Retrofit of Multi-Function Display (MFD)

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
I am a fairly new owner of an '02 Jetta. When I bought it, I wanted the MFD but the salesman told me I could not get it...true?? If not, are there any reasons I could not get it installed now?? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

NJG

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
DO a search under upgrades. It is a good upgrade. depending on where you get the parts about 4-600$

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
I retrofitted a MFD to my 2002 Golf (and wrote most of the posts at the URL's given above). It's a nice mod, but one year later, about all I use it for is the outside air temperature display. It's up to you if you want to spend USD 500 on parts to get an OAT gauge.

If you do go ahead and make the mod, I suggest you get the instrument cluster with the chrome trim rings around the dials. It only costs a few dollars more than the plain black one, and it looks quite nice.

Michael

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I did it and opted for the large pixel version which was more expensive. I like it but I wish I would have applied the money to a Shine suspension instead.

If you decide to do it, on a difficulty scale of 1-5, it's like a 2.5. You will need someone with a vagcom to help you or find a nice dealer that get it to sync up to your cars immoilizer.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I use the ouside temperature and MPG. I also like the text and warning beeps that are different from the regular cluster.

Also, when the temp drops below 39deg F it chimes and flashes to get your attention.

Yes, it's not much for the money I agree but have no regrets.

Lowest Price for the Cluster in the US

andrewy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Not being familier with the inside of the instrument cluster, I wonder if there was room in the standard cluster to simply add in a raw-format graphical LCD display panel. I've seen several Windows LCD driver routines that are designed to send serial info to these panels in the proper format. Then, maybe a DDE interface could be hooked into VAG-COM to allow VAG-COM codes, or outside temperature, or other engine parameters to be displayed on this panel. Sort of a MFD on crack!

Just my $.02

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
EetSoot:

Do you get any additional information presented to you on the large pixel display that is not available on the smaller (half height) display?

I know that the cars in Europe with the RDS radio system display the radio station name, details about the song, etc. in the upper area of the display - does your North American radio display any information there (e.g frequency tuned)?

Michael

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
On my large pixel cluster I get RDS, and the Navigation Directions when I am using the NAV system. Also, all the warning messeges are displayed in either Yellow (for Warnings) to RED (for Critical Systems)

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
What I like about the big pixel display is that when a door is open a large icon of the car appears and shows which door, hood, or trunk is open. It reminds me of my first car, 1977 Honda Accord.

The other nice thing is that the cd track number, channel number and preset munber appear in the cluster. So when I have drinks on my holder I can still see the radio info. That info is from the stock double din stereo. If ever I have $1000 burning a hole on my pocket and can't think of anything to do with it, I'll do the MFD mod. Until then my little HP 548 PDA with gps will have to do.

There's a funny thing about GPS and mapping software, 99.9% of the time I already know where I'm going and how to get around a strange city. I find myself just looking at the gps to see if it's correct.

I still think a the Shine offers more enjoyment for the money but I'm not planning on getting rid of my cluster either.