www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 10th, 2017, 18:14   #1
k98shooter

Default Please Help, Oil Everywhere

My wife calls me 100 miles away that low oil warning light came on the dash. I did oil change three days ago and my first thought was I didn't tighten the plug well enough. Got there, opened the hood and whole engine bay is wet with oil. The engine cover, oil collected on the lid of fuel filter reservoir, intercooler wet. I checked oil filter lid the seal is in correct place and it was screwed in tight. I doubt it has anything to do with the oil plug, I could feel it is finger tight but I couldn't get under the car to get wrench there. Any suggestion much appreciated...

Last edited by k98shooter; September 10th, 2017 at 18:18.
k98shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 18:29   #2
travis45
Veteran Member

Picture? The oil cap was in place?
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar. SOLD -96 Passat TDI 16" wheels, Custom grease kit, Evry Mod, Mufflerectomy, Bilstein TC's, TT lower rear control arm bushings.
travis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 18:46   #3
k98shooter

Oil cap was in place. I didnt take pictures, left the car there and heading home, thinking what to do tomorrow... I am wondering if it could be oil line going to or from turbo.
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:00   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Sometimes people will install the o-ring on the filter cap incorrectly and can have a pretty massive oil leak. What they do is get the o-ring up past the o-ring groove on the cap. If you had to reef on the cap to get it to seat, the o-ring is above the groove.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:08   #5
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

Turbo oil line is a good guess, look at the dipstick tube also. But yours seems too new to have that problem yet. did you check to see how low the oil actually is ? even just a quart of oil spread over the top of engine and dripping will look like gallons.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:46   #6
k98shooter

Well, hopefully I find soon. Towing estimate to my place from where the car broke down was approx. $400.So I opted to have it towed to an independent shop, which was 20 miles from where I left the car. According to the website, they specialize in Audi/VW, (JA Autowerks in Shrewsbury, NJ). Will update on diagnosis..
Old September 11th, 2017, 14:41   #7
samarai

John who owns JA Autowerks is excellent. I only used him when I had my Golf TDI, never saw the dealer. Good luck.
samarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 16:22   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

My money is on a mis-seated oil filter canister o-ring as well. It would spray oil as described, and fits with the recent oil change.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 16:42   #9
hughesjasonk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?? Drive it like you stole it ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
My money is on a mis-seated oil filter canister o-ring as well. It would spray oil as described, and fits with the recent oil change.
This ^^^^^

AAA FTW

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hughesjasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 18:42   #10
k98shooter

Indeed it turned out to be a leak from oil filter canister, due to incorrectly installed O ring - per John the owner. I feel embarrassed - same thing happened when I did DSG oil change fisrt time - the canister O ring against flange instead of its designated groove and I had massive DSG leak. But this was 8th oil change, and I should have known better. I am happy at the same time that it seems major damage was avoided. I am not sure how I am going to clean the mess in the engine bay, though. Thank you all for the inputs!!
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:17   #11
calimustang
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

Whew glad nothing's serious.
2011 JSW TDI, 259,600 miles as of 9/6/2017 - had original HPFP to 240k. White with cornsilk beige interior, still on original turbo, DSG, 16" Steelies Wheels, solid metal roof. Mods: CP3, 5% tints all around. P3 gauge, Stage 2 Malone tune and DPF/EGR delete
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote