Dash board lights and radio lights.

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
2012 Golf 6 speed manual, 2006 Silverado Duromax dually
Didn't know where else to put this.
Yesterday, I drove for almost four hours at night. My eyes got very irritated by the brightness of the gauges and especially the radio. Finally, I used a napkin, partially inserted into the a/c to cover the radio. That helped, but I'd still like to dim the gauges more.
Has any one ever replaced the light bulbs for the gauges with colored ones?
When I had a Camaro, had some club friends that removed their white bulbs and installed red bulbs. Much easier on the eyes for long drives on dark roads. Really helps preserve your night vision.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
just dim them till you can just make them out as a retired OTR i never had any lights on in the cab at night. light inside the cabin is your worst enemy for night driving.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Didn't know where else to put this.
Yesterday, I drove for almost four hours at night. My eyes got very irritated by the brightness of the gauges and especially the radio. Finally, I used a napkin, partially inserted into the a/c to cover the radio. That helped, but I'd still like to dim the gauges more.
Has any one ever replaced the light bulbs for the gauges with colored ones?
When I had a Camaro, had some club friends that removed their white bulbs and installed red bulbs. Much easier on the eyes for long drives on dark roads. Really helps preserve your night vision.
You do know they can be dimmed right?

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
just dim them till you can just make them out as a retired OTR i never had any lights on in the cab at night. light inside the cabin is your worst enemy for night driving.
I had them as dim as possible, and that is not very dim at all with the radio on.
What I was thinking of doing is taking a wire coat hanger and rigging up a cloth hanger to cover the radio face when driving at night. Maybe get some 5% window tint and make another cover for the gauges if I can't change the colors of the bulbs.

PlaneCrazy, I did know. The dimmer switch was all the way down.

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
Well, talking to another technician, we decided the best thing to do would be to put a toggle switch under the dash to just cut ground from the dimmer switch. Hope it doesn't set a failed light warning on the dash.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Is there a configuration in the radio's set-up to dim it? I do remember, from my Mk VI, there were various configurations possible in the "set-up" menu of the radio. One of the things I did, for example, was remove the digital clock from the radio's face, so that when it was off, the screen was off and blank. There may be a brightness function in there somewhere depending on which radio you have.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
the radio has a display off icon, also the dash lights can be turned off using the dimmer function, just keep hitting the button till they go out.

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
Is there a configuration in the radio's set-up to dim it? I do remember, from my Mk VI, there were various configurations possible in the "set-up" menu of the radio. One of the things I did, for example, was remove the digital clock from the radio's face, so that when it was off, the screen was off and blank. There may be a brightness function in there somewhere depending on which radio you have.
There may be a dimmer setting in the radio settings mode. I'll look into it. I do enjoy music though, so turning it off to gain cabin darkness is out. I'll look into the settings today.

DEAD-BROKE, my dash light dimmer is a wheel, not a button. I turned the wheel as dim as I could, but it won't get very dim, for my taste.

Joe 2012 Golf

TDI
OK, so I got into my radio display settings. It was set on "Darker" I moved down to "Darkest". I'll have to wait until I'm out on a lonely road at night to find out if it makes a big enough difference. If not, there's always the toggle switch options.