Inexpensive TDI EGR Cooler Flapper Valve Leak Fix

TDI_Farmer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have an inexpensive solution to the EGR cooler flapper valve leak. I had that same hissing sound on my 2006 Jetta TDI (with 157K miles). Yes, the leak is coming from what is left of the shaft seal. The seal looks like a ceramic/graphite substance. I fixed it for $2.50 and a few scraped knuckles.

I got some woven gasket material used on wood burning stoves. It looks like rope and is a woven fire-proof material. I presume its Nomex. I used the 1/4 inch round variety (see picture below).

After removing the right drive axle and vacuum actuator, I removed the spring clip. Be VERY CAREFUL. The spring clip has a small barb which must be pushed down while removing. Just use a small screw driver (see picture below).

Scrape out all of the seal from the gallery around the shaft. It crumbles like pencil lead (see picture below).

Cut a thin strip of the Nomex rope lengthwise as if you were trying to make a string about 2 inches long. The braids will fall apart, but the idea is to stuff as much as you can in the gap between the shaft and valve body (an annulus of about 1 mm). Use a small screw driver or pick set. Keep stuffing until the shaft no longer wiggles. Then, cut off 2 ½ inches of the Nomex rope, and insert it into the gallery. Again, use a small screw driver or pick set. Try to make two passes. Loop the first pass against the shaft, coiling outward to a second pass against the galley wall (See figure below).

Take a ¼ inch washer and cut out 6 mm of one side to form a letter “C” (see first picture above).
Slide this “C” clip over the shaft with the open end opposite the spring clip slit.

Here’s the tricky part. Push the C clip down to compress the rope into the gallery with a small screw driver. Simultaneously, reinsert the spring clip back in the slot making sure the prongs go OVER the C clip. This may take a few tries, and visibility is awful. At first, only insert the spring clip 1/16 inch, and then use a dental mirror to confirm both prongs are over the C clip. If so, then push the spring clip all the way. Pushing down on the other side of the C clip helps drive it home. If you have difficulty getting the spring clip started, remove the rope, cut off ½ inch and try again. It took me several tries. Good Tip: Pre-compress the spring clip with a small electrical cable-tie before inserting, and then cut it off when fully inserted.

The final configuration looks like the following figure.

I erred on the side of using too much Nomex rope, and really compressing it, rather than too little rope. The proper amount of compressed rope in the gallery produces a slight resistance on the valve shaft when actuated by hand. As you can see, a little rope sticking out of the open side of the “C” clip. Apparently, this is not an issue because I ran the engine this way, and the lack of hissing was music to my ears. As of this posting, this solution has 3000 miles on it, and all is well. I’ll keep you posted on the longevity of this fix.

Last edited:

TDI_Farmer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm a newbie to this forum and I don't know what happened to my full size jpegs when I uploaded them. I noticed the pictures are full size in the photo section of the TDI club. So, you can look at them there until I figure out how to put the full size images in my post.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Nice fix! Where do you get that fire door gasket rope? I have to replace the seal on my mother's oil furnace firbox access port. Material looks the same.

Tx.

--Nate

TDI_Farmer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, this fix can be done with the EGR cooler on the engine. I did it the same time I replaced the drive axles, so I had plenty of room as shown in the pictures. But, you can just disconnect the inner CV joint from the transaxle flange (six 10 mm bolts) and tie it off to the side temporarily.
I got the gasket material from the same place I purchased my wood burning stove. They had spools of various thickness and shapes.
FYI - as of this post I have 5K miles on this fix and all is well. I'll keep you posted.

K Shanks

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
First off I would like to thank TDI Farmer for a great fix and right when I needed it. I started in on this repair removed the axle and the vacuum actuator bolts. I then expected to apply a small amount of force to remove the socket from the ball, but it didn't come off. Before I break something I will really regret does anyone know if there is a clip or something I am missing or am I just not applying enough force for it to poop off?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If you are pooping taking it off, that is too much force.

From the bottom picture in the first post, there appears to be a clip. This clip will wrap around the end of the shaft right where it becomes the ball. It will pop off the shaft and rotate in the same plane as the rod, then will slide out away from the ball. I have seen this kind of clip many times so I recognize it. I think it's the same kind of clip that holds the hood support on it's ball joints so take a look there so you are familiar with it.

supak111

TDI
2006 TDi Jetta
NEW $5 FIX THAT WORKS:

I tried the one mentioned here but it didn't work for me :-(. Boost/vacuum just blows out the woven oven gasket. If anyone needs this in the future and they will LOL, I just came up with a $5 fix that works and is even easier to do check out this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411630

Last edited: