P2015 intake manifold flap fix how-to

simpixelated

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks Jim. I didn't take pictures, but from poking around with my flashlight and screwdriver it looks like the other end of the ball joint socket (black plastic part) is fairly loose on the side that connects to the intake manifold. I can move it back over the "ball" part of the meta joint, but it just slips off to the side again.

It's firmly connected on the other plastic ball joint closest to me, on the flap motor where the Dieselgeek shim is connected. So I don't think that's the issue. Is it possible the other side of the plastic ball joint socket is just worn out? Can that be replaced? Have been searching online but have yet to find that part for sale (or what it's even called).

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
It sounds like the black plastic "linkage bone" has seen better days from running too far in either direction for too long. I am sending you a prototype fix today but I'd like to communicate via email from now on. We'll have you back on the road without a CEL very soon.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm interested in a prototype fix arm. You've mentioned it in the past when I asked about one almost a year ago.

You shouldn't ever use an e-clip since they don't help anything. With a new plastic arm you won't need to do anything else but install it.

Hey Jason, have you installed our repair bracket? Is the plastic linkage arm coming off of the big plastic motor arm ball or the little ball back on the metal crank arm? We can fix you up, either way.

It sounds like the black plastic "linkage bone" has seen better days from running too far in either direction for too long. I am sending you a prototype fix today but I'd like to communicate via email from now on. We'll have you back on the road without a CEL very soon.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Contact us directly at Dieselgeek. We do not have new linkage arms though. There is not a compelling reason to make them.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
What's wrong with discussing the options here in the thread?

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Just installed the dieselgeek bracket on my ‘13 Jetta sedan with 84,000 on the clock. CEL is still on, but i’ll wait a few days to see what happens.

Maybe an unrelated question for this particular post, but was anyone else told that VW would not perform the fix or buy the car back if the CEL was on?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Just installed the dieselgeek bracket on my ‘13 Jetta sedan with 84,000 on the clock. CEL is still on, but i’ll wait a few days to see what happens.

Maybe an unrelated question for this particular post, but was anyone else told that VW would not perform the fix or buy the car back if the CEL was on?
it is semi-related.

the fix requires clean errors, or at least those related to engine and emissions (stuff which would be covered by VW after the fix for four years or more)

the buyback only requires the car moves under its own 2.00 liter tdi power.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon

I remember after I installed the bracket, the CEL light didn't immediately went off. But CEL was gone within a short period later, can't remember how long, probably after a couple ignition start/restart or couple hours of driving.

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Update:

After about 2 dozen starts and about 200 miles of driving, my CEL hasn't gone off. Yes, the part is installed correctly. I think at this point, I am going to replace the entire manifold myself.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Update:

After about 2 dozen starts and about 200 miles of driving, my CEL hasn't gone off. Yes, the part is installed correctly. I think at this point, I am going to replace the entire manifold myself.
Is a P2015 still your only fault code? Do you have access to VCDS? You really should find someone near you who has it. Before spending money on a new manifold, you should read the value of the sensor to ensure that the device is correctly installed. Then manually clear the fault code. If it comes back again (as a P2015) then you have another issue. Not all fault codes clear themselves.

Also, before buying and installing a whole new manifold, I would strongly suggest getting support from Jim (DieselGeek). Dieselgeek's technical support is second to none. They have seen it all and they can talk you through most problems.

Have Fun!

Don

R87

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Update:
Update to the update:
Before spending the money to buy a new manifold, I figured I'd go over everything one more time to save myself the $400 dollars. I took the whole flap motor off again, and started from square one. Turns out, I did NOT have it installed correctly the first time.:rolleyes:
On the installation video, it shows just how perfectly aligned the bracket needs to be in order for it to actually fix the problem. It turns out, I was off by a few millimeters at best, which made the difference. I buttoned everything back up, and started it up. When you turn the engine off, you can hear the flap motor open and close a few times. I finally heard this, which was quite welcomed...it wasn't doing that the first time I put the bracket on.
Took it for a test drive and spun it up to 3,000 RPM a few times. Parked and turned it off, and turned it back on and NO check engine light :D
I can't stress enough to check and check and check again to ensure that the bracket fits snugly and correctly.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
it is semi-related.

the fix requires clean errors, or at least those related to engine and emissions (stuff which would be covered by VW after the fix for four years or more)

the buyback only requires the car moves under its own 2.00 liter tdi power.
Hi all,

I read through not all but some of these threads...sorry if I missed what I am asking..

