1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Impossible? Not with a Passat wagon.

If you look at the trip odometer reading, it doesn't look very impressive...but the MFA trip computer reading on the left tells the whole story.

1407 miles (2265 km.)
24.19 gal. (91.57 l.)
58.2 MPG

I took a 1000 mile business trip and thought I would try to better my previous records for mileage and cruise distance (49.5 MPG, 1206 miles). I upped tire pressure to 44 PSI, chose a route that I thought would be the flattest (turns out it wasn't the best choice), and slowed down a bit. The results, according to my MFA, were so encouraging that it made a perfect excuse to take another 300 mile trip (thinking that would be as far as the car could go...wrong!).

Since I had a useable 1/2 gallon left at the end, I think that once I install my Upsolute chip and larger diameter tires, and choose a flatter route, I should be able to go 1500 miles (though I'm in no hurry to do this any time soon).

The Passat wagons can't compete with the 5-speed A4s (nor some of the Passat sedans on the Forum) in terms of real world MPG, but their big tanks have certain advantages. I think I have really earned my "Fahrfrumpumpen" sticker!

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only way I could get the mileage up above 50 on this car was to slow down to below the speed limit. I think the wagons are somewhat less aerodynamic than the sedans (as well as slightly heavier)...speed really makes a difference in mileage on this car.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel Knott:
"Unleaded Fuel Only," huh?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's why

Last edited:

Dubbs

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,96,Blue
Chris , those numbers are great. I love the range on our sedan. All though I don't have quite the range that you have, it is still pretty good.
I love that MFA on your wagon. Hopefully if I find a wrecked GLX around here I might try the conversion.
Dan

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Chris, that's cool! Certainly worthy of a spot in the Guiness Book of World Records.

I don't think too many other cars can do that let alone half that range!!

Tom

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Bell:
I think the wagons are somewhat less aerodynamic than the sedans (as well as slightly heavier)...speed really makes a difference in mileage on this car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No question speed affects milage. I notice this with my Passat sedan- above 70, the fuel really goes down big time. Drive it more conservatively, 60-65, and I usually pick up 3-4 miles per gallon.

I'll post some real world Passat numbers on fuel economy from my 2000+ mile trip to Montana and back soon.

Nice MFA, BTW.

Andrew G.

Funny how you could be driving a Passat TDI - with a "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the dash...

Don't worry I "believe" you though...

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by Andrew G.:
Funny how you could be driving a Passat TDI - with a "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the dash...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah yes, but if you looked really closely, you'd also notice the glow plug indicator light in the right hand bank of LEDs and non-stock tachometer markings with a 4700 RPM redline (not visible in this picture). How can that be, you ask? The answer, as previously posted, is that this car has a hybrid instrument cluster (part GLX, part TDI). The details are in my article on doing a B4 MFA conversion (which has a better picture of the tach).

By the way, TDIBill, sorry to hear about your car.
If it isn't recovered, maybe that will just mean you are destined for an even nicer sedan or wagon that Leonard will find for you!

[ April 30, 2002, 19:48: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

Last edited:

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Chris: I've the same car types as you! Several questions please:

1. I've been afraid to run the tank too low, and so I've only been 1050 miles or so on about 25 US gallons. What trouble will I get into if I run it till it stumbles? I could keep a small can of diesel I have in the back. I've always been told, and tell my spouse & #1 daughter "don't run it dry!"

2. The pix indicates that you have a steering wheel cover installed. Whom did you get it from, and how pleased are you with it?

3. What larger diameter tires are you considering? Are you planning to keep the stock 14" rims? I've considered going to a 195/70 or 75 series tires, and wondered about wheel well clearance.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hamlings, I don't recommend running it till it stumbles. I did it once by accident, and shut it down immediately, but did have a container of diesel on hand to fill up the fuel filter before restarting. But at least I now know the "effective" tank capacity.

The steering wheel cover is by Wheelskins (widely available...I got mine from a local auto parts store), and I love it. The wheel is now just the right thickness and the feel of leather rather than plastic is sublime. Other than the MFA, its the most satisfying improvement I've made to the car.

