Mobil 1 variation in color?

SoCalC

Veteran Member
All of it seems to be like a blonde ale.

However today I poured 5-40 TDT and 0-40 within a short time of each other and noticed the TDT was darker, more maple syrup or amber ale like.

The 0-40 was lighter like I remember all other Mobil 1 Ive ever poured looking.... 5-30, 10-30, 5-20, 0-20 even 15-50 though it's been a while.

Is something wrong here or have you seen the same. Both were from containers that had been opened previously but sitting in the garage with no chance of contamination from other liquid... or .01% chance.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Color is meaningless. The darker stuff actually has better flavor anyhoo. :)

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Can’t be meaningless, similar formulation for use in diesel vehicles at least for TDT and 0-40. Any chem engineers out there know why.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's likely the result of a different add. pack. Specifically the dyes in the add. pack.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
ok now we're worrying about the color of our oil? we used to nitpick over viscosity, then ashless dispersant content, then additives, then brand, then refining source, and now color?

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I’m not worried. I’m curious. When you see a bunch of one color then see another it begs the question. It was in garage for no more than year, but thought crossed my mind. I have some other open, color seems to stay same lighter color.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's possible it could have oxidized a bit and become somewhat darker. But the heavy duty engine oils (HDEO) tend to be dyed darker than most other motor oils. As long as it's still nice and translucent it should be good.