So, since VW wants such codes related to engine, fuel and emissions..clear before the fix..

So, what if I HAD the fix, and it is NOW that I am getting P2015.

I can see how this overextension over time happens...but if VW rejects to do fix with this code.....does it not mean they would COVER to fix this code AFTER the FIX??

I am low on $ and while Dieselgeek's bracket is inexpensive compared to what VW would want to replace manifold ($900), but obviously zero is better if VW would cover this AFTER the fix?

I looked at Extended Warranty items and did not see specifically the manifold motor...

Last, what about the clause "The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train."

Do these, or the other paragraphs in this section, support claiming this to be fixed?

What about P1951 and P1948"...also codes after fix

Help!
Thanks

PS. Jim, kudos in advance to you for your inventiveness and awesomeness in what I am becoming informed as to your helping us avoid "stealer" remedies with unnecessarily high price tags for us working folk. :)

Last edited:

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
mdl3r1,

Thanks for the good words on my fixes. I really appreciate them!

If you already had the emission updates done to your car by VW and then you got the P2015 code afterwards then you would be entitled to get a free manifold from VW under the new emissions warranty. The only downside is that the error will come back down the road (80k-120k average) and they will have to open up your fuel system to swap the manifold which has a little risk to it. Our repair bracket doesn't require opening the fuel lines.

The P1951 (coolant fan jammed?) and P1948 (coolant fan control module inop) are probably things that you would need to fix on your own.

Thanks

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My car is at the dealer for the airbag recall and my P2015 code is on at the moment, so I asked about getting the manifold under the extended warranty after the fix. My dealer doesn't think the manifold is covered, but they said they're going to check with VW. I'm also getting a price for a manifold if it isn't covered, but I told them I might go with the aftermarket dieselgeek repair bracket depending what they have to say.

My car was fixed with the more primitive repair of adding a small screw as a stop. It worked for a while, but not anymore. I don't know if maybe it moved a little. The mechanic said they used loctite, but I have the code again and it comes back about every other start/stop if I clear it. I had asked for the repair bracket, but my instructions were lost in translation from the person on the phone when I made the appointment.

I had the CP3 pump when I got the fix, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I also didn't remove the screw, so they may say I tampered with the thing and that's why it's broken. I'm hoping if it's under warranty they won't care about anything else and they'll just fix the car. I should know later today.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^It sounds like I'll have a brand new manifold on Wednesday! VW approved the repair under the warranty! They didn't actually do the work today. I rescheduled for Wednesday (2-days from now) so I can use my car tomorrow.

Yahoo! Thank you VW!

jcruse64

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
mdl3r1,

Thanks for the good words on my fixes. I really appreciate them!

If you already had the emission updates done to your car by VW and then you got the P2015 code afterwards then you would be entitled to get a free manifold from VW under the new emissions warranty. The only downside is that the error will come back down the road (80k-120k average) and they will have to open up your fuel system to swap the manifold which has a little risk to it. Our repair bracket doesn't require opening the fuel lines.

The P1951 (coolant fan jammed?) and P1948 (coolant fan control module inop) are probably things that you would need to fix on your own.

Thanks

Another good word for Jim and his stuff. I've had the P2015 code for a while, and finally decided to do something about it, after reading this thread and looking at the Diesel Geek site. It was VERY easy to install. My engine light did not go out, but I was due for service on mine, with a local guy that works on VW's, and he told me the P2015 code was gone (still had code for glow plug with pressure sensor, which he fixed). Very pleased with this, and no code to worry about when I schedule for my emissions settlement fix this fall. My VW mechanic really liked your fix, also.

otis_bartleh

TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
YES! I should post my great experience as well... I picked up a P2015 code and found this post in my research. Bought the DieselGeek part and VERY easily installed it (using that great tip about the forceps on the spring). I have VCDS, but decided to try and let the fix clear the light. I just sat there and started and turned off the engine. On the 4th or 5th start, the light turned off, telling me the fix did it's job, very cool!

