TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
TDIFest 2018: Life after Dieselgate

What is required to host a Fest?
  • Hotel with affordable room rates (sub $150/night)
  • Group activity space (usually a hotel with a conference center or other area where we can congregate for extended periods of time)
  • Event ideas (auto-cross, drag racing, group scenic drive, etc.)
  • Food ideas (people need to eat)
  • Reasonable weather for the time of year (historically Labor Day Weekend, but that isn't set in stone)
  • A local (100 mile radius?) group of people (recommend 3 to 6 dedicated individuals) who can see the process from inception to execution

If you are in an area of the country that you feel is conducive to a TDIFest and you have the time and energy to put into planning a national event for a large group of people (100-200), please post here.

Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.

While I don't have the time to take the lead on any more TDIFests, myself and others will be available to provide some direction. We have a steering committee of about a half-dozen members who have been involved in TDIFests for over a decade, so you aren't alone!

Last edited:

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
I'm not a super regular poster here, but how about Cleveland? It's a wasteland where TDI gurus are concerned, but there's affordable hotels and convention centers, we've got the soon to be two time champion cavaliers, the Indians, and the browns, Cedar point is a short drive west, and the whole area is situated on a beautifully picturesque lakefront setting.
If there's interest, I could put in some work to get things rolling.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
If you consider Cleveland, you have to remember the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame there, and other Hall of Fames short drives from Cleveland too.

jason0423

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
Are you up to plan it?
There was a Fest in Mason Ohio a few years ago......not my Favorite Fest?
I'm up to HELP plan it. I'm local, so I can scout some sites and do some legwork without issue. I've never been to a tdi fest, so I'm not sure I would be a good choice to do all the planning.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I'm up to HELP plan it. I'm local, so I can scout some sites and do some legwork without issue. I've never been to a tdi fest, so I'm not sure I would be a good choice to do all the planning.

PM VeeDubTDI and see what it takes to put a team together to do all the scouting and tasks. The key is finding the hotel/facilities that will allow a large group to have the place for a long weekend and accommodating vendors and activities.

Heck, the last Fest was about as good as it gets and I wouldn't mind seeing another one there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
See if you can recruit some local forum members to help you put a plan together. Ohio certainly has plenty of suitable venues available for a Fest, plus it's convenient to the midwest, New England and the Appalachian mountains... lots of club members within a 500 mile drive.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Again, for the people in the back.

Please do not use this as a casual location suggestion area. Things like "have you considered having a Fest in ______ location?" and "______ location would really be swell" are not productive if you aren't willing to do the work to make it happen.
If you aren't going to put a group together and actually do the ample legwork to make your Cleveland / Eastern US / South Cakalacky / Upper Cracktown / Moncton / Xalisco / Berwyn Fest idea pan out, don't bother posting.

Your assistance in keeping this thread on point is appreciated.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
How many people made up (are needed for) a typical planning group?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How many people made up (are needed for) a typical planning group?
We have done it with as little as two dedicated core individuals (both dedicating significant amounts of time) and as many as a half dozen or so. I would recommend three to six people on your team, with one person steering the ship and keeping the team on track with ideas and deadlines.

Your best bet is to split the work into categories and divide it up among the group members. Some categories include (but are not limited to) merchandise and sales (including cataloging donated auction and raffle items), technical sessions and presentations, awards and car show, group drive and local activities/attractions, budget and registration, and information and outreach (including inviting vendors to participate).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
PLEASE! Do not be put off or dissuaded by the negativity of those of us old farts from the peanut gallery that have been there, done that, got the T shirt.
It is necessary for new ideas and opinions of what a larger gathering of diesel fans might want to use as an excuse to get out of town for a few days. Those that HAVEN'T attended a prior event don't have any pre-conceived notions of what has to be done just because it's been done that way before.
If you think you have a good idea, or even a just so-so idea, let it out. There is a ersatz support group of prior event organizers and volunteers that can be used as sounding boards to help explain why what worked for that event worked, why what didn't work that time failed, and to share thoughts on what they'd do differently under the same circumstance. Understand that each circumstance / event is different and what didn't work once doesn't automatically mean it wouldn't work in a different place and a different time.
Keep an open mind. Filter the opinions of the curmudgeons, but don't totally ignore them. And above all, offer suggestions, don't merely express wishes.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
PLEASE! Do not be put off or dissuaded by the negativity of those of us old farts from the peanut gallery that have been there, done that, got the T shirt.
I thought there was only one person who has ALL the TDIFest T-shirts! :eek: :D He is in the NE region - I'm sure you know who I mean... ;)

As for Fest proposals doesn't look like anyone is beating down Lawson's door for advice - at least publicly on this forum. As always people are quick to say I want it held at (insert place name here) but don't really offer to organize same. Been seeing this pattern the last few years. Know some of you live for the Fest and hope a valid proposal comes along soon so it can happen in 2018 or 2019...

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
If anyone in the VA/NC/SC area needs some help planning, i'd be willing to help out and join in. I'd love to have it down here but there's no or only a few forum members within 150 miles. lol. Too bad too, we've got two marine air bases, a nascar sanctioned race track, a drag strip and of course, beaches galore. lol. anyway. i'm volunteering my time to help if anyone is considering and needs help.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'd show up with or without a diesel just to hang out and see everybody.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Been to every one but 2......3 times I showed up in Non TDI vehicles....2 times in my Chevy HHR SS and once in a Jetta Hybrid.....and will soon be TDI less for the 1st time since 1999
Yes I will attend depending on location

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I think somebody should smack me in the forehead before I volunteer to organize a Fest in Syracuse.... NY State Fair is going on through Labor Day, tons of hotels, magnificent drives around the Finger Lakes, and pretty easy to get to. There are tasks I'd like to farm out, however, like yucky budget stuff. :eek:

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I think somebody should smack me in the forehead before I volunteer to organize a Fest in Syracuse.... NY State Fair is going on until Labor Day, tons of hotels, magnificent drives around the Finger Lakes, and pretty easy to get to. There are tasks I'd like to farm out, however, like yucky budget stuff. :eek:
Do It !Do It! Do it!

I would even help from Boston, if there is something I could do from my office in Bridgewater, besides calling people (I HATE calling people!).

I'm an SU alumni, I've got a daughter there for 3 more years, so you have a couple of years :).

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think somebody should smack me in the forehead before I volunteer to organize a Fest in Syracuse.... NY State Fair is going on through Labor Day, tons of hotels
State Fair probably means the hotel rates are higher than normal already plus will be more of a challenge to book a suitable hotel for rooms and banquet facilities. Probably be cheaper to do it on weekend after Labor Day to avoid the holiday and State Fair - just a thought here...

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You lose a day then.....
I'm sure you are aware as a long time member of this forum that while the tradition is to hold the Fest on Labor Day weekend that is not set in stone and it can be moved to another date. I was merely pointing out that costs should be lower if not held on Labor Day weekend.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
One of the benefits of Syracuse is it's cheap. I did a couple quick searches for Labor Day weekend and rates for decent venues are "off the rack" <$125/night. I don't think the NYS Fair is a big seller for area hotels.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I am very aware as a person who has attended all TDI Fests but 2 that it has only been held one or 2 times outside of Labor Day weekend and if it's one less day I will not attend....
Picky, picky, picky... :D