voltage getting to the starter solenoid or not.

First thing is to check there with a test lamp - are you getting voltage to the solenoid when the key is in start. If yes, you have a bad starter/solenoid. If no, the fault is somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter - could be the switch, wiring, clutch or neutral start switch, wiring etc.

SevynDazeTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Ok, I will check that when I get home. I realize this is a dumb question but where do I attach the wire at the solenoid?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ok, I will check that when I get home. I realize this is a dumb question but where do I attach the wire at the solenoid?
There are two wires going to the starter - a small one and a big honking one.

The big one should have 12v constantly, and should also have a good clean connection to the starter solenoid.

The small one is the signal wire from the starter switch, it's this small one that you need to check for voltage when the key is in the start position. You woudl need to attach the clamp from the test lamp to ground or the negative battery terminal, and probe the connector / conductor when someone turns the key to on. If there is voltage there, the test lamp should light.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Superb explanation, Windex. And if you then have 12v at the solenoid when the key is held in start but there is no joy from the starter, you have either a bad solenoid or a bad starter. Usually they come together as a unit, so a rebuilt starter should do it at that point.

Good luck,

PH