www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old February 6th, 2017, 13:02   #421
mr-blah

TDI(s): JSW '14 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfc View Post
Many thanks to the contributors to this thread, with special thanks to Peyah and Unorganizedplan. Like others, I love the JSW except for the ground clearance so this thread has been informative and inspiring.

The really good info is now spread across literally hundreds of posts, so I'll try to summarize some key points here. PLEASE correct as needed!!

Peyah (post #253) installed the OEM springs (total ~ $450) plus Koni FSD (~$700?). This resulted in a lift of ~2" rear and 1.75" front. After the spring lift, one can install larger tires for an additional ~0.5" of additional lift.

Excellent post on MarkV Jetta with combinations of stock struts + different springs at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...DI-LOVE!/page3 post #57. Final setup:
Front: Stock JSW Struts + Tig 2WD Springs
Rear: Stock JSW Struts + Tig 4WD lift Springs

Others have said:
- the stock struts/shocks are very robust and typically last at least 150k
- a good and less expensive alternative to Peyah's springs is Tiguan 2WD front springs with SUPLEX rear towing springs ($269 for the spring set from IDParts)
- post #89 - Tiguan 2013 spring kit for $218 with ~3" lift

Potential issues include:
- enhanced wear of CV joints and boots (see #277, but this might be a one-off). #279 reports 25k w/o problems.
- difficulty meeting specs for alignment
- handling issues (steering, braking)

I didn't note any posts documenting these issues actually occurring other than Peyah's recent posts about alignment.

For torque specs and pictures: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=273002

Questions:
- For a car with less than 100k driven relatively "softly", will the strut mounts likely need to be replaced? I.e., are the mounts prone to failure? I haven't noted posts on this elsewhere so they seem pretty robust.

- Is there any functional difference between SUPLEX and OEM springs? I.e., is there a reason to spend more for OEM?

- Are the single-tightening (TTY) bolts supposed to be replaced with an alignment? I.e., might these be left slightly loose when installing the suspension parts and then tightened up at the shop doing the subsequent alignment?

I'll probably do a lift this spring. Most of my miles are me and my wife, usually with a couple hundred pounds of lightweight toys (bicycles, camping gear, kayaks, etc.), and maybe 20% of miles with a full load (4 folks, rocket box and/or racks full of stuff, we're often on dirt roads). We've repeatedly been stopped by lack of ground clearance.

Summary of preferred lift options:

Springs for all options:
Front: Tiguan 2WD springs (SUPLEX or OEM)
Rear: Towing springs for ~ 2" lift (SUPLEX or OEM). Tiguan 4WD rear for ~1.5" lift and slightly stiffer(?) ride.
Bolt kit

Cost not in issue; most robust:
Koni FSD (adjustable and potentially best for light and heavy loads)
Heavy duty mounts
(maybe Bilstein HDs? Perhaps a bit stiffer)
24 mm rear sway bar

Value:
Koni STR.T struts/shocks
Regular duty mounts

Economy:
Stock struts/shocks
Replace mounts if more than 100k miles

Does this seem about right? Recommendations? Comments? Seems like a good time to summarize the last couple years of experiences.

This needs to be stickied somewhere. The amount of back and forth and incorrect springs, struts, etc on this page makes it very hard to see clearly and this post is just SO clear.
mr-blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 14:50   #422
jesssssser

http://m.imgur.com/Q5Rdc0G

I did it! Tig springs up front, towing in the rear. It rides nice!
jesssssser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:35   #423
murphyslaw
Veteran Member

Has the stance of a subaru now.

I have been collecting parts to do a lift myself. Snow and ice roads, I tend to bottom out a lot and plow snow with the bumper valance.

2014 JSW Sunroof/Nav non-DSG
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 20:14   #424
jesssssser

That is why I did it. My slightly bigger snow tires will fit w/o rubbing now. The springs I picked up from idparts.com.

Funny you mention that about the sew-brew

http://imgur.com/0K2VipQ
Old April 12th, 2017, 19:27   #425
unorganizedplan
Veteran Member

I'm going to try and jump in here again . . .

I now have the triple pink 1K0411105DN springs up front; along with the towing 1K0511115CT springs in the rear. ALL other components are stock.

I did a poor job of getting all this done at the same time. If you look back in this thread, you can see I installed the rear tow springs in April 2015 (@ 90,500Km). Well, I FINALLY got around to doing the front springs 2 years later (@ 136,000Km). Needless to say, I now have a slight reverse rake situation. I think the rear springs have sagged a bit, in the two years and 45,500Km (28,300 miles) they have seen on the road.

I got the rear towing springs in right away, for the hauling capacity, before I even decided on front springs. Well, after I finally ordered them, then rounded up the appropriate tools, and prepared for the task, then other distractions happened. We had a daughter, then life got busy. Here I am two years later, finally able to complete the job.

I have a tough time measuring properly though. My garage floor is sloped 1" every 5 feet, and we live on a hill. I'll have to find a time and location to break away with a tape in-hand to measure properly. However, in eyeballing the car on level ground (looking at wheel well gaps), at BEST, they are even. So, any load in the rear, and I'll start to squat into a reverse rake.

I want to correct this. I know there are MK4 autotech apcers that have been suggested. Is anyone using them? If so, any issues with fitment on the MK6? Do you all think the rear springs have actually sagged in the timeframe above? If so, I could always re-order the rear tow springs and get them in right away, to match the life of the new front springs, and get the TT upper isolators while I'm at it. Otherwise, if you all think I'll just have the same situation with new rear tow springs, I can try to get my hands on the autotech spacers. However, they are hard to get here in Canada, without paying an arm and a leg for shipping . . .

(sorry this post was all over the place)
I have VCDS
unorganizedplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:07   #426
Omsok

Fuel Economy: 6.3l/100km
Red face Tiguan crossmatch for JSW

Figuring out the Tiguan spring on JSW formula is not an easy one.
In the ned I found a VW parts site that allowed me to cross reference parts that they sell for both JSW and Tiguan. I ordered two rear springs for my 2010 JSW.
1K0511115DG
The pan is not really to adjust the height, but to have a stronger spring in the rear since both rear springs broke, and this seems to be a common issue with these cars.
Given that I am a year and a half in to #dieselgate and VW is not too excited about actually buying my car, I had to start making repairs. sigh.
No pictures yet, but my logic was basically if it fits on a Tiguan and it fits on a JSW, colored dots be dammed.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/
The only weird thing is I had to go up to a 2012 Tiguan year to get a spring to show as in stock. I opted for the FWD only.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/a/Volk...N/9245610.html
Anyway there were a few that correlated and this one 1K0511115DG was the cheapest, so we will see how it works out.

When I tried calling a local VW dealer and ordering the part they balked. Said it was an ok part number and they could have it in 2 days, but would prefer I buy the $150 apiece JSW only number.

Last edited by Omsok; April 25th, 2017 at 04:59. Reason: added an "o"
Omsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:23   #427
jesssssser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omsok View Post
Figuring out the Tiguan spring on JSW formula is not an easy one.
In the ned I found a VW parts site that allowed me to cross reference parts that they sell for both JSW and Tiguan. I ordered two rear springs for my 2010 JSW.
1K0511115DG
The pan is not really to adjust the height, but to have a stronger spring in the rear since both rear springs broke, and this seems to be a common issue with these cars.
Given that I am a year and a half in to #dieselgate and VW is not too excited about actually buying my car, I had to start making repairs. sigh.
No pictures yet, but my logic was basically if it fits on a Tiguan and it fits on a JSW, colored dots be dammed.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/
The only weird thing is I had to go up to a 2012 Tiguan year to get a spring to show as in stock. I opted for the FWD only.
http://www.volkswagenparts.ca/a/Volk...N/9245610.html
Anyway there were a few that correlated and this one 1K0511115DG was the cheapest, so we will see how it works out.
When I tried calling a local VW dealer and ordering the part they balked. Said it was an ok part number and they could have it in 2 days, but would prefer I buy the $150 apiece JSW only number.

Just so we are crystal clear here... your rear springs have broken, and you' d like to get stronger (firmer) replacements? I would get a set of towing springs if I were in your shoes.

http://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-to...ct-p-5084.html (170+ shipping)

That would be a ton less than your 150 a pop from the dealer.
Old September 11th, 2017, 12:11   #428
craigldavis

TDI(s): 2009 JSW M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfc View Post
Summary of preferred lift options:

Springs for all options:
Front: Tiguan 2WD springs (SUPLEX or OEM)
Rear: Towing springs for ~ 2" lift (SUPLEX or OEM). Tiguan 4WD rear for ~1.5" lift and slightly stiffer(?) ride.
Bolt kit

Cost not in issue; most robust:
Koni FSD (adjustable and potentially best for light and heavy loads)
'09 TDI SportWagen

One possible add is Tire Sizes with the lift:

With my lift I can now run 215 60 16's with zero rubbing. Fills the newly created gap between the wheel and fender nicely.
NOTE: I did have to remove the front factory black plastic "mud flap" trim pieces to avoid slight rubbing on those.

To confirm my experience:

I have the IDParts springs listed above (originally installed with my stock OEM struts which were worn out at 200,000 miles but the budget didn't allow for me to get the Koni FSD's at that time).

It made the struts and shocks even more obvious they needed to be replaced (like sailing on rolling seas).

Finally put the Koni FSD Shocks and Struts (and replaced all of the TTY bolts and installed new strut bearings/mounts and shock mounts).

The ride is amazing, stiff, flat, comfortable, smooth.

Last edited by craigldavis; September 11th, 2017 at 12:40. Reason: Added note about removing front mud flaps
craigldavis is offline   Reply With Quote