www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old January 16th, 2017, 04:58   #2131
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

And since my last post.... another blown rear main seal.

I'll tell ya, these are becoming a weekly thing. This one is an easier one, a 2009 Eos w/ automatic. So it is FWD/DSG, the easiest of all the transmissions bolted to this junk engine to remove. Oh, and its water pump is leaking too. Has not even made it to 100k miles.
Old January 16th, 2017, 12:23   #2132
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
And since my last post.... another blown rear main seal.

I'll tell ya, these are becoming a weekly thing. This one is an easier one, a 2009 Eos w/ automatic. So it is FWD/DSG, the easiest of all the transmissions bolted to this junk engine to remove. Oh, and its water pump is leaking too. Has not even made it to 100k miles.
That 2nd generation TSI is a bear.

The 3rd generation ea888 (2015+) seems to have fixed most of the major issues that plagued previous years from what I've seen so far.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:56   #2133
oilhammer

How do you know this? Not trying to disagree, just curious if there have actually been changes that address this. I know the later engines' valve cover is different, so the pressure regulator breather thingy that always fails on the older design is different. But only time will tell if that has been an improvement, unless there is some specific training material on those newer versions that specifically makes mention of this I will remain a "hopeful skeptic" on that front.

Otherwise, it is hard to say "they fixed it!" when the newer engines are still, well, new. I mean, the POS CCTA engine and its derivatives didn't exactly start breaking right away in 2008 either. But now, in 2017, they are a VERY well known problem child, depleting the bank accounts of a frightful many of their owners. I mean, seriously, the 2008-2011 cars (Tiguan, CC, B6 Passat, GTI, GLI, Eos, Audi A4, Q5, etc.) that come through our shop are all plagued with the same problems. Volkswagen CERTAINLY knows about this, but....
Old January 17th, 2017, 06:25   #2134
nhdude
Veteran Member

Thanks, Oilhammer, for the heads-up on the Tsi engines. Had thought about on of these to replace my TDi but really do not need an expensive headache! If the TDi didn't have the HPFP issue and emissions equipment issues (had to replace cracked DPF at 82K) I would probably keep it. But, at 106K now, it will potentially become a money pit for which I am currently ill equipped to deal. Looking at Volvos, BMWs, and Japanese stuff now. Going to miss the JSW though!

Last edited by nhdude; January 17th, 2017 at 09:53.
nhdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 21:33   #2135
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
How do you know this? Not trying to disagree, just curious if there have actually been changes that address this. I know the later engines' valve cover is different, so the pressure regulator breather thingy that always fails on the older design is different. But only time will tell if that has been an improvement, unless there is some specific training material on those newer versions that specifically makes mention of this I will remain a "hopeful skeptic" on that front.
Otherwise, it is hard to say "they fixed it!" when the newer engines are still, well, new. I mean, the POS CCTA engine and its derivatives didn't exactly start breaking right away in 2008 either. But now, in 2017, they are a VERY well known problem child, depleting the bank accounts of a frightful many of their owners. I mean, seriously, the 2008-2011 cars (Tiguan, CC, B6 Passat, GTI, GLI, Eos, Audi A4, Q5, etc.) that come through our shop are all plagued with the same problems. Volkswagen CERTAINLY knows about this, but....
Here's a thread about the 3rd generation ea888:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886

The mk7 has been in production since 2012 in Europe. I haven't seen or heard of any major common issues (other than the early turbo and cam shaft failures)... At least not yet. I'm sure that time will tell how it shapes up.

Old January 19th, 2017, 08:38   #2136
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
Here's a thread about the 3rd generation ea888:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886
The mk7 has been in production since 2012 in Europe. I haven't seen or heard of any major common issues (other than the early turbo and cam shaft failures)... At least not yet. I'm sure that time will tell how it shapes up.
Here's another thread on the weak points of the mk7:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27257

Old January 19th, 2017, 08:40   #2137
oilhammer

Yeah, I like the A7s. Too bad no diesel after 2015, so I'll likely never own one.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 10:19   #2138
texsize

Fuel Economy: jetta 2013 42MPG, Passat 95 55MPG
Default My HPFP failure

2013 Jetta TDI
My HPFP self destructed on 09/27/16.
Odometer was 100398.

Driving on freeway in near bumper to bumper traffic (405 in L.A.) Glow Plug light and Check Engine light came on. Car went into limp mode and pulled to shoulder within 30 sec.
Car was re-started twice for less than 1 minute each time. Both times car ran ok.

