www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 6th, 2010, 12:57   #61
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousDW View Post
I've got a newbie question. I'm curious if there is a way to get the vagcom cable (or VCDS as they call it now) outside of Ross-Tech, since I really dont have the money for the cable. I've got a 2011 Golf TDI, and was wondering if any of the ebay cables would work well? Also, has anyone bought and used the ebay vagcom cables successfully?
I've read that Alpha-bid is a legit seller on eBay for these cables, but am confused on which one to get that's compatible for my Golf.

Many future thanks for helping me out, since I'm new to all of this. Appreciate all the help =]
Ebay cables are hit & miss, but mostly miss. Plus, you don't get any technical support.

You might find someone selling a used cable in the classifieds here or on VWVortex.

The authentic cables, while pricey, are well worth the price. Use your income tax refund if possible.

If you're in a pinch and need help, or just want to check some things out, post in the forum appropriate to your location. Someone may offer to meet up with you and let you use theirs.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 14:02   #62
BenVC

Noob post: Is there any way to turn the screen of the computer completely off, and still have the radio on? Like, I want to stream music via bluetooth, but have the screen off. I like a dark cabin at night. I can't find any setting for this, and no mention of it in the FAQs I've read.
BenVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 18:47   #63
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

You can turn the light down hit the setup button on the radio then press display
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:57   #64
golfTDI1

Fuel Economy: 34-40 city, 45-52 highway

you can dim the display on the head unit like mentioned above, and you can dim the dash (which also dims the screen) with the wheel next to the headlight switch, but thats about it
golfTDI1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:38   #65
ihatespeed

found an adaptation for hill start assist under the abs module, it lists light normal and heavy with heavy talking higher rpm more clutch slip vs light lower rpm less clutch slip.. I can't really tell if it made a difference on my 11 jsw manual, anybody know if this is a dsg item and not for the manual? I'd really like to minimize/ remove the hill hold effect..
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:41   #66
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespeed View Post
found an adaptation for hill start assist under the abs module, it lists light normal and heavy with heavy talking higher rpm more clutch slip vs light lower rpm less clutch slip.. I can't really tell if it made a difference on my 11 jsw manual, anybody know if this is a dsg item and not for the manual? I'd really like to minimize/ remove the hill hold effect..
Do the manual transmission cars have the hill start assist?? I know the '09-up DSG TDIs do. It's kind of annoying in the DSG cars, but I would think it'd be a welcome feature in the 6MT cars. My BMW has it and it's a nice feature to have.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 18:52   #67
ihatespeed

I know for a fact the '11 jsw has it, it is not the idea but rather the execution that makes it sketchy, the issue I have with it is that it holds for nearly 2 seconds, which is an eternity when you are attempting to perform a perfectly executed entrance into heavy traffic from a steep side road.

If the hill hold lasted for about half a second it would be ideal, buying you just enough time to transition to the gas and pull away, instead I find myself waiting for a second before attempting to go, otherwise I just sit there burning the clutch waiting for the damn hill hold to turn off. this is compounded if you learned the heel toe gas brake maneuver on a non hill hold car.

The best solution I have come up with is to brake extremely lightly, the car is almost inching backwards, then I can pull away burning minimal clutch and brake.. I'd really like it if I could speed up the disengagement though. my reflexes are good enough that I don't need 2 seconds to do anything.
Old January 12th, 2011, 19:27   #68
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatespeed View Post
I know for a fact the '11 jsw has it, it is not the idea but rather the execution that makes it sketchy, the issue I have with it is that it holds for nearly 2 seconds, which is an eternity when you are attempting to perform a perfectly executed entrance into heavy traffic from a steep side road.

If the hill hold lasted for about half a second it would be ideal, buying you just enough time to transition to the gas and pull away, instead I find myself waiting for a second before attempting to go, otherwise I just sit there burning the clutch waiting for the damn hill hold to turn off. this is compounded if you learned the heel toe gas brake maneuver on a non hill hold car.

