Running hot

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
So the question to me becomes, was it really atypical behavior or did a lot more people have issues that were discounted as normal behavior?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So the question to me becomes, was it really atypical behavior or did a lot more people have issues that were discounted as normal behavior?
That's hard to tell since few people monitor their actual coolant temperature.

I'm comparing my own observations and the observations of others to the description that was once found in the ETKA parts catalog showing an operating range (not a single specific temperature, as is usually found) for the thermostat that included the range of temperatures that we were and still are seeing.

My unqualified opinion is that this operating range is normal and that if it does not exceed the published specs and the temperature gauge is not in the red zone, it is operating as designed. Vehicles may vary slightly based on production year and minor variations in cooling system condition.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Locoelectrician: Do you notice any temperature creep when climbing long grades?

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t have many of those in Ohio, but the most my 15 varies is 2 degrees. The 13 sat at 202 always.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
In fact I pulled a 1000 pound trailer 3 hours from south of columbus to canton and it never moved.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If memory serves I remember our '12 had temps that ranged from 200-220. There were quite a few times, 2-3 times a week, the wife shut it off and the fans were running even though it wasn't going thru a regen.

With the more complex cooling systems of the '15 i can imagine the numbers are more rock steady.

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat

The manual says that the temperature gauge will normally be centered but may go higher when the engine is working hard. Based on that, I think my car may be operating normally.

At 65mph, the RPM is below 2k, so add an incline or strong headwind and the engine may be working hard. However in 5th, the RPM is above 2k, so the engine isn’t working so hard.

Hopefully I’m right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
as long as you are aware of it, keep any eye on it, if you're really concerned, pick up a real tool to monitor temps.

I belive polar fis would really be the ticket as it's virtually seamless with the car, as much as I love the function/support of scan gauge, it's so 80's Radio Shack plunked on the dash.

marcg007

TDI
2013 passat
my 2013 passat tdi manual was rock solid once warmed up, always always 190 when up to temp. weather 0f or 100f out.

one day last summer, about 95k on it at this point. started car to warm up, 90f out, ac running, ran back inside to get multiple boxes for work, got side tracked ,came out about 10 min later to it like 220. from that day on it would fluctuate off 190, rise to 200-210, then drop back down. prior, rock solid 190 no mater how aggressive or economy i was driving

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
my 2013 passat tdi manual was rock solid once warmed up, always always 190 when up to temp. weather 0f or 100f out.

one day last summer, about 95k on it at this point. started car to warm up, 90f out, ac running, ran back inside to get multiple boxes for work, got side tracked ,came out about 10 min later to it like 220. from that day on it would fluctuate off 190, rise to 200-210, then drop back down. prior, rock solid 190 no mater how aggressive or economy i was driving

Did you read the temp from the dashboard gauge or did you use an external gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk