Blower motor stopped working. No Heat!

speedR

Veteran Member
Heya, I step into the car today and the windows are all frosted. I turn on the heat to (2) and crank the radio. 15 minutes later there is still frost on the windshield so I turn down the radio and have a listen. Just what I thought no heat is blowing. Nada!

So I'm left with no heat when it's -35 out. Any help? Thanks!

garnet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Jetta
This may seem very stupid but, I had that problem once.
In the passenger floor there is an inlet for air. My newspaper bag got stuck in it once and I had no heat either. Don't know if this helps but take a look down there and make sure nothing is stuck.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Try defrost or the highest speed setting. If it blows then, the problem is the resistor pack that controls the fan speed. If it still doesn't work, it's a fuse or fusable link.

speedR

Veteran Member
Just went to have a look at the fuses. Turn on the car to see if any othe fuses are out and the blower motor turns over when I turn on the ignition /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif . This car scares me some times /images/graemlins/blush.gif

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You didn't indicate what year or model you are working with, but one other spurce of problems could be your ignition switch...

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
Same thing happened to me Speed on my Y2K. Drove me nuts. No blown fuses the fan would work sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't didn't matter the speed. I hooked up a test lite to the blower motor to see if it was the relay or the fan motor and waited until it guit again. A couple of weeks later it did it again and the lite confirmed my fear,it was the blower motor.

Question does your fan howl in cold weather? If so when your fan motor quits again remove the hepa filter, this will let you peer down at the blower squirrel cage. Take a stick and try and move it. Sometimes this will get it going. The problem is the housing around the fan fits so tight in the cold weather it shrinks enough to cause tip rub (howling) or worse the fan won't turn. In the end I paid for a new blower assembly which really pissed me off cause there not cheap!
Good luck
Pete

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Does the blower fan work at any of the speed settings? I'm not sure about VWs but fan speed is regulated on other cars by a blower motor resistor. If resistor is bad fan will work but only at high speed.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
[ QUOTE ]
Question does your fan howl in cold weather?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to know that too. Mine does it on 1, 2 and sometimes setting 3 and it doesn't go away when it's really cold out even when the engine is warmed up. Just thinking it's maybe a impending breakdown of my HVAC fan. dealer always says "nope didn't hear a thing" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tks
Dave

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Another known issue is the squealing they sometimes make. There is a TSB on the blower motor. Don't know how VW is handling it though.

TEJ823

TDI
99.5 Jetta, Green
I had problem with intermitant fan and changed the resistor pack, twice (actually the thermal fuse in the pack) and the blower motor, but found the problem was in the speed control rotary switch. Was fiddleing around (on-off-on-off, push wiggle etc.) and the fan finally stopped working at all speeds and blew the main blower fuse. I still have the old switch panel and plan to tear it down when the garage warms up a bit.