Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

Zapkat

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline
I suppose I'm lucky. I sold my '13 Beetle back in late June, 2017 and bought a '13 Jetta 2.5 gasser to replace it. It was ok, loved the interior space, but the difference in engine performance was VERY noticeable. After 15 months we traded it in for a '14 Jetta TDI and couldn't be happier. The gap between TDIs and switching to a different model has meant that if there's a difference in performance, we don't notice it. Happy to be back in the fold!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Our '14 GSW goes in for an O2 sensor that VWoC said it required post fix. Wife has it Kelowna so hopefully it goes smoothly. They said it would be less than 3hrs so no loaner for her.

Last edited:

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
i'm getting real antsy with this nonsense.....im returning my car on monday and i'll have my new car ready to go, Ricepoint rep leaves a reminder message on my phone about items to bring and again mentions original wheels after i specifically told them on my 20 day call that i dont have them and havent had them for 2+years.

update: told them what happened, guy made a phone call with pictures and all was ok.

thanks for all your help on this thread

Last edited:

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Dropped my car off on Monday for the repair/fix I found out yesterday it's on hold vw Canada stopped the fix. No more info just it's stopped they will do my heater core yet again and grab my car tomor.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Took the 2014 Jetta to Midtown Toronto VW on Thursday morning for the Gen 1 Fix. Service rep walked me over to Enterprise to pick up a 2019 Jetta rental.

ready for pick up at the end of the day with two stickers under the hood. Waiting for the restitution cheque.

Noticed some minor changes in DSG gear shift ranges and little noisier engine..may be placebo effect having been in a 2019 Jetta gasser.

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
What happens if i buy 2010 Q7 lightly damaged from a business selling Used vehicles with a Salvage Title ?? When i asked if the Q7 has had it VW /Audi Emissions updated , he didn't answer the question ,How can i find out get the VIN# and call a dealer or etc. ?? Any ideas .

Rickmurray

TDI
2010 golf
I am a dealer in Virginia, USA. Owned a Canadian spec 10 golf when the emissions scandal was announced and still own it. It was never registered in the USA. In the settlement agreement they include auto dealers as part of the class if "located in Canada." My claim was rejected as well as the appeal. Looking for a reference for an attorney in Canada that would file suit against VGOC. I also filed an appeal with VOA which was denied. Any help would be appreciated.

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
I am a dealer in Virginia, USA. Owned a Canadian spec 10 golf when the emissions scandal was announced and still own it. It was never registered in the USA. In the settlement agreement they include auto dealers as part of the class if "located in Canada." My claim was rejected as well as the appeal. Looking for a reference for an attorney in Canada that would file suit against VGOC. I also filed an appeal with VOA which was denied. Any help would be appreciated.
I haven't used the firm , just giving a link.

https://www.mckenzielake.com/practi...s-law/Volkswagen-Emissions-Fraud-Class-Action

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Received this in an email. Heater core is also covered under the warranty now. If anyone had to pay out of pocket for this repair after the fix they can be reimbursed.

Volkswagen Canada
P.O. Box 842, Stn. A
Windsor, ON, Canada N9A 6P2
January 18, 2019

XXXXX XXXXXX

This notice applies to your vehicle: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Update to the Extended Emissions Warranty provided with the Approved Emissions Modification for Volkswagen Model Year 2009-2015 2.0L TDI and Model Year 2009-2016 3.0L TDI

Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,

Previously, you may have received a notice that Volkswagen Group received approval from U.S. regulators, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for an emissions modification to address emissions system issues affecting certain Volkswagen TDI vehicles. This emissions modification was offered to the Canadian market free of charge. Our records show that you are the owner or lessee of a TDI vehicle that received the emissions modification.

As a result of the emissions modification being performed on your vehicle (whether by you or someone else), Volkswagen extended the Emissions Control System Warranty that covers the entire emissions control system of your vehicle, including (1) any and all components replaced as part of the emissions modification, and (2) any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions modification. Your Volkswagen dealer will diagnose and replace eligible components, as necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Information about the time and mileage limits of your warranty extension is available at www.vw.ca/tdiwarranty.

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that, in accordance with regulatory approvals, the list of components covered by this warranty extension has been updated to include the heater core and certain emissions-related parts. As a result, repairs not previously covered may now be included in the extended warranty’s coverage and, if included, eligible for reimbursement.
If, after the emissions modification was performed on your vehicle, you incurred out-of-pocket expenses for a heater core or emissions-related part repair and would like to request reimbursement:

1. Please provide legible copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders and keep the originals for your records. Documents will not be returned. Documentation must include:

a. The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.
b. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the repaired vehicle.
c. A description of the problem and what repair was done, and the name, address and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work.
d. Proof of payment for the repair and the date payment was made (copy of cheque, bank statement, etc.).