The best solution I have come up with is to brake extremely lightly, the car is almost inching backwards, then I can pull away burning minimal clutch and brake.. I'd really like it if I could speed up the disengagement though. my reflexes are good enough that I don't need 2 seconds to do anything.
Gotcha! Funny how so many things in life come down the execution!! I was under the impression that the release of the hill-hold is controlled by the clutch and/or accelerator pedal like it is in my car. I too would find it annoying if the car sat there with the brakes applied for about two seconds. One workaround might be to use the parking brake on inclines. You can take your foot off the brake pedal and use the parking brake to keep the car from rolling backwards. Then you just take off as normal, releasing the parking brake as you're engaging the clutch. Many people already use the parking brake on steep inclines to keep the car from rolling backwards as you transition from the brake pedal to the clutch pedal.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:22   #69
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
i think once you disable the seat belt chime, it changes the chime once you start the car. thats what i noticed in mine
I just had an option to disable mine, and the startup sound is the same. I liked the higher pitched tone in your video, but the option of no tones when the door is ajar is nice as well. Suggestions?
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 13:16   #70
lou95gts
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: See sig

I used VCDS to change my speedometer region from USA to Canada. (US car) I noticed afterwards that my speedometer and odometer were reading fast by about 5%. Confirmed this with 2 GPS units.
Changed it back to USA region and all is back to normal. Strange because the bit rate for both calibrations is "7". Don't know what difference is in calibration.
Anyways, maybe of interest for someone that has installed larger diameter tires than stock to compensate for the speedometer error.
lou95gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 18:39   #71
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou95gts View Post
I used VCDS to change my speedometer region from USA to Canada. (US car) I noticed afterwards that my speedometer and odometer were reading fast by about 5%. Confirmed this with 2 GPS units.
Changed it back to USA region and all is back to normal. Strange because the bit rate for both calibrations is "7". Don't know what difference is in calibration.
Anyways, maybe of interest for someone that has installed larger diameter tires than stock to compensate for the speedometer error.
After you changed the setting with VCDS, did you go into the MFD and look at the status of the "Winter Tires" setting? That can adjust the speedometer by +/- 5%.

When you say "bit rate" for calibration, are you talking about the soft coding string?
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 19:13   #72
lou95gts
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: See sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzcad90 View Post
After you changed the setting with VCDS, did you go into the MFD and look at the status of the "Winter Tires" setting? That can adjust the speedometer by +/- 5%.

When you say "bit rate" for calibration, are you talking about the soft coding string?
On either calibration I had the "snow tire" setting off. The bit rate or sample rate was set to "7" on either cal. Try it yourself. it does not change any other settings and its easy enough to change back.
lou95gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:41   #73
bruce846
Veteran Member

TDI(s): No TDI's

VCDS Bluetooth base volume setting 9W7, Jan 17, 2011
In # 77 Telephone click on Adaption scroll down to Base volume of speech output and click on it.
The existing db value was some weird numbers and letters (4.76837e-007)
In the box below this value with the db, I changed the value to 4.0, clicked do it and answered yes to the input for wsc, then click do it again. The new value defaulted to 3.9 db, didn’t argue with electronic gods and now I have a base volume for my 9w7 Bluetooth which doesn’t blow me out of the car when I am listening to the radio at a normal volume level.
Also turned on Bluetooth acknowledge signal which chimes when my phone connects/disconnects.

Last edited by bruce846; January 26th, 2011 at 11:32.
bruce846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 20:42   #74
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
i think once you disable the seat belt chime, it changes the chime once you start the car. thats what i noticed in mine
I disabled mine, but the start up chime is the same. I liked the way yours sounds better, and would love to learn how to change it.
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 22:30   #75
dpg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
I disabled mine, but the start up chime is the same. I liked the way yours sounds better, and would love to learn how to change it.

i would have to check it out and see how mine is set up. i don't remember it off hand

dpg is offline   Reply With Quote