2006 Jetta TDI Flywhhel Replaced for Second Time

haganr

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen Highline 25,000kms
2006 Jetta TDI Flywheel Replaced for Second Time

Is there anyone out there having to replace their flywheel for a second time? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that has had the DMF flywheel replaced once already in Feb 08 and it is now needing replacement again.

The first time it was replaced was at 77,000kms and now I am at 189,000kms and it needs to be done again, of course I have been delaying the work so it probably really needed done around 160,000kms.

I have contacted VW and they tell me that I am on my own as I am outside the warranty period which I am aware of but feel that 2 replacements in the life of the car is a bit much.

They offered me a $1500 rebate on a new car and when I asked for that to be turned into a dealer credit so I could have the work done they refused saying that it could not be done that way.
The work will cost about $1900(cdn) and I would be more than happy to take a $1500 credit and apply the balance myself.

I strongly advise to be very careful with VW and it's policies as they seem to change to suit VW and not the customer.

Anyone with any insight as to why this needs to be done twice in the life of the car please share with me, if you have any insight as to how to get VW to recognize a manufacturing problem please share!

Thanks

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
DMF's suck. If you change it out this time, put in a SMF. They won't fall appart like DMF's.

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
I wouldn't think so as long as it's the same weight as the DMF?

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
I think this topic has come up before and as far as I recall no one makes a SMF for the DSG transmission, but I am not 100% certain.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
haganr said:
Will that not affect the DSG? I have an automatic Tiptronic transmission.
You did not mention this in your post.

You are S.O.L.

Sorry.

Another reason I hate the DSG.

I have one in my shop that had a hole punched out of it and through the transmission case at 45K miles....

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Jason, have you seconded sourced the DSG yet?

I cant believe its $4500, $700 for flywheel, $1000 labor..

~$6500..Whats a guy to do?

BTW-I hate them too, when it comes to paying for repairs..

jasonTDI

TDI
Mach1 said:
Jason, have you seconded sourced the DSG yet?

I cant believe its $4500, $700 for flywheel, $1000 labor..

~$6500..Whats a guy to do?

BTW-I hate them too, when it comes to paying for repairs..
Nope. Doubt it'll be anytime soon. Have you seen the special toothing on the connection to the crank shaft?

I do agree that is friggin robbery for sure.

It's only 5 hours labor or so.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
To my understanding there was an "updated" DMF, or at least a production of DMFs that had a different end to the model number? I'm getting the impression from this thread that those are about as reliable as the originals. Experts, chime in if I'm wrong.

jasonTDI

TDI
Bout' covers it. They are a total crap shoot but lets say if you live in an area with a lot of hills, traffic, hot rod it, or drive with a big load the life will be shortened.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
haganr said:
Is there anyone out there having to replace their flywheel for a second time? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that has had the DMF flywheel replaced once already in Feb 08 and it is now needing replacement again.

The first time it was replaced was at 77,000kms and now I am at 189,000kms and it needs to be done again, of course I have been delaying the work so it probably really needed done around 160,000kms.

I have contacted VW and they tell me that I am on my own as I am outside the warranty period which I am aware of but feel that 2 replacements in the life of the car is a bit much.

They offered me a $1500 rebate on a new car and when I asked for that to be turned into a dealer credit so I could have the work done they refused saying that it could not be done that way.
The work will cost about $1900(cdn) and I would be more than happy to take a $1500 credit and apply the balance myself.

I strongly advise to be very careful with VW and it's policies as they seem to change to suit VW and not the customer.

Anyone with any insight as to why this needs to be done twice in the life of the car please share with me, if you have any insight as to how to get VW to recognize a manufacturing problem please share!

Thanks
Man that really sucks. I hate to bayonet the wounded, but please consider dumping the DSG already for a proper manual transmission. I think Jason used to refer to the DSG as the $3000 dollar mistake, seems like it is now the $7600 dollar mistake from reading this thread (i.e. the extra $1100 was what you paid for that "dsg upgrade").

Please note due to currency fluctuations between the US dollar and Canadian dollar the amounts might be a tad lower ....

thecbdb

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
The same thing happened to my neighbor's '05 beetle TDI. It had the tiptronic and the flywheel came apart at 88k. The dealer wanted like $8000 to fix it, because they said there was a chance that the engine was damaged so they had to check it out. He wrote a letter to VW's CEO about what a loyal VW customer he's been since the 60s and what not, and sent it with signature conformation. What did he get it return? The same lousy $1500 credit that everyone else was getting. He sold it as is to a local VW shop here for $2500, and now he owns two BMW 740 wagons.

jasonTDI

TDI
Two used 540 wagons. They never made 7ser in a wagon.

Still sucks.

The DSG can be made into a 5 spd. We have not done the mk5 swap yet but did an 04' dsg to manual (beetle)

tatertuned

TDI
12v cummins
i j, bought a 06 jetta w. dsg... plan on chipping and injectors... is that a good idea with all this crap? someone making kits to fix the problem or not?

jasonTDI

TDI
Chipping and injectors? You mean chipping. You don't injector these cars without doing a lot of other mods first. Several thousand dollars worth of mods. Maybe you don't realize the work involved and the parts that need to be replaced when you pull the injectors as well. And no, there is no upgrade for the DSG. You have to limit the torque you send through them as well. For performance, you should have got a manual.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Jason, I almost got in on a clutch pack change on mine, I was looking forward to it, but fell through. The clutch pack wasn't bad priced~$500, I wanted to set one up. Theres a set of shims in there. use a dial indicator to set. Its different the way the DMF and clutch pack interlace and FLOAT in the bellhousing.

I want to see a second source, but dont think that is going to happen. All VW sells is the whole new trans to the tune of $4500, then theres the DMF, fluid, labor, tax..The dealers are getting up to 10 hours labor. Warranty pays 5 hours, once you done one it can be done in 5 hours.

Yea, you dont want to pull DSG's for a living, unless you name your own price..Its a $800 labor job to me..