Ahu engine components

g2thewold@gmail.com

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l ahu tdi
Hello I am completely new and very inexperienced. I have been able to make necessary repairs and get my turbo working again thanks to all of your forums. In the process I found a part completely broken off from the lower flange that goes into the engine. I do not know how to post the picture I took so maybe I can explain it. It s the rubber hose coming off of the cold air intake goes into a round part on top of the valve cover then it is a plastic tube that goes into the lower part of the engine that has a built in flange. Next to the water pump. I just need a name for the parts/system so I can order the right replacement. Any help as always greatly appreciated

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
If you have in fact an AHU (and I'm not saying you don't. It's just that in your signature it says you have a '99 Jetta which should have an ALH) I think you're referring to the crank case hose for the CCV system. IDparts.com has this part for around $25. They call it the "CCV breather tube". Check it out and see if it looks like your part. They also have the round part and the hose going to the intake. Hope this helps!

g2thewold@gmail.com

TDI
1998 Jetta 1.9l ahu tdi
Thank you very much. I did in fact originally sign up with the 1999. And later found out it was a 98 with the ahu. I will change that to prevent further confusion.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
On the bottom of the breather tube, there should be a rubber o-ring to seal it to the block. Also make sure your block surface is clean where it the tube flange bolts up so you don't get an oil leak. My old '98 Jetta had an oil leak there because my tube was cracked and my rubber o-ring had turned to plastic with age. I hate leaks!

By the way, welcome to the club. She will make a mechanic out of you. I've had 1 mk3 and 2 mk4's now, and they've forced me to learn a lot. There are almost no knowledgeable VW mechanics where I live. Lots of great info on this site, also, as I'm sure you know, a VCDS and a Bentley manual are a huge help. These are awesome cars, but age catches up with everything.

Last edited: