www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 16th, 2017, 07:23   #91
atsffan

Default First impressions - post fix

Put on about 525 miles since having the fix done. One 200 mile road trip in So Cal traffic to San Diego and back to L.A., then just the usual commutes to work.

Only significant change I see so far is a MPG drop from my usual 43-45 down to 41 this time. I've got another road trip to Utah starting today, so that'll give me a better idea if that's the new normal or the car is just relearning my driving habits.

You can see my Fuelly stat in the signature. That's every fuel-up I've had since owning the car. It was 44.1 prior to the latest.
Old September 16th, 2017, 19:56   #92
calimustang
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

nice update..... interesting result. look forward to your Utah trip.
2011 JSW TDI, 259,600 miles as of 9/6/2017 - had original HPFP to 240k. White with cornsilk beige interior, still on original turbo, DSG, 16" Steelies Wheels, solid metal roof. Mods: CP3, 5% tints all around. P3 gauge, Stage 2 Malone tune and DPF/EGR delete
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 16:38   #93
FlyingVan

I had my 2011 JSW with 88k miles 'fixed' about 3 weeks ago. I only did it because of the $5600 incentive, otherwise I would have left it alone. I haven't had any issues with the car before, so I hope it will continue without issues for years to come.

Right off the bat I noticed that it holds onto a gear longer before up shifting. Even my wife noticed it and she is not 'into cars' at all. I am not too excited about it, so I end up shifting manually a lot more than before the fix. Fuel mileage seems to be a little lower going by the dashboard. Haven't done a proper fuel mileage check yet.

I also had the snow flap recall done at the same time. They estimated 4 to 5 hours for the whole recall, so I was surprised when they brought my car around after about 3 hours.

So far no issues noticed. Will post here if anything happens.
FlyingVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 17:57   #94
respond2us
Veteran Member

Maybe with $1k of that cash, you could do a Malone Stage 2 and a dsg tune. Bet that'd pep it right up.
Old September 18th, 2017, 20:23   #95
FlyingVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by respond2us View Post
Maybe with $1k of that cash, you could do a Malone Stage 2 and a dsg tune. Bet that'd pep it right up.
Good idea. I have to think about it a bit, but probably I will leave it alone at least until the extra warranty runs out.
FlyingVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:02   #96
calimustang
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW DSG

respond2us is spot on! I never look back after malone stage 2, makes me want to go for 3 or 3.5 with CR170 turbo. so addictive to drive my TDI.
2011 JSW TDI, 259,600 miles as of 9/6/2017 - had original HPFP to 240k. White with cornsilk beige interior, still on original turbo, DSG, 16" Steelies Wheels, solid metal roof. Mods: CP3, 5% tints all around. P3 gauge, Stage 2 Malone tune and DPF/EGR delete
calimustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 20:29   #97
Linkbad21

Default Welded on exhausts being from new parts from Volkwagen

Hi my 2010 VW jetta TDI has a welded exhaust rear of the car and I would like to see if anybody else had any problems trying to get the approved emissions fix. The second appointment the dealership found out that I had a welded exhaust but they're saying Volkswagen had welded their 2009 and 2010 exhausts but I want to see if that's true
Linkbad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:08   #98
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

2009 and some early 2010 models had an exhaust system which has the DPF in the same part as the NSC (NOX cat)

the photo below shows where the joint is placed on later cars, vs the early ones.

if you are qualified for the fix, and have the combined parts, they replace both sides and you end up with a new DPF in the deal.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:14   #99
Linkbad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post
2009 and some early 2010 models had an exhaust system which has the DPF in the same part as the NSC (NOX cat)

the photo below shows where the joint is placed on later cars, vs the early ones.

if you are qualified for the fix, and have the combined parts, they replace both sides and you end up with a new DPF in the deal.

Thank you for the Information. I have been told from the Volkswagen company itself to wait a Month or so till they figure out what to do on my Car. I just dont Understand why they welded the Exhaust parts on
Old September 20th, 2017, 22:13   #100
Linkbad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post

Heres my link for the Picture of the paperwork Volkswagen doing the Weld for my 2010 vw Jetta tdi https://ibb.co/chhudk the dealership found out about the weld on my 2nd appt and they don't want to touch it they're waiting for a okay from Volkswagen to see what they could do so Now i have to wait for a month and a half but i really really like my car so i dont want them to buy it back

Last edited by Linkbad21; September 20th, 2017 at 22:15. Reason: Making sure it makes sense
Old September 20th, 2017, 22:34   #101
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

They'll be able to fix it with the two piece dpf/NOx catalyst. They probably just don't have the parts in stock at the dealership.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 22:42   #102
Linkbad21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
They'll be able to fix it with the two piece dpf/NOx catalyst. They probably just don't have the parts in stock at the dealership.
Well they're saying they won't touch it at all because it's Welded on if that makes sense. They actually asked if I did the Welding myself but I showed them the paperwork that Volkswagen did it so I don't have to pay for the $4,000 to $6,000 for the new exhaust. I have to be on the two month waiting period to find out what Volkswagen the company itself going to do about my Car and some other ones that have it. It sounds like a bunch of Lies right?
Old September 20th, 2017, 22:45   #103
Linkbad21

Quote:
Well my Approved emission settlement saying that Volkswagen has to do the Fix but yeah idk haha my dad has the same car as me and I'm hoping his car doesn't have the same thing as mine because he bought the car early
Old September 20th, 2017, 23:18   #104
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Oh, I see- they hacked up and welded the factory dpf/nox cat. Funny they asked if you did it yourself. Since they did the Frankenstein hackjob, I don't see how they could worm out of doing the two piece replacement fix. Just be persistent- they should come around. Customer service doesn't come naturally to most vw dealers.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 23:24   #105
Linkbad21

Quote:
Oh, I see- they hacked up and welded the factory dpf/nox cat. Funny they asked if you did it yourself. Since they did the Frankenstein hackjob, I don't see how they could worm out of doing the two piece replacement fix. Just be persistent- they should come around. Customer service doesn't come naturally to most vw dealers.
Haha yeah i know right? Thank goodness i had paperwork to prove i didnt do it or other Car shops. I actually gave Volkswagen care a call and pretty much complained because I felt like I was getting the runaround becuz they weren't really explaining what's going on. I'll give them like about a month then I'll call in and see if they found the fix and I told my dealership to call me when they find out too .