I then went and cleared the code even though the light was off, just to get rid of the dormant code, but this is probably the best part and easiest repair for a check engine light issue in years... The part is perfectly machined and fits like it's factory. THANK YOU to the original poster and to DieselGeek!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
?
What's wrong with discussing the options here in the thread?

Contact us directly at Dieselgeek. We do not have new linkage arms though. There is not a compelling reason to make them.
Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Another P2015 code fixed via the DieselGeek Part up in WNY!

I appreciate the support yall!

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
i had the p2015 code. called dealership, brought it in. they scanned it. they covered r&r of a new manifold.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
P2015 code. New intake manifold is being installed by dealer under extended emission warranty. No questions asked.
i had the p2015 code. called dealership, brought it in. they scanned it. they covered r&r of a new manifold.

Yeah, that's VW's way. Instead of actually fixing the reason why the P2015 happens, they let their dealerships make a lot of money replacing entire intake manifolds. What a waste. This is great for owners still covered by a warranty but not so good after the warranty is over.

Keep in mind that this error code will come back because the new manifold still has the same design weakness that caused the old one to fail. Installing the Dieselgeek fix bracket will prevent the problem from occurring again if you intend to keep the car. It would have fixed the problem without replacing the manifold - but it will also prevent it from ever happening again.

Have Fun!

Don

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I installed the dieselgeek repair bracket back in June 2016 at 190,071 miles. Over the last week I had the P2015 code re-appear. I'm over 250k miles. I notice the plastic arm linkage appeared like it wanted to pop off at the end. I took a screw driver and pushed it back on and the CEL went off shortly afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem after installing the dieselgeek bracket?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^My p2015 code was fixed with an old-school method of drilling a small hole and adding a small screw to limit travel instead of using the bracket. Sometime later, like you, the code came back and I saw the plastic arm linkage was out of alignment. I pushed the linkage back into position and the code went away. I was fine after that for a couple of years, but then the code came back again after the fix. This time it appeared the linkage was fine, so I figured the screw was messed up somehow.

I'd read that others received a new manifold from the dealer with the warranty after the fix, so I gave that a shot. It worked! I received a new manifold under the warranty and nobody said anything about having a screw drilled into the old manifold. I don't know if they didn't notice or didn't care.

Last edited:

Luc D

TDI
Jetta TDI 2011
Hi Guy,
I have a 2011 Jetta tdi with 215k kms on it.That stupid P2015 is plaguing me for over 10 months.

I installed 4 new glow plugs last fall. The wiring looks fine. I put an e-clip to keep the ball from popping out. I finally installed the stopper piece but without the e-clip. Erased the P2015 code.

A day later the check engine light turned on again and the same P2015 code reappeared.

What else can I do? The wife is reminding me that the check engine light is still on...

Thank gents for your input.

Last edited:

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
^^My p2015 code was fixed with an old-school method of drilling a small hole and adding a small screw to limit travel instead of using the bracket. Sometime later, like you, the code came back and I saw the plastic arm linkage was out of alignment. I pushed the linkage back into position and the code went away. I was fine after that for a couple of years, but then the code came back again after the fix. This time it appeared the linkage was fine, so I figured the screw was messed up somehow.

I'd read that others received a new manifold from the dealer with the warranty after the fix, so I gave that a shot. It worked! I received a new manifold under the warranty and nobody said anything about having a screw drilled into the old manifold. I don't know if they didn't notice or didn't care.

Thanks for the input.. I'll call the dealer and see about getting an appointment for it.... I'll take the dieselgeek bracket off before taking it to the dealer and hoping the CEL will come back on for them to verify code.