Front License Plate Bracket

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Is there a recommended way to REMOVE this style of bracke? I am thinking just drilling out the rivet-looking things at the top that hold it on would do it, but I certainly wouldn't want to get too big a bit. Once gone, a couple of those black plastic trim covers you can find at Pep Boys would fill the holes and look not as clean as nothing at all, but a lot better than this! THanks.
Unlike what others said, don't push the inner pin ALL the way through. Just push it in enough to get the plastic rivet out. Then you can use the same plastic rivet as a cover for the holes. I did that on my old Touareg and it looked awesome. You'll just see 2 small, round plastic pieces that, depending on the color of your car, will be barely visible. If a cop gives you grief over the missing plate, just pop the rivets out, slap the bracket back and then remove it again when you get home. Easy, and free to do.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
If a cop gives you grief over the missing plate, just pop the rivets out, slap the bracket back and then remove it again when you get home. Easy, and free to do.
After paying the CPR $300 no-front-plate fine, of course. :mad:

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
After paying the CPR $300 no-front-plate fine, of course. :mad:
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been pulled over for going 30mpg over in UT and he did not car. Been in CA (with Utah plates), they also did not care. I even pointed to it while asking an LEO and he said "I'd not worry about it, unless we find drugs in your car or you're doing something illegal" :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been pulled over for going 30mpg over in UT and he did not car. Been in CA (with Utah plates), they also did not care. I even pointed to it while asking an LEO and he said "I'd not worry about it, unless we find drugs in your car or you're doing something illegal" :)
Of course not; the no-front-plate law only applies to local (CPR) registered vehicles; probably ditto for other 2 plate states. Otherwise, you'd see every AZ registered vehicle being stopped within a mile of the AZ/CPR border! :D

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
I bought a 2010 Golf TDI (certified used) recently to replace my 2000 Golf TDI. The older Golf was still doing fine, but a 10 year old car without major problems is bound to develop some..... but that is another story.
The "new" Golf came with no front license bracket, apparently not required in NV where the car was previously registered. I have been lurking this forum and decided I was lucky that the bracket was not installed on the bumper. I investigated two commercial options, the gominigo.com tow-hitch receptacle off-set mount, and the Skene Design bracket. IMHO, both were more money than I wanted to pay, so I set out to design and build my own.
The finished installation:

Materials used:
4 - 3/4" X 1/2" Inside corner brackets (comes in a package with screws [not used] from Ace Hardware $2.49)
4 - Self tapping scews with hex heads ($.40 x 4 = $1.60)
4 - Pan head phillips bolts to hold the license to brackets (4 x $.80 = $3.20)
4 - Nylon insert lock nuts for the pan head bolts (4 pack for $.61)
1 - 1/16" X 1/2" X 3' aluminum stock (flat) for $2.32
Detail photo of the finished brackets: (Note: this photo shows the upper brackets only, the lower is identical.)

Construction notes:
1 - The self tapping screws came with neoprene spacers. I had to add a second on both the top and bottom brackets to create the necessary bracket hole vertical spacing to align with the existing holes in the license plate.
2 - Because of these spacers, make sure you have sufficiently long self tapping screws to grip properly. The holes were drilled vertically up and down into the bumper surface which is plastic only. Use caution not to over-tighten and strip out the plastic.
3 - The aluminum strip may not be necessary. My first idea was to use brackets only at the top, and the aluminum would provide stiffness, but once I added brackets at the bottom, that requirement went away, but I used the strips anyway.
My installation is very sturdy and was done in a couple of hours for a fraction of the cost of the commercial solutions.
SpadGuy
You didn't provide an accounting for your time. :)

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
Factual but hardly germane - unless of course you can't recall what value you placed on your own time six years ago or have had a change of perspective. :)

Internet posts live in perpetuity.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Factual but hardly germane - unless of course you can't recall what value you placed on your own time six years ago or have had a change of perspective. :)

Internet posts live in perpetuity.
It all depends: Are you a wage slave or are you retired? If the first, is the job done as "work" or as "hobby"; if the latter then it would fall under "hobby". If done as "work" then labor time could be considered a factor; if done as "hobby" then labor time is not considered a factor.

BTW, it is not usual to resurrect old dead posts/threads as many times the OP is long gone and will never see your reply. You did notice that the referenced photo was no longer available?

As for "perpetuity", not all of them. The threads covering the Bay Area GTGs were removed at the request of the OP. If you can find them elsewhere, PARTICULARLY the one where I photographically detailed my hitch install, please send me the link.

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
Great reply.

In my world whether you're having at it as avocation or vocation (retired or employed, salaried or hourly), time still has a value. Perhaps it has less of a value but it is never worthless:)