2. Please sign and complete the below, and return with the required documentation:

By signing here, I confirm that the statements made in support of my reimbursement request are true and the accompanying documents are actual copies reflecting the actual expense(s) incurred.
Customer’s Signature:

Customer’s Name (please print):

Preferred Phone Number:

E-Mail Address:

3. Please send this completed notice form and the required documentation through one of the following methods:

E-Mail:
vwcanada.inquiry@vw.ca
Mail:
Volkswagen Group Canada Inc.
Attn: TDI Extended Emissions Warranty Reimbursement
777 Bayly St. W., Ajax, ON, L1S 7G7, Canada

Please note:

· Your claim will be reviewed within 60 days of receipt, unless otherwise notified. If your claim is approved, you will receive a cheque from Volkswagen Group Canada. Reimbursement may be limited to the amount the repair would cost if it had been completed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer in Canada.

· If your claim is incomplete, we will contact you and offer you the opportunity to provide additional documentation to support your claim.

· If your claim is denied, we will contact you with the reason(s) for the denial.

If you have any questions regarding this notice please contact Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987 or vwcarecanada@vw.ca.

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
Bosch class action

I emailed them. Not going to get anything.
True. Case was heard October 30, 2018.
E. Conclusion
[54] For the above reasons, the Plaintiffs’ motion is dismissed. If the parties cannot agree about the matter of costs, they may make submissions in writing beginning with Bosch and Volkswagen’s submissions within twenty days of the release of these Reasons for Decision followed by the Plaintiffs’ submissions within a further twenty days.
Found searching https://www.canlii.org
Court File No. CV-16-549639-00CP <--------- supplied by someone earlier in this thread.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
True. Case was heard October 30, 2018.
E. Conclusion
[54] For the above reasons, the Plaintiffs’ motion is dismissed. If the parties cannot agree about the matter of costs, they may make submissions in writing beginning with Bosch and Volkswagen’s submissions within twenty days of the release of these Reasons for Decision followed by the Plaintiffs’ submissions within a further twenty days.
Found searching https://www.canlii.org
Court File No. CV-16-549639-00CP <--------- supplied by someone earlier in this thread.
That court file is the one that certified the class action.

https://kmlaw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-07-16-Entered-Order-Consent-Certification.pdf

As of right now, its still in settlement mode, with the lawyers going back and forth. Bosch tried to say that owners already got 'enough' via VW, but that didn't fly. So as of right now, it's a waiting game.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
Just a quick question, for my 2013 jetta tdi 6sp manual if I did my emission fix around 163 000kms(last year), when does my extended emission warranty expire at 203 000km's?

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Just a quick question, for my 2013 jetta tdi 6sp manual if I did my emission fix around 163 000kms(last year), when does my extended emission warranty expire at 203 000km's?
The greater of:
-10 years and 6 months or 203,000 km,
whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
original in-service date; OR
- 4 years and 6 months or 87,000 km, whichever
occurs first, from the date and mileage of the
completion of the emissions modification.

So no, the GREATER OF wouldn't be the 203k, it would be the other one. So, either 3.5yrs from now or 250k km, whichever comes first.

4g63turbo

TDI
13 TDI 6MT
The greater of:
-10 years and 6 months or 203,000 km,
whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
original in-service date; OR
- 4 years and 6 months or 87,000 km, whichever
occurs first, from the date and mileage of the
completion of the emissions modification.

So no, the GREATER OF wouldn't be the 203k, it would be the other one. So, either 3.5yrs from now or 250k km, whichever comes first.

Thank you bud, you have been great help in this forum!
I remember your clean passat wagon I believe from years before :)

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Thank you bud, you have been great help in this forum!
I remember your clean passat wagon I believe from years before :)
Thanks.

Yes, many years ago.... Friend still owns it, but it's in need of some work to get back on the road.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
In other news:
https://www.consumerreports.org/law...esel-lawsuit-will-compensate-jeep-ram-owners/
I wonder when Canadian owners will get compensation, if any...

Changing topics...Anyone keeps getting recall notices for your surrendered TDIs? We are still getting them in the mail, almost two years after the buyback. I called them about a year ago to make sure they have all the paperwork updated, so we wouldn't receive the notices anymore, but to no avail.

Last edited:

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
"Covered" in what way?
Assume he means covered by dieselgate warranty and can have work done and paid for under the warranty while up there, eh ;-)

I would be interested in knowing as well.

If that isn't what was meant, please clarify.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you are paying out of pocket almost anyone will do the work. But we are talking about warranty issues here. When VW is paying it is different.

The stig jr

TDI
2009 sport wagon
Assume he means covered by dieselgate warranty and can have work done and paid for under the warranty while up there, eh ;-)

I would be interested in knowing as well.

If that isn't what was meant, please clarify.
Yes my 2009 tdi isn't covered in Canada or the states apparently
I wasn't going to get the update done and the service manager talked me into signing for the work to get done.
I signed after telling him that the car was us and wasn't covered under the buy back.
He said the emissions would so I signed to get it done.
Then they called and said the low speed fan was broken so they couldn't do the emissions update.
I fixed the fan and the day before I brought it in the called saying they needed a part and would call when it was in.
I got a call but it was for a regular maintenance schedule.
Now they say the us and Canadian cars have different emissions and they can't get the parts.
I think they have my signature on an update paper and now they don't want to do it because it appears to be don8