I drive my Jetta with a Bluetooth device plugged into the ODB port and the Torque app running. Torque app gave me an error code and I no longer remember the exact code but I think it translated into low pressure on the CR. I knew what it meant and I got that sinking feeling.

I had car towed to the closest VW dealer and they confirmed my worst fear.

OF COURSE they claimed it was contaminated fuel. Contrary to popular belief I am not stupid and have never put Gas in my car. Plus I had driven 300 miles since the last fill up.

I make it a point to always fill up at Chevron but therein lays a story that could make their claim plausible. The last two fill ups were made at a Chevron station that is right around the corner from me. This station only recently started selling diesel fuel. Could a tanker truck driver mistakenly put gas in a newly installed diesel tank? Could the new diesel tank have had some contamination in it to begin with?

The good news in all of this is my insurance paid all but $500. I never tried to prove the dealership lied nor did I try to prove that the gas station was selling contaminated fuel.
If any of you out there want more detailed info … like the name of the dealership PM me.
Texsize.

Last edited by texsize; June 2nd, 2017 at 10:21. Reason: spacing
texsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 18:12   #2139
D-Cup

I've been skimming through these pages of thread and I didnt see any HPFP failures in cars over 120k miles.
I currently over 157k in my 2010 Jetta. Safe to say I got on of the good ones?
I've been thinking maybe it was a bad batch (or 2 or more) of raw materials going into HPFP?
I read through the thread of swapping out for CP3 and somwhere in between I saw that someone went to his second timing belt service at 240k miles on his original HPFP and swapped out for CP3 at that time (I assume since he was already under the hood).
Hoping for that type of luck, but keeping an eye out.
Has anyone had their HPFP fail beyond 150k?
D-Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2017, 04:48   #2140
oilhammer

The last two HPFP failures (of now the six total I have EVER seen) were both at 160k miles, both were 2014 Sportwagons, from the same medical courier fleet.
Old August 18th, 2017, 06:37   #2141
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsize View Post
2013 Jetta TDI
My HPFP self destructed on 09/27/16.
Odometer was 100398.

Driving on freeway in near bumper to bumper traffic (405 in L.A.) Glow Plug light and Check Engine light came on. Car went into limp mode and pulled to shoulder within 30 sec.
Car was re-started twice for less than 1 minute each time. Both times car ran ok.

I drive my Jetta with a Bluetooth device plugged into the ODB port and the Torque app running. Torque app gave me an error code and I no longer remember the exact code but I think it translated into low pressure on the CR. I knew what it meant and I got that sinking feeling.

I had car towed to the closest VW dealer and they confirmed my worst fear.

OF COURSE they claimed it was contaminated fuel. Contrary to popular belief I am not stupid and have never put Gas in my car. Plus I had driven 300 miles since the last fill up.

I make it a point to always fill up at Chevron but therein lays a story that could make their claim plausible. The last two fill ups were made at a Chevron station that is right around the corner from me. This station only recently started selling diesel fuel. Could a tanker truck driver mistakenly put gas in a newly installed diesel tank? Could the new diesel tank have had some contamination in it to begin with?

The good news in all of this is my insurance paid all but $500. I never tried to prove the dealership lied nor did I try to prove that the gas station was selling contaminated fuel.
If any of you out there want more detailed info like the name of the dealership PM me.
Texsize.
There was a service station in Ottawa that did the opposite: the tanker delivering diesel put it into the gasoline storage tank. Multiple customers had their cars stall, and the station had to reimburse them to have their tanks flushed and fuel systems serviced.

So yes that kind of mistake can and does happen. Glad your insurance picked up almost all of the tab.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote