Am I getting hosed? (Timing Belt Job Quote)

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Hey all .. The local stealership final got back to my email regarding a request for the price qoute on a timing belt change. Here is what they shot back : ( Please keep in mind this is Canadian dollars, so in the end its like 10$ American
)

"reg. timing belt & long life belt - $106.10
note, long life belt will NOT fit all tdi engines
tentioner - $131.80
cam seal - $7.70
serp. belt - $36.00
water pump - $160.95
note, it is suggested to replace pump at this time.
labour for timing belt - $480.00"

Grand total is $920.00 CDN

Does this sound right?. I am concidering doing this myself when the time comes or if anyone knows an awsome mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area. Thanks for any advise you all throw my way, its always appreciated.

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
I think you got hosed.
I just had my timing belt done in Winnipeg for $641. I got a break on the labour for only $300 and the parts made up the rest. 2000 Jetta
I specifically asked for the long life belt and tensioner. I was told that VW would only guarantee it out to 96 500 kilometers (same as the original) they wouldn't guarantee it out to the 128,000 kilometers for the long life or 2002 belt. I told them I didn't care I would still take the newer belt and tensioner.
I don't have my book or car here to give you the break down for the parts cost.
I did make them put my car on the 1551 box prior to any work. I 'm very particular because I love the way it's running. I run a Hermann Tuning Box and a 2.0 MAF. The mechanic had to start and stop my engine 4 times and make slight changes on the pump timing to duplicate the original setting.
He asked me where I got all the diesel info, I told him about Freds on the web, and he said we were all fanatics!
I'm saving up for my Vag Com , lap top and buying metric wrenches.

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
Drop frog,
What year car do you drive? How many Klicks? A water pump should/ or recommended be repaced after the second belt change not the first. My serpintine belt was in excelent condition so they didn't replace that. They said it would make it out to the next TB change, and that I'll be when the odometer passes 225,500 kilometers.

M

mickey

Drive to Chicago and have that other "Pete the Pilot" do it for you. You'll save a bundle.

-mickey

Khamelion

TDI
Mk3 1.9Tdi 97 Tornado Red
The garage is having you on mate, taking the pee. I've just had my Timing belt, tensioner, Small Pulley, new injectors, rocket cover gasket and all eight new lifters done for $950 canadian or £380 sterling including labour.

The timing belt parts alone including labour was only $500 canadian.

Find another garage or haggle.

Dave

wolfsburg

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Try hamilton mountain vw (believe it is a factory dealership) and also vw St Catharines. Their prices sound better and most St Cath vw mechanics have been there as long as i have been dealing with them....20 odd years. Also look for a cast iron water pump.. Just priced one for a 99.5 golf tdi... $90 plus tax cd $ (in Scarborough) out of stock at the moment 416.281.8600

David Bruckmann

Veteran Member
Toronto. 02 Golf, 84 Mercedes-Benz 300TD, 76 Citro
TDI
Golf 2002 Mojave Beige
Frank Bittner on Concession St in Hamilton has been doing VWs for decades. A few of my friends have taken cars there (VW and Audi) with excellent results. You could also go to Sigi and Gerry at the Bug Shop on Kenilworth, but I'd stick with Frank based on people's experiences with him. You may want to call him soon; I think he closes the shop for a few weeks in August.

If you want to stick with a dealer, Oakville VW is great. Hamilton VW has been iffy. Stay AWAY from Roseland in Burlington! I expect all dealers will give you the same price for the work, since they just get it from the same book anyway.

D.

TDI Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Try Techmax Auto Repair, 1011 Meyerside Dr in Mississauga (at Tomken) (905) 795-0419. They do work on a lot of European cars (Bimmers, Mercedes, Audis) and did my A3 TDI timing belt, tensioner and pump belt in 2000 for under $500.00 taxes included. Shampooed the engine when done and was clean like the day I bought it. Very clean shop, you could eat off the floor and they did a great job. While there you can visit the Amsoil Distribution centre which is a few blocks north and stock up on some product.

dicers

TDI
2005 Golf
This week, I had my timing belt et. al. changed out and here is what was done...

timing/serp/v-belt/tensioner ($220)
water pump replaced ($85)
oil and oil filter (Bosch)($35)
air filter (OEM) ($15)
fuel filter ($50)
Misc Items (nuts & bolts & fluids & gasket)($35)
Labour ($300)

Total: $740.00

He said my valve timing was lagging way too much and the computer setting was too far ahead... and that the cylinders could have been coming close to hitting the valves!
He checked for damage, but there wasn't any that he could see. Anyway, I notice the engine is a bit quieter and more responsive. I'm convinced now that when the last timing belt was changed, he didn't use a computer to check the timing! (I didn't discover TDIClub at that time.)

To sum up, I think that's a pretty resonable price, especially compared to the outrageous dealership quotes!

98 Jetta TDI, 180 000km - no modifications

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
you gettin hosed

as everyone has said.

Timing belt parts (everything you need to change except waterpump) should be between $150 and $180 USD (VWparts or Dieselgeek) Water pump's can be had in various flavors. From factory re-builds to aftermarket pumps.

Aftermarket pumps seem to range in price from $70 or so CDN to $100 USD.

What make model year mileage is this car?

-----

Dicers,

computer has nothing whatsoever to do with valves and pistons hitting. NOTHING you cant tell a damn thing what they are doing.

The only way to check see for damage is if they pulled the head and checked . . . is that on the repair bill?

Its possible that your first change was done poorly and the timing between the camshaft and hte crankshaft was off. . . . computer reading doesn't have anything to do with that though - only when the fuel is being put into the cylinders . . . .

tokolosh

TDI
Golf/Passat TDI
St.Kitts VW will hose you the same as Roseland but at least Roseland will give you a wash
Also, my personal experience with St.Kitts VW has been laughable both in service and sales.

tokolosh

edit: Forgot to add that there's a little shop in St.Kitts that's owned by a former German VW tech that is supposed to be pretty good. I believe his shop is on Ontario St. but I'd have to double check that. He did some nice work on my fiancee's '86 Wolfs Golf until it was put to rest by a gold New Yorker in '99.

[ August 02, 2002, 09:57: Message edited by: tokolosh ]

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
I just had York Volkswagen change the timing belt & tensioner last week on my '97 Passat. Total cost, including taxes, was about $550. Bramgate in Brampton wanted $760 or so for the same job. I didn't have them do the water pump so I don't know what that adds to the price.

Rick

Rapt

Veteran Member
You're being hosed as was said.

Belleville VW in Belleville ON does the TDI timing belt for $399 plus taxes (INCLUDING parts and labour).

$900 pls is just a major MAJOR ripoff.