2015 Passat Heater Core

Tonkamog

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Passat
My new-to-me 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium is exhibiting all of the symptoms
of a plugged heater core (Driver's heat is good, passenger was bad, now cold). Any further diagnosis I should do before a good flush and attacking the core?

BTW, I noticed there is yet another version of the heater core now available: 561819031C. I don't know what the changes are between the B and this one, but I assume it can't be worse than the other two.

Let me know if there is anything different on the 2015 vs all the great threads on the 2013 and 2014 replacements.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Did you ever replace your heater core? My 2015 is blowing colder air on the RH side. The LH side is about 23 degrees celsius warmer. I don't think the warranty covers the 2015 models.

TDIPATRIOT

TDI
'14 Passat SEL
I had my heater core replaced during the recall/warrantee period 2 years ago. Seems it is clogged again. Same symptoms. Not covered this time. Dealership wants 1500$ for the job (and replacing rear facing bushings??). Thinking about it myself. Seems easy enough with the thread/pictures on a different thread.

Is anyone flushing their system with something like ThermoCure? Would it make sense to let the ThermoCure sit overnight and then flush?

Seems strange that another core has become plugged on a '14 Passat TDI. Thoughts appreciated!

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I thought the 2014 models were covered by the extended warranty? I went to the dealer and they said my 2015 wasn't covered. I ended up changing it myself. It's easy as far as changing a heater core goes, at least compared to most vehicles. The Germans always have really strange ways of doing things, they usually make a simple job difficult. If they used rubber hoses with hose clamps the job would have been a lot easier.

I didn't flush my system, I'll probably wait until summer to do that. I didn't want to get water in the cooling system and drive the car. Too cold here for that.

cryptologic

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I just bought a 2014 Passat TDI with 53k miles. Of course it was warm the day I bought it and didn't need heat. Temperature dropped into the mid-30's the next night. Wife said cold air blows out of the passenger side. Drivers side has some heat but not the best. Sounds like this heater core is bad. I've read on here and elsewhere this issue has an extended warranty to 10 years or 120k miles. Where can I find actual documentation on this to bring with me to the VW dealer to get it repaired?

jpg98

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
Crypto,
Your situation sounds just like mine. I bought a 2014 and it sits at the dealer as I type this waiting on parts for the heater core.
I went to vw.com/contact/ and initiated a chat. Give them your VIN and ask about any warranty extensions for your car.
I asked for the text of the heater core warranty and they emailed a document to me. Below is the text from the document:

<MONTH YEAR>

<CUSTOMER NAME>
<CUSTOMER ADDRESS>
<CUSTOMER CITY STATE ZIPCODE>
This notice applies to your vehicle: <VIN>
Subject: Warranty Extension for Heater Core
Certain 2013-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Passat with TDI Diesel (Engine Code CKRA)

Dear Volkswagen Owner:
As part of Volkswagen’s ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction, we are informing you of our
decision to extend the warranty for the heater core in your vehicle under specific conditions to 10 years
or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date.
The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the
original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator"
or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
What is the Problem?
An occupant may notice that the cabin heating output is insufficient on the passenger side.
What Will Volkswagen Do?
In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of Volkswagen vehicles, your dealer will diagnose
and replace the heater core, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time
and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter with your Warranty booklet and
deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual.
What Does This Warranty Extension Cover?
This warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the heater core in cases where there
is insufficient heating output on the passenger side of the vehicle. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this
warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
What is Not Covered Under This Warranty Extension?
This warranty extension will not cover damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as
damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect as well as repairs that are (1) necessary for
proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory specifications
are not covered by this warranty extension.
Lease Vehicles & Address Changes
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified in this warranty extension, please
forward this information immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of receipt of
this notification. If you have changed your address or sold the vehicle, please fill out the enclosed
prepaid owner reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.

Reimbursement of Expenses
If you have previously paid for replacement of a faulty heater core due to the issue described in this
letter, please refer to the enclosed form that explains how to request reimbursement.
If you should have any questions about this communication, please don’t hesitate to contact Customer
CARE, Monday through Friday from 8AM to 10PM EST and Saturday from 9AM to 5PM EST by phone
at 800-893-5298. You are also welcome to e-mail or chat through the “Contact Us” page
http://www.vw.com/contact/.
Please keep this letter with your Warranty booklet and deliver it to any new owner, along with the
owner’s manual.
Sincerely,
Volkswagen Customer Protection

Last edited:

cryptologic

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Thanks. I have that document. Found it on here somewhere. Been waiting on VW dealer in this area to call me back all day so I can schedule the appointment.

cryptologic

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
VW dealership can't get me in until the 30th of January. Just odd the heat works on the drivers side pretty good but nothing on the passenger side.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Make sure to check VCDS before assuming it's the heater core. Sometimes it'll be related to the blend doors. Typically a blend door actuator issue will trigger a fault for VCDS, but not a check engine light. A generic code reader will not see these codes.

cryptologic

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Dealer diagnosed it as the heater core. Took them almost a month to get the parts. While waiting on them I got a coolant leak. Water pump sprung a leak it seems. VW wanted $1900 to replace. I bought a kit with all the belts and the water pump and got a diesel mechanic I worked with to do the work. Only cost $950 total. VW dealer won't touch the heater core until the water pump was fixed. Now I'm trying to reschedule the heater core repair. Will be summertime before I get heat.