I have 195/65-15s (about 7% larger OD than stock) on the '97 sedan without clearance problems.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
OK OK I'll bite. I just bought a '96 from Leonard, great car, and I thought they had an 18.5 gallon tank. what's with 25 gallons??
Sounds just right to me though

Rodg

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Both sedans and wagons are officially listed as having 18.5 gal. tank, but the wagons have a larger overflow tank than the sedans, so that when you fill up using the "vent trick", the sedans will hold about 20.5 gals and the wagons about 25 gals.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Hi Chris,
- At times like this I have to admit that my plate is in comparison to other cars, not some TDI's.
- I have almost gotten to 1200, but have lost patience.
- If you get those larger diameter tires you will have to switch to a "odometer" that doesn't use the tires like a GPS. You will acutally go farther, but the car's odometer won't tell you that.
- Are your sedan's 15" wheels alloy or steel?
- Nice job on the MPT!

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ben, I tried the larger tires (on aluminum wheels) and didn't like the result and went back to stock 14" wheels/tires. There actually wasn't a problem with inaccurate odometer/speedometer because I installed a little device that modifies the distance signal to the instrument cluster and renders the speedo/odo accurate regardless of tire size.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
because I installed a little device that modifies the distance signal to the instrument cluster and renders the speedo/odo accurate regardless of tire size.
WHAT IS IT!!!!!!??????????
um.. sorry.. ah-- an little device to the instrument cluster, hmm... you don't say... So, what kind of instrument is it?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
an little device to the instrument cluster, hmm... you don't say... So, what kind of instrument is it?
Its an adjustable pulse frequency adaptor that modifies the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) signal which drives the speedo/odo.

truav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI Silver Auto
Its an adjustable pulse frequency adaptor that modifies the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) signal which drives the speedo/odo.
ok, I'll bite... and where does one get an adjustable pulse frequency adapter?? Does not sound like something on the shelf at Wallyworld, or at the stealership for that matter.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
"..speed really makes a difference in mileage on this car. "

Speed makes a difference in mileage with every car; at least it has with every car we've ever owned. This difference is easily observed by tracking the mileage patterns of my wife and I. Our current "family car" is a 2001 SAAB 9-5 wagon. If I'm driving, it's usually about 10 over, 75 mph, and it's getting 27-28. If she's driving it's about or a bit under the limit, and it'll get 33-34. One time I was driving back from Ohio and was in heavy rain most of the way, and had to slow down- sure enough, my mileage jumped up to the high figure. It's been like that with most of the cars we've owned, possibly not as dramatic a difference, but there.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
My pleasure! You know what they say, give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime...

Denver_Diesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I'm skeptical. If you figure a vented tank is 16 gallons, that comes out to 87.5 miles per gallon. It is not an impossible figure I guess, but you would have to be driving the with a nice tailwind the whole way, probably downhill the whole way, and with the best summer diesel fuel out there. I just finished a long road trip and I was driving pretty conservatively, and had favorable to average weather. My best leg was 54 mpg. I suspect that your universal speedometer signal interface is not calibrated correctly. After all, as far as I can tell, this gadget takes in a pulse rate (the "speed signal") and spits out a different one that allows you to recalibrate for tire size or gearing changes. .....

correction...

just noticed it is a passat wagon with a BIG gas tank. I was thinking it was a jetta tdi. making more sense now....good job!

Buchu

[ QUOTE ]
Impossible? <P>1407 miles (2265 km.)<BR>24.19 gal. (91.57 l.)<BR>58.2 MPG<P>I took a 1000 mile business trip and thought I would try to better my previous records for mileage and cruise distance (49.5 MPG, 1206 miles). I upped tire pressure to 44 PSI, chose a route that I thought would be the flattest (turns out it wasn't the best choice), and slowed down a bit. The results, according to my MFA, were so encouraging that it made a perfect excuse to take another 300 mile trip (thinking that would be as far as the car could go...wrong!).<P>Since I had a useable 1/2 gallon left at the end, I think that once I install my Upsolute chip and larger diameter tires, and choose a flatter route, I should be able to go 1500 miles (though I'm in no hurry to do this any time soon).<P>The Passat wagons can't compete with the 5-speed A4s (nor some of the Passat sedans on the Forum) in terms of real world MPG, but their big tanks have certain advantages. I think I have really earned my "Fahrfrumpumpen" sticker!<p>[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah... with my Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD 115HP and not only by regular highway, I do: 1200km (50 lt of Diesel Fuel)!!!

And now, with new MJTD 1.9 140cv I think is more difficult for TDI!!

TDI is more noise than JTD, and just a little expensive.

Hi all