one minute fine next minute I have no gear's!!!!

corymcarthur

TDI
95 VW golf turbo diesel
I have a 1995 vw golf td and I pulled into a store and it was running fine, i get out and I come back ot the car and it starts up fine just now i can play with the shifter and its not grabbing and gear's. (I should mention that before this happening I was having a hard time finding first but that has been on going for about 12 months. and 5th gear I had to pulll the shifter all the way right to get it in. im thinking its the linkage but if anyone else has anything that might help please share!!!???!

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Have someone move the shifter while you look under the hood. You going to find something broke and/or very loose.

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, 234K miles(SOLD)
Mine was the 13mm nut on the linkage on top of the tranny that had come loose. If there is a plastic part there be very carefull tighting it up because mine snapped. I think it was already cracked, but either way if it breaks you are sol until a new part arrives.
Btw, the position it is in when tightened determines the correct shift pattern. Most likely that is why you have been having trouble finding 1 & 5. The 13mm is in a slot that attaches the top shifter cable. Try different positions in the slot, tighten, drive the car & test the shift pattern until you find the correct one. 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch in that slot makes a huge difference in the pattern.
RD

Last edited:

corymcarthur

TDI
95 VW golf turbo diesel
thanks alot guys. I found the proboblem it looks like a easy fix only using a cotter pin it seem's to work find and there is no play. It looks like what ever was there just worked its way loose and finally gave away (kinda wierd that it happened in the parking lot) thanks anyway

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
A '96 Golf TD (not TDI) will have an 020 transmission, which features mechanical rod and lever linkage. TDIs all have cable-shift transmissions in North America. Completely different!

Glad you found the problem! Can't beat those cheap and easy fixes. :)

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
If you're still having shifter problems there is a bunch of bushings and a ball thing right next to the steering rack which all wear out. You can rebuild the entire linkage for about